Darkhold: Pages from the Book of Sins is a Marvel horror comic published between 1992 and 1994. It was written by Christian Cooper, with art by Richard Case and Rurik Tyler. It began with the crossover "Rise of the Midnight Sons." It was part of the "Marvel Edge" section of books, including Ghost Rider, Morbius, Doctor Strange, and Nightstalkers.
The book was about the Darkhold Redeemers, a team of three people dedicated to finding lost pages from the Darkhold and stopping anyone from using them. They were:
- Victoria "Vicki" Montesi: Italian-American and the only child of Monsignor Vittorio Montesi, Vicki dedicates her life to stopping the Darkhold when her lover, Natasha "Nash" Salvato, is rendered parapalegic due to an explosion by those who wanted to steal it.
- Dr. Louise Hastings: an expert in the occult.
- Agent Samson Buchanan: an Interpol agent who is assigned to protect Victoria Montesi after she survives an attack by a cult who wanted to steal the Darkhold.
As the book went on, two more characters were added to the team:
- Modred the Mystic: an older character from Marvel's horror comics, he joined the Redeemers for a short time to act as their leader, but really wanted to use them for his own purposes.
- Jinx: Louise Hasting's grandson, William, who also had some mystic powers of his own. He joined the Redeemers after his mother was killed during a struggle to obtain pages from the Darkhold.
The book also feature "the Darkhold Dwarf," a strange and unnamed character who would seal pages of the Darkhold in black envelopes and deliver them to people.
Tropes in Darkhold: Pages from the Book of Sins:
- Anti Anti Christ: Victoria's real father is Cthon. She rejects him, however, and resolves to stop him from ever coming to Earth.
- Arc Villain: The Darkhold Dwarf. He is pretty much the impetus for most of the plots and villains that the Redeemers have to face.
- Bat Family Crossover: The book started as part of one ("The Rise of the Midnight Sons") and was basically embroiled in them through its run. There was "Midnight Massacre" and "Siege of Darkness," which ended the book.
- Character Death: Dr. Louise Hastings is killed by Morbius, who was possessed by Bloodthirst at the time, in issue 15.
- Depraved Dwarf: The Dwarf, of course. We've never given a reason why he likes spreading chaos via the Darkhold pages, only that he's somehow connected to the Darkhold itself.
- Enfant Terrible: Diabolique, a six-year-old girl who continually finds new parents and then kills them.
- Lipstick Lesbian: Victoria Montesi. Her girlfriend, Nash, fell more into the Butch Lesbian trope.
- Religion of Evil: The Darkholders, the cult who worship Cthon, the being that created the Darkhold. They wish to retrieve the book and summon the Elder God.
- Tome of Eldritch Lore: The Darkhold, naturally. In this case, the book is so evil that merely reading it is enough to damn your soul to Cthon. Unfortunately, Louise Hastings is forced to read it to save everyone and ends up damned.