It is set in the titular fictional village of Killinaskully, a fusion of the names of the two real villages, Ballina and Killoscully, where the show was filmed.
This work contains examples of:
- Corrupt Cop: Sergeant Dick O'Toole, albeit mostly harmlessy so.
- Eccentric Townsfolk: The driver of most of the show's humour.
- Moral Guardian: Mrs Gilhooley, a stern and pious Catholic, in contrast to the friendly demeanour of Father Eno.
- No Celebrities Were Harmed: The US President, a thinly-veiled George Bush.
- Perpetual Frowner: Jacksie, the barkeeper.
- The Place
- The Pollyanna: Dieter, in direct opposition to the Germanic Depressives stereotype.