An Australian independent Black Comedy film, first released at Melbourne International Film Festival in 2016, and in cinemas in 2017, based on a short film released in 2014.
Ethan is a teenage emo who has just been expelled from private school for attempting suicide. Upon arriving at public school, he meets a beautiful girl named Trinity, and the two are immediately attracted to each other. Unfortunately, Trinity and her friends also happen to be Christian evangelicals who would like nothing more than to convert him. Meanwhile, Ethan wants to join the school's emo rock band Worst Day Ever, lead by Bradley, who hates Christians more than he hates his parents. As tensions between the emos and the Christians escalate, Ethan finds himself torn as he tries to work out what it is he really wants.
This film provides examples of:
- Adorkable: Ethan is this, most evidently during 'You're Safe With Me'.
- Alpha Bitch: Isaac is a rare gender-inverted version.
- Ambiguously Gay: Bradley - Roz indicates that she wouldn't mind dating him, but he's against it, and he expresses attraction to and a desire to sleep with Doug Skeleton, although it's unclear if it's genuine or just part of his hero worship and wanting to be 'alternative'.
- Beta Couple: Josh and Peter.
- Cure Your Gays: Peter went to conversion therapy to try and invoke this prior to the events of the movie, and is sent back after Isaac catches him and Josh together towards the end. It doesn't work.
- Dumb Blonde: Jay, though he does express genuine interest in science.
- Emo Music: Both used and parodied, naturally.
- Gayngst: Peter's subplot, brought to a head with "Electrified".
- Heteronormative Crusader: Isaac is one, as well as Peter's family, presumably.
- I Just Want to Have Friends: Ethan's true motivation, which he states in the opening song 'I Dream Of A World'
Who don't kick me when I fall
In fact, I'd do for any friends... at all
- Ironic Echo: Isaac tries to convince people Jamali's pregnancy was immaculate to absolve responsibility. She tells him the same thing at the end of the film.
- The Stinger: Josh checks into Peter's conversion therapy ward with a crowbar, presumably to break him out.
- Straight Gay: Josh definitely qualifies, as does Peter to a lesser extent.