- My name is Alice Walker. I know, I know, I'm not from Japan.
The Second-Hand Fool is a Troll Fic written by Kawaiiwolf3, the author of Swimming in Terror, set in the Persona 4 universe. Just like SiT, Fool is about a Mary Sue joining the main character's main team and being so much better than them.
Fool follows a girl named Alice Walker, an American school girl who is so smart, she got accepted into a transfer program, bringing her to Inaba. She arrives with Yuu Narukami, and the same events start happening. Alice gains the Universe Arcananote to fight against the killer. It's a classic Mary Sue story, but it's interesting to note that Katie actually drew all of the art for each chapter, though the other character art are all from dollmakers.
The most interesting part of it is that, while Alice is obviously a Sue, there's a secondary character that's a legit OC for Katie, named Haruka Fujiwara. While the fic has just started, Haruka is shaping up to be the only one who won't be taking Alice's shit.
There are six semi-long chaptersnote out so far. Chapter one is here.
To keep this friendly for everyone, please mark spoilers for the game.
Tropes Associated with The Second-Hand Fool
- Ascended Extra: The weather girl on the roof in P4 becomes one of Alice's friends, Haruka Fujiwara.
- Curb-Stomp Battle: Alice utterly destroys Haruka's Shadow with two Garu spells.
- Dreaming of Things to Come: Alice gets messages in her dreams from the Velvet Room. She also got the Universe Arcana that way.
- Gratuitous Japanese: Par for the course when Kawaiiwolf is involved.
- Heroic Blue Screen of Death: Haruka suffers one when she first confronts her Shadow.
- I Just Want to Be Normal: According to Alice's bio, the reason her Shadow shows up. It hasn't happened yet, but once she accepts it, it turns into her Ultimate Persona.
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero!: Alice ends up leading Haruka to the latter's Shadow.
- Out of Focus: The main cast get cast aside in favor of focus on Alice.
- Purple Prose: Especially when she's describing Yukiko.
- Protagonist-Centered Morality: Lampshaded in the fifth chapter, with Alice's idea of splitting up being taken as a good idea... until Haruka says what a stupid idea it was.
- Troll Fic: The author of SiT strikes again!
- Running Gag: Narukami saying "I'm worth it," because of a misspelling in Chapter 1 (she misspelled "okay" as "olay).
- Everyone ignoring Alice.
- Stealth Pun: Nekomimisama, her base Persona, is a pun on nekomimi (cat ears) and kamisama (god). Her Ultimate Persona, Mewnekamisamami, is even more obvious that it's "cat eared goddess."
- What the Hell, Hero?: Haruka gives one to Alice after the latter ran off because she was bored.
- And Alice gets another one from Haruka in Chapter 7, almost revealing that Haruka was trans again.