Ash Coat: Sure, I wondered. Maybe we simply didn't have enough information to teach our foals, or to write about them. Maybe they never even existed. Maybe my niece is obsessed with mythological beings. (Looks her in the eye) Or maybe... Just, maybe... Someone didn't want anypony to know about them. Maybe somepony with enough power decided that all traces of them should be removed.
Nearly a year since Nightmare Night has passed, and just about everypony in Equestria has come to accept Luna as their loving co-ruler. Regardless, the Princess of the Moon wishes to give something back to her people. Tonight, she shall give them Equestria's first ever Night Show, a stunning display of nocturnal and astral wonders! But then the mystery begins. There is something troubling both the Royal sisters, and Twilight is determined to find out what. But what she may find may not be what she expects...
This My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic Fan Fic contains examples of the following tropes:
- Absurdly Sharp Blade: The punching dagger, or "katar." Also counts as a rare example of shown their work, in both the actual name of the blade, as well as Ash Coat's description of its assembly.
- Abusive Precursors: Humans are this, as far as Celestia is concerned.
- Almighty Janitor: Both Ash Coat and the Groundskeeper show shades of this.
- Amusing Injury: Chirp appears to be prone to these. While he seems to like books, books, it would seem, do not like him.
- Anti-Magic: Human technology appears to be made of magically resistant metals that seem at least ten times heavier when moved by telekinesis.
- Batman in My Basement: Twilight Sparkle hides Chirp, a human, in her library.
- Catapult Nightmare: Luna has this reaction to her Nightmare. So, almost justified.
- Cute Mute: Chirp. Can't talk, but communicates via whistling Harpo Marx style. Word of God is the author drew quite a bit of inspiration for him from the vaudeville actor.
- Fun Personified: Chirp appears to be this, though is still outmatched by Pinkie. Oh, so much.
- Friends All Along: Zig-Zagged. Since Celestia is Friend to All Living Things, her initially cold welcome of Gladys comes as something of a shock. At least until it's shown they're close enough friends to mess with one-another as such.
- Force-Field Door: A minor version, which traps air and other gasses, but allows solid objects to pass through, is employed in The Vault.
- Intelligible Unintelligible: Chirp.
- Non-Human Sidekick: Pretty much inverted with Chirp.
- OOC Is Serious Business: : In Chapter 3, Pinkie Pie of all ponies becomes a bit unnerved when her Pinkie-Sense doesnt detect Chirp. Twilight talks her down out of it, but she remains uncharacteristically serious through the rest of the chapter.
- Perception Filter: Chirp has this on some level; those who look at him don't "see" him, at least when he tries. It appears to degrade with use, and it only works if someone isn't looking for him.
- Quivering Eyes: Human to non-human example. Chirp attempts this on Twilight, though it mostly has to do with imitating Spike. Twilight does concede, but only so he'll stop.
- Secret Police: The Shadowbolts (actual pegasi recruited by Luna, not Nightmare Moon's illusions), are this.
- Shown Their Work: Nightfyre's flightsuit puts constant pressure on her limbs, ensuring proper blood-flow to the brain during stressful maneuvers. This is the same way real life flightsuits work for jet and fighter pilots.
- This is Gonna Suck: Chirp's reaction to Twilight's plan for hiding him.
- Translator Buddy: Spike, and later Fluttershy, act as translators for Chirp. It's not without flaws, though...Chirp: (Whistles.)Spike:Uh, okay. He says "Hello, it is very nice to meet all of you. I hope that I might get to know you better, and I do hope I havent caused any crumpet for you."Chirp:(Glares).Spike:Oops. Sorry. I mean, caused any trouble for you.