Proof that the remaining 10% is worth catching a round from Stonehenge here.
These are recommendations made by Tropers for Ace Combat fanfics, all of which have to be signed to stay on the page. Feel free to add a fanfic of your own to the list, but remember to use the template found here.
You can also add to the current recommendations if you want. Refrain from posting Conversation in the Main Page though; that goes in the discussion page.
- Recommended by owlbot
- Status: Dead
- Synopsis: An in-depth novelization of the penultimate mission in Ace Combat 5, "Aces", depicting what happened mere hours before Osean and Yuktobanian armed forces ceased warring with each other and allied together to face the common threat of mutual destruction to the climatic mission itself. Rather than follow the exploits of the ace squadron of the game, however, the story gives focus to the nameless NPC soldiers that made the victory possible.
- Comments: Sudentor takes the second-to-last mission (and possibly the most climatic one) in Ace Combat 5 and brings it down to a ridiculously in-depth level. Using what is almost a 24-styled pacing, the author chooses to detract from the traditional formula of following whatever ace fighter squadron the game depicts, and tells how events transpired and came to be with excruciating detail through the eyes of allied NPC soldiers heard only through radio chatter. The chapters are quite long but very well-written, and the story progresses along beautifully and realistically, but of obvious concern is the fact that it took the author two and a half years to write Chapter Two after publishing Chapter One. While Sudentor has said that Chapter Three should be the last chapter and it would be completed as soon as possible, one would worry that it may take another two years before we can see the conclusion to this in-depth novelization.
- Recommended by Gentlemens Dame 883, Liquid Uranium, Zero XSEED
- Status: Dead
- Synopsis: A novelisation of Ace Combat 5: The Unsung War/Squadron Leader. Four years after the ISAF defeats Erusia, the legendary Mobius One disappears. A year later, the CircumPacific War starts. This time, however, Blaze hides a secret, one that threatens to be revealed as his past catches up with him.
- Comments: Taking the stand that Mobius One and Blaze are one and the same (it's no spoiler, the story tells us as much a few paragraphs in!), the story does a good job of developing him into a real character instead of the AFGNCAAPs of the games. One of its key points is its attempt to adhere to realism, averting amongst others the games' Hyperspace Arsenal and Easy Logistics, with a few dry Hung Lampshades or Take Thats, and for the most part (bar, say, Mobius One having been a still-active Two Star Badass before his "disappearance") it succeeds.
- Definitely the best Ace Combat story I've read. The author manages to take a silent, completely undeveloped protagonist and make him into a compelling character. The character development interludes are well-executed, and the attention to detail throughout the story is excellent. - Liquid Uranium
- The story is effective in how it 'rewrites' the story's technical details, while preserving the broader narrative. For example, during the Port St. Hewlett attack's second phase it's the Osean carriers' F/A-18 Hornets going on anti-ship sorties while Wardog Flight provides top cover, and there's a scene where the game version of the Stonehenge attack is deconstructed as completely exaggerated by the media, "a common misconception." However, there are some bumps in the plausibility, such as a "nugget" (newbie) pilot not recognizing immediately that him in a F-5E Tiger versus anyone in a F-22 Raptor (much less Mobius One/Blaze) is him being set up for a humbling.
- Indeed, The "Nuggets in the F-5" issues aside, there's few, if any, jarring content. Blaze/Ribbon even repeatedly lampshaded that ego is a pilot's worst enemy, and he's prone to berate himself when HIS own ego slip. Also kudos for addressing the "Implied Love Interest" status of Edge and made it believable, as in "Not happening soon, but far from impossible". Sadly, the fic haven't been updated since 2009.
- Recommended by Scherzo
- Synopsis: Taking place 2 years after the end of the Continental War, a young female pilot is forced to face the reality of warfare and life in general as she fights to stop a Fascist insurgency as a member of Erusea's Foreign Legion.
- Comments: Rather than trying to create a ridiculous plot in which the pilots are invincible, The Author focuses on combat's effects on a pilot. It is neither Anti-War or Pro-war. Instead, he focuses on the real decisions pilots need to make, and the stresses they go through in consequence. Very well written; it can be enjoyed by people who only have a passing interest in the AC franchise, as it paints a much fuller world than the one that exists in the games. The dialog is good as well, although several of the characters could be better fleshed out. Overall, though, its an exciting read (as well as one that has been completed) that will be appreciated by anyone looking for a more realistic version of Strangereal.
- Recommended by Inukai 44
- Status: Complete
- Synopsis: Taking place Six years after the Circum-Pacific War and a couple months after the Emmerian-Estovakian war, you play as Karla Weiss an former fighter pilot that has fought in the Circum-Pacific war that has been recruited by a mercanary force called Artimis Security and an organization that was born from a long over war finally reveals itself.
- Comments: A well-written story from Merc Command that deals with some of the lore from Ace Combat and also adds his own villains and characters for this story along with characters from some of the AC games make an appearance as well. Though some of the plot threads are left hanging by the end of the story it is well worth the read.
Grundergram by sillygoodness
- Recommended by Gentlemens Dame 883
- Status: Ongoing
- Synopsis: A mostly comedic retelling of Ace Combat 7: Skies Unknown through not-Instagram posts and comments, in which Trigger proves quite the chatterbox and unexpected guests crash the party.
- Recommended by Final Gamer, PDR1010, Silverstein222, Rethkir
- Crossover with My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic
- Status: Complete
- Synopsis: The Griffin Kingdom prepares an invasion on Equestria and when the Wonderbolts are incapacitated by two griffin aces, a group of pegasus ponies, assembled by Firefly, becomes the land's main aerial defense force, supporting each other in the hardest of times. It's a story of revenge, friendship, sadness, struggles and sacrifices, a war which will change the lives of many a pony and griffon...
- The first story from Ace Combat: Equestria Chronicles mini-series. A sequel, Ace Combat: Wings of Unity, is dormant, last updated Mach 2018.