The Good Neighbors is a Comic Book trilogy by Holly Black and Ted Naifeh. The trilogy follows the story of Rue Silver, a somewhat typical Young Adult Fantasy heroine. She discovers that she is actually a human/faerie hybrid destined to be heir to the faerie throne. Of course, the faerie in general don't like the humans and there's a movement at foot that endangers Rue's friends and neighbors.
- Amazingly Embarrassing Parents: Nia has no qualms about parading around the front yard naked.
- Awesome Mc Coolname: Rue Silver.
- Bare Your Midriff: Most of the female characters at some point, but most notably Lucy.
- Damaged Soul: People are stabbed in the heart with ritual daggers to turn them into trees. This is reversible, but the one example shown came back as a wood-hearted sociopath.
- Expy: Aubrey and Tam are strikingly similar to the folkloric characters, Auberon and Puck, respectively. Tam is also probably named after Tam Lin.
- The Fair Folk
- Fairy Sexy: Birch.
- Good Bad Girl: Rue. She's a generally well-behaved girl, but she's not above initiating a quickie with her boyfriend when her dad's not home.
- Half-Human Hybrid
- Hipster: Rue and company. Pretty standard for Holly Black's characters.
- Human Mom Non Human Dad: Inverted — Rue has a human dad and a non-human mom.
- Innocent Fanservice Girl: Faeries are not shy about taking their clothes off. This caused some awkward moments in Rue's childhood.
- Jewish and Nerdy: Thaddeus.
- Of Corsets Sexy: Rue knows how to rock it.
- Seashell Bra: The water fairies wear an interesting variation that are essentially seashell pasties.
- Shout-Out: In the first volume, a copy of The Spiderwick Chronicles is shown.
- Your Cheating Heart: Thaddeus and Rue both cheat on their partners.