GoodTimes Entertainment, Ltd. was an American home video company founded in 1984 under the name of GoodTimes Home Video. Its main purpose was to distribute Direct-to-Video animated films from other studios, including Golden Films and Jetlag Productions.
Many of the works they distributed were public domain stories and fairy tales, most infamously ones similar or identical in name and/or plot to bigger-budget films made by Disney, with their releases timed similarly to the Disney home media releases in order to cash in. Disney eventually took notice, however, and sued GoodTimes, alleging that GoodTimes' similar boxarts were made to trick customers. As a result, GoodTimes was forced clearly print its name on its home media releases.
In 2005, the company went bankrupt, and its assets were purchased by Gaiam, which continues to distribute and release new films.
Works made or distributed by GoodTimes:
- The Christmas Tree (1991)
- Aladdin (1992)*
- Beauty and the Beast (1992)*
- Pinocchio (1992) (1992)*
- Thumbelina (1992) (1992)*
- David Copperfield (1993)
- Cinderella (1994)**
- Sleeping Beauty (1994)**
- Magic Gift of the Snowman (1995)
- An Angel For Christmas (1996)
- Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer (1998)
- Miracle in Toyland (2001)*
- Quigley (2003)
- Little Angels: The Brightest Christmas (2004)*