Lisa and the Devil is a 1973 horror film by Mario Bava.
The story revolves around Lisa Reiner (Elke Sommer), an American tourist in Toledo, Spain. Upon seeing a painting of The Devil in the town square she comes across Leandro (Telly Savalas), a mysterious butler resembling the devil in the painting. Getting lost, she is given a ride by a kind couple and they end up staying in a mysterious mansion full of dark secrets and Mind Screw.
The film's confusing nature made it bomb at the box office. When the film was brought to America (under the title House of Exorcism) it was heavily edited from the original version and had a different story to be closer to The Exorcist, which was growing in popularity at the time. It did even worse than the original.
Tropes seen in this film:
- Affably Evil: Leandro might be the Devil, but he is polite and jovial.
- All Women Are Lustful: In the House of Exorcism remake, the women's libido is exponentially increased, especially Elena's.
- Creepy Housekeeper: Leandro, the butler of the household. Not only is he heavily implied to be The Devil himself before he outright admits he's a demon when he's talking to Lisa's unconscious body, but he also collects, repairs, and plays around with disturbingly human-like dolls.
- Demonic Possession: In the House of Exorcism remake Lisa gets possessed by a demon or angry spirit of some kind. The demon is heavily implied to be Elena.
- Dude Magnet: Maximilian and his father Carlos are in love with Lisa who they believe is Elena reincarnated. Leandro is also implied to be attracted to her, as he kissed her once while she was unconscious.
- Fan Disservice: Getting Elke Sommer (one of the most gorgeous women of her time) naked was probably welcomed by certain members of the audience, but doing so by having Maximilian drug her and strip her in an (ultimately failed) attempt at raping her as part of his belief that she is Elena most certainly not so much.
- Mama's Boy: Maximilian is this. In the House of Excorsism remake he committed incest with his mother.
- Mind Screw: The entire film is full of mind screw.
- Reincarnation Romance: Maximilian believes that Lisa is Elena reincarnated.
- Your Cheating Heart:
- Elena was cheating on Maximilian with Carlos, who was cheating on his wife with her.
- The young wife of an older man is having an affair with their attractive driver.