Jack Gleeson (born 21 May 1992 in Cork) is an Irish actor.
He's best known for his portrayal of Joffrey Baratheon in the HBO series Game of Thrones. At a younger age he also played the boy saved by Rachel Dawes in Batman Begins. He announced that he would retire from acting after Game of Thrones, as he no longer really enjoys it. However, he has apparently changed his mind, as he will be appearing in the off-Broadway play Bears in Space.
- Dawson Casting: Joffrey is 12 at the start of the books, but age lifted to 15/16 in the show as portrayed by Jack (who was 18 when filming began).
- Doing It for the Art: Contrary to popular belief, he did not quit acting because of just overzealous fans but because he didn't like the idea of doing blockbuster type roles as he felt the lifestyle wasn't for him and feels more comfortable doing smaller productions like plays.
- Dyeing for Your Art: His natural hair colour is actually brown. Joffrey is blond.
- Everyone Has Standards: Before a difficult scene where Joffrey would show Sansa her father's head on a pike and taunt her about getting her brother's head as well, Jack apologized to Sophie Turner for what was about to happen. She was apparently gracious about it.
- Fake American: Uses a very convincing American accent in Batman Begins.
- Fake Brit: He's Irish, but uses an English accent to play Joffrey.
- Image Source: For the following tropes, all as Joffrey.
- Name's the Same: Not to be confused with Jackie Gleason of The Honeymooners fame.
- Nice Guy: By all accounts, he's as far removed from Joffrey as you can get.
- Why We Can't Have Nice Things: Discussed. While his official reason for quitting acting was due to decline in interest, it's known that during his time acting as Joffrey he was attacked in real life by delusional fans who couldn't separate the man from the character. Some people speculate that this might actually be his real reason for leaving despite Joffrey being his Star-Making Role.