A 1999 horror film from Shinya Tsukamoto, director of Tetsuo: The Iron Man.
Yukio is a successful doctor living during the Meiji era. His life is turned upside down when he is kidnapped and imprisoned by a mysterious doppelgänger who then proceeds to take over his identity.
This movie provides examples of the following:
- Always Identical Twins
- Cain and Abel: Sutekichi and Yukio.
- Distinguishing Mark: Sutekichi has a unique birthmark on his leg that looks like a snake.
- Evil Twin: Sutekichi functions as this although it's a bit complex.
- Separated at Birth: Sutekichi was rejected by his parents due to his birthmark and forced to live in the slums.
- Thrown Down a Well: Sutekichi imprisons Yukio this way.
- Twin Switch: What Sutekichi does to Yukio.
- Urban Segregation: The upper class and the slums.
- Unusual Eyebrows: Given the setting, the elite are distinguished by a lack of eyebrows.
- Your Cheating Heart: It's revealed that Yukio's wife was carrying on an affair with Sutekitchi well before the switch.