Batgirl Adventures is a one-shot released in 1997 based of Batman: The Animated Series, in the continuity of the New Batman Adventures.
It features Batgirl during the Christmas holidays, as she runs into Harley Quinn, who was looking for a member of the Bat-Family to help her save Poison Ivy.
Compare to The Batman Adventures, a tie-in comic series to Batman: The Animated Series.
Batgirl Adventures contains examples of:
- An Ass-Kicking Christmas: Harley and Batgirl having a chase, and meeting a bunch of mooks.
- Brick Joke:
- At the start of the chase, Jim Gordon tried to tell Batgirl not to bother going after Quinn. Batgirl finds out why when she brings Quinn back at the conclusion and ends up having to release her.
- Almost half-way through the comic, Gordon is ready to leave the police station but wonders what's keeping Barbara, who unbeknownst to him is busy as Batgirl. In the last panel, he's still waiting.
- Continuity Snarl: The main villain Kitsune again uses a disguise-illusion gemstone that she used in The Batman & Robin Adventures Annual #1, except there it had been taken from her by Phantasm.
- Enemy Mine: Serious heroine Batgirl reluctantly agrees to team up with wacky and psychotic Harley.
- Everyone Is Christian at Christmas: Harley being Jewish comes up again like in the "Holiday Knights" comic.
- Mistaken for Gay: This conversation:Harley: Oh, Ivy can't hurt me. She gave me a special shot once so we can play and I won't get sick at all.
Batgirl: You mean you two...?
Batgirl: You and Ivy are... well... friends...
Batgirl: Y'know... friends... like... *crosses her index and middle fingers in a "I'm implying you're in a relationship" gesture*
Harley: Like what everybody says about you and Supergirl?
Batgirl: What?! Who says...? Forget it! Forget it!
- Technically, it's subverted in that Harley neither denies nor confirms that she and Ivy are like that, but then gets played straight when she does this with Batgirl.
- Poisonous Person: It seems here that Ivy can make her saliva mildly acidic, as demonstrated on Kitsune's cheek.
- Shout-Out: The way Harley says, "Hey, Laaady!" was a regular Catchphrase of comedian Jerry Lewis.
- Song Parody: Harley alters a pair of Christmas standards, starting the comic with:Deck the Halls with Boughs of Harley, / Yadda, Yadda, Yaa... Ba-Dum-Bum-Bum!
So long, Bratsy, Lookit me go! Skippin' away with a Ho-Ho-Ho!Jingle Bells, Batgir-... er, I mean, Batman smells, Bird-Boy laid an egg... The Batmobile lost a wheel... And Puddin' got awaaay!
- And ending the comic with:
- Spot the Imposter: Kitsune manages to copy Harley's look and voice completely, creating a scenario where Batgirl has to do this. She figures it out when the real Harley calls her "Bratgirl", a nickname she called her earlier.
- Suspiciously Similar Substitute: Kitsune is nearly an Expy of The Animated Series' Red Claw.