Watch the whole film on YouTube here.
This short film provides examples of:
- Accidental Bargaining Skills: Moki starts the dowry negotiations with a demand for three cows (an average price, but considered ridiculously exorbitant for a homely girl considered almost too old to get married), and Johnny Lingo raises it to eight cows.
- Adaptational Name Change: Mahana's character is named Sarita in the original short story.
- An Aesop:Johnny Lingo: Many things can happen to make a woman beautiful. The thing that matters most is what she thinks of herself.
- Beautiful All Along: Mahana goes from everybody calling her ugly to one of the most beautiful girls on the island.Johnny Lingo: I have loved her ever since we were children. She was always beautiful.
- Creepy Children Singing: "Johnny Lingo had a cow / Trade it for an ugly wife / Johnny Lingo's married now / He'll be sorry all his life"
- Dowry Dilemma: Averted. Johnny Lingo has no problem paying eight cows for Mahana's dowry.
- The Freelance Shame Squad: Almost everybody laughs at Moki for demanding a dowry of three cows for Mahana to Johnny Lingo.
- Gasp!: Everybody gasps when Johnny Lingo offers eight cows for Mahana's dowry.
- Greek Chorus: The American shopkeeper provides commentary on the story.
- Protagonist Title
- Tree Cover: Mahana can usually be found hiding in the trees.