Following the Footsteps of Destiny is a massive Digimon fanfic written by Broken Angel 01 that focuses on the children of the DigiDestined, taking place twenty-five years after the end of Digimon Adventure 02.
Fifteen years have passed since the gates to the Digital World have closed, and the Digidestined have gone on with their lives, raising their families while keeping the Digital World a secret from their kids. However, everything changes one day when six of the kids receive Digivices of their own...
This page is under HEAVY construction and will be updated in time, As will the character sheets.
Following the Footsteps of Destiny contains examples of:
- Always Identical Twins: Mickey and Matty.
- Audience Participation: A few examples over the years. Some of the characters, such as Makku, were conceived by fans that the author is friends with. More recently, she put up a poll asking which of a number of male and female candidates - namely Maori Sugiyama, Sam Ichijouji, Jayden Young, Renmi Igawa, Emma Young, Aya Sugiyama, Rumi Enomoto, and Megumi Takayama, should be Mickey's love interest. Unsurprisingly readers chose Sam to be Mickey's love interest by an overwhelming margin. All the other choices had either never appeared before, or had only had tiny bit parts. Starting with Chapter 295, BrokenAngel01 has started hinting at Sam X Mickey shipping.
- Big Bad: The Ruler of Darkness
- Berserk Button: Mickey and Matty being called a "clone", especially Matty.
- Broken Pedestal: Sam idolizes his father. Then he finds out about his father's past...
- Colour-Coded for Your Convenience
Tai - Crest of Courage - orangeSora - Crest of Love - redMatt - Crest of Friendship - blueMimi - Crest of Sincerity - greenT.K. - Crest of Hope - yellowKari - Crest of Light - pinkKen - Crest of Kindness - violetIzzy - Crest of Knowledge - purpleJoe - Crest of Reliability - black
- Crests (original Digidestined)
Dai - Spirit Chip of Bravery and Digivice - RedMickey - Spirit Chip of Innocence and Digivice - OrangeMatty - Spirit Chip of Faith and Digivice - YellowRyoko - Spirit Chip of Loyalty and Digivice - BlueKara - Spirit Chip of Wisdom and Digivice - GreenSam - Spirit Chip of Compassion and Digivice - Purple
- D-Coders and Spirit Chips
Tal - Data Core of Valour - YellowKenji - Data Core of Integrity - OrangeInca - Data Core of Insight - BlueMai - Data Core of Spirit - PurpleSeta - Data Core of Optimism - Green
- Prime Digidestined Data Cores
- Cuddle Bug: Seemingly EVERYONE, but most notably the twins, Mickey and Matty.
- Everyone Can See It: Most of the budding romantic relationships are obvious to everyone except for MAYBE the people actually involved in the relationship.
- Fallen Angel: DarkAngelicmon
- Finishing Each Other's Sentences: Mickey and Matty have a tendency to do this whenever they're nervous about something.
- Five-Man Band
- Gaydar: Noah is able to tell that Shinji was checking him out, which leads to Makku and Shinji getting together.
- Generation Xerox: The new Digidestined look just like their same-gender parent. When their parents' digimon first see them, in fact, they mistake them for their parents.
- Not only that, but the kids' partner digimon are based on their parent's partner digimon—Dai has a reptilian digimon, like his father (and Tai), Mickey and Matty have angelic digimon, like both of their parents, Kara has an avian digimon, like her mother, Ryoko has a canid digimon, like his father, and Sam has an insect digimon, like his father.
- Happily Married: All of the adult couples, which include those with non-Digidestined, such as Jun. (see Official Couple below)
- Lethal Chef: Mimi, which could also be interpreted as a Take That! to the real Distant Finale/"Where Are They Now?" Epilogue from the real Digimon Adventure 02.
- Loads and Loads of Characters: See the Character Sheet.
- No Loves Intersect: Nearly everyone over the age of 11 has a love interest hinted at who's mutually attracted to them, and there's almost never any overlap.
- Official Couplenote
- Davis and Noriko
- Tai and Sora
- Matt and Mimi
- T.K. and Kari
- Ken and Yolei
- Joe and Jun
- Izzy and Mina
- Cody and Rosa
- Willis and Catherine
- Dai and Kara
- Ryoko and Ami
- Noah and Miya
- Matty and Taniko
- Prime Digidestined
- Tal and Inca
- Kenji and Mai
- Seta and Eri
- Oh, Crap!: When the parents find out what the kids have been up to AND when the kids find out who exactly their parents are.
- Ken's reaction to Sam finding out that he was the Digimon Emperor.
- Older and Wiser: All of the adults, especially Davis.
- Our Angels Are Different: Gabrielmon, Angelicmon, Angemon, Angewomon, and Lucemon.
- Poor Communication Kills: Daichi believes that Ryoko has hated him since they were little, so he acts like he hates him back, despite wanting to be friends. Ryoko believes the same thing about Daichi.
- The 01 and 02 Digidestined don't tell their kids about the Digiworld, which means that when their own children are called to save the Digiworld, they try to hide it from their parents.
- Quirky Miniboss Squad: Vampiramon, BlackWidowmon, Jestermon, Spritemon, and DarkAngelicmon.
- Secret Legacy: The Digidestined decided not to tell their kids about the Digital World. Many years later, the kids are recruited to save the Digital World much like their parents were.
- Talking in Your Sleep: Sam talks to his dead uncle in a dream.
- True Companions: The kids were raised together so they're all close friends, except for Daichi and Ryoko. Naturally, that changes.
- 20 Minutes into the Future: Set twenty-five years after Adventure 02, or 2027 to be exact.
- Wake Up, Go to School, Save the World: Works pretty much the same way it did in Adventure 02, except that the parents are more suspicious.
- You Are Grounded: Daichi is grounded by his mother early in the story. However, after the Secret comes out, Noriko doesn't punish him any further.
- You're Not My Father: Ryoko doesn't quite say this, but he implies this during the "Digidestined Meeting" after the secret's out. Thankfully, he makes up with his dad.