Star Wars: Age of Republic is a 2018-2019 Marvel Comics series set in the Star Wars Expanded Universe written by Jody Houser. The Special 1 issue is co-written by Houser, Ethan Sacks and Marc Guggenheim.
The series covers a number of heroes and villains across the Prequel Trilogy.
Tropes featured in this comic include:
- A Day in the Limelight:
- Each issue covers a different hero or villain; Qui-Gon Jinn, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Anakin Skywalker, Padmé Amidala, Darth Maul, Jango Fett, Count Dooku, and General Grievous each have their own one-shot.
- Special 1 features four characters: Mace Windu, Asajj Ventress, Captain Rex, and Jar Jar Binks.
- Big Bad Wannabe: Guattako the Grim, a warlord who thinks he is on the verge of becoming a major threat to the Republic. Mace Windu dismantles his entire operation in a few minutes while Guttako is shot in the back by one of his child soldiers.
- Child Soldier: Guattako builds his army by kidnapping and indoctrinating children.
- Did You Just Punch Out Cthulhu?: Subverted. In the General Grievous issue, it initially appears as though the orbital bombardment courtesy of Grievous' warship destroyed the mysterious Force entity he encountered earlier, but the last panel reveals that it survived, presumably unharmed.
- Dramatic Irony: Padmé gives a heartfelt speech to a potential ally about her devotion to and belief in the Republic and its ideals despite the ravages of the Clone Wars, ending it with this line: "I have to believe that the Republic will emerge from this war more united than ever." Well, if you count 'join The Empire or else' as 'united'...and right from the start there were plenty of people resisting or undermining the Empire, eventually resulting in outright war.
- Red Shirt: General Laan Tik, a Nikto Jedi who dies on the same page he is introduced in Captain Rex's story.
- Too Dumb to Live: Tiver and Rinn threatening to kill Boba right in front of Jango if they don't get the Fett's cut of the bounty. How they thought that was going to end in any way other than the best bounty hunter in the galaxy and his son, who they have been watching train with his dad, killing them is anyone's guess.
- Took a Level in Badass: General Grievous finally gets to show his stuff against "ordinary" Jedi, and proceeds to cut both of them down with pure skill in mere seconds. A far better showing than anything he got in the movie.
- Wrecked Weapon: Guattako and his soldiers think Mace is entirely helpless without his lightsaber, which they broke when capturing him. Mace telekinetically pieces it back together while talking with Guattako, noting that doing so was the first lesson he learned as a Jedi.