Flex Seal is a line of adhesive bonding products, including the titular Flex Seal (a spray-on adhesive), Flex Tape (Exactly What It Says on the Tin), Flex Shot (a caulk-like version), and Flex Glue (again, Exactly What It Says on the Tin). Flex Seal and its "family" have been advertised through direct-response television commercials, featuring the company's co-owner Phil Swift enthusiastically showcasing various and increasingly elaborate uses of the products (ranging from stopping simple leaks, to stunts such as cutting a metal boat in half, taping it back together with Flex Tape, and going on the water with it).
Swift's bombastic style has been seen as similar to fellow memetic pitchman Billy Mays, and the ads have attracted the typical array of parodies via YouTube Poop and the like. However, it wasn't until JonTron did a video discussing the ads — highlighting the ridiculous nature of some of the demonstrations — that Phil Swift truly became a viral phenomenon.
The brand's YouTube channel and social media outlets have been self-aware in acknowledging its internet popularity, to the point that Phil Swift actually made an appearance in a sequel to the aforementioned JonTron video.
"To show you the power of Flex Tape, I sawed these tropes in half!"
- Ascended Meme:
- Swift appears As Himself in a follow-up to the aforementioned JonTron video, to guide Jon through the world of Flex Tape.
- A newer commercial casually includes "that's a lotta damage!" (a notable line from the "Extreme Bucket Demo" video) in its narration to describe the aftermath of a storm.
- Awesome, but Impractical: The more unorthodox demonstrations usually fall into this category. In particular, the aforementioned JonTron episode calls out the "Extreme Bucket Demo" — a video in which Phil damages the bottom of a bucket with a knife and chainsaw, and then uses extensive coats of Flex Spray to patch up the holes so that it doesn't leak. Jon goes on to note that it would probably be easier and cheaper to just buy a new bucket, and doubting that you might not have much bucket left if you use too many coats.Jon as "Man Who Spent $356.87 On Flex Seal": You know, friends or family would ask me, you know, uh, "Why didn't you just buy a new bucket? Or not destroy the one you had?" but, you know, I'd just turn to 'em and I'd say, [reveals bucket filled almost to the brim with Flex Seal] "Speaks for itself, doesn't it?" [struggles to lift it but can only get it an inch or two off the floor] No replacement for that, I tell ya what. [pours a small glass of water into the bucket, most of it spills out due to how little space is left] Look at that, look at that, look at how it holds that water. It's just as good as new. [struggles to lift it again] I scarcely notice a difference.
- Broken Record: In the 2016 blooper reel, Phil Swift repeats the phrase "It's like a handyman in a can." while pointing towards the wall.
- Corpsing: In the 2016 blooper reel, Phil Swift tries to talk about Flex Seal but he can't help but laugh.
- Don't Try This at Home: In the aforementioned bucket demo when Phil uses a knife (accompanied with the words "Don't try this!") and a chainsaw (with the words "Seriously don't try this!") to damage his bucket.
- Duct Tape for Everything: The Flex Tape commercial shows off the various ways that Flex Tape can be used to seal and repair various items.
- Hilarious Outtakes: "Commercial Bloopers (2016) | Flex Seal®" contains some outtakes from Phil Swift's commercials.
- Large Ham: Phil Swift can act very over-the-top in his commercials, especially when he saws boats in half.
- Please Subscribe to Our Channel: The end of the Flex Tape video asks its viewers to like and follow Flex Seal on various social media networks.
- Shout-Out: In the ad for Flex Tape Clear, Phil Swift says "I think I'm gonna need a bigger boat".
- Subliminal Advertising: If the YouTube page didn't already have enough advertising, the URL outright tells you to "getflexseal".
- The Alleged Buggy: That is, until they apparently glued all the pieces of the frame back together.
- Now that's a lotta damage!