Webcomic: Welcome to Hell
Welcome to Hell
Sock: You mean, I get to kill people?!
Mephistopheles: Nnnnot exactly... You get to help people kill themselves.
—Welcome to Hell
follows the story of Sock, a sweet but somewhat unstable
teen who commits suicide
after the Accidental Murder
of his own parents
. In Hell
, he meets Mephistopheles, the amicable manager of the underworld, who offers him a job
: Sock is to become a demon
, tasked with haunting humans and driving them to suicide. At first this seems like Sock's dream job
—a way he can finally act on his desires without consequence—but after meeting his first target, a disinterested highschooler named Jonathan, he finds himself with another desire that just might be stronger
... and just might have a consequence.Welcome to Hell
started as a Webcomic
. Some pages are posted on deviantart and have garnered some really good responses as well as two Daily Deviations. It was then given successful funding through Kickstarter
to make a fully-animated Short Film
.The animation can be seen here.
The webcomic can be read here.
production blog is here
This series contains recurring examples of
- Accidental Murder: “This is Sock. He just killed his parents. In his sleep.”
- Accidental Pun:
Sock: And what if I can't do it?
Mephistopheles: Then you're fired.
Mephistopheles: That wasn't a pun.
- Aerith and Bob: Napoleon Maxwell Sowachowski and Jonathan Combs.
- Affably Evil: Despite, you know, running Hell, Mephistopheles seems like a nice enough guy, offering Sock a job minutes after just meeting him.
- Sock's a pretty twisted guy himself. This is a kid who grew up fascinated with killing things and later went on to cheerfully commit himself to driving an innocent young man to "punch his own ticket". And yet... he's so cute! And terrible at his job!
- Afterlife Antechamber: Mephistopheles' office.
- A Hell of a Time
- Amusing Injuries
- Animesque: Early designs for the characters were drawn in a more anime style.
- An Offer You Can't Refuse:
Sock: And if I decline your offer?
Mephistopheles: You won't.
Sock: Aw, well, I can't argue with that.
- Arson, Murder, and Jaywalking:
Mephistopheles: It’ll be your job to haunt, torment, pester, and be a general nuisance.
- Awesome Anachronistic Apparel: Sock's outfit.
- Badass Beard: Mephistopheles.
- Beware the Nice Ones: Sock.
- Black Comedy
- Celestial Bureaucracy: Hell is currently under construction.
- Cheshire Cat Grin: Sock a lot of the time.
- Cleopatra Nose: Jonathan's nose.
- Color-Coded for Your Convenience: Jon has a lot of gray and muted colors, while Sock's color scheme is basically made up of a rainbow.
- Companion Cube: In one of the pages of the webcomic, Sock talks to his weapon.
- Compressed Hair: Sock.
- Cool Old Guy: Mephistopheles.
- Cross-Dressing Voices: Sock, a young male character, is voiced by a female voice actress.
- Curse Cut Short: Not an actual curse word, but still treated as such:
I'm going to give you an offer. Sock:
Oh, you mean like a deal with the dev
I mean like a job offer.
- Dateless Grave: Played for Laughs: Sock's tomestones don't even have proper names on them, to the point where he marked his own tombstone as just "ME".
- Deadpan Snarker: Jonathan.
- Demonic Possession: Not in the short, but in this artwork drawn by the creator.
- Dig Your Own Grave: The opening.
- Don't Fear the Reaper: Jon towards Sock.
- Driven to Suicide: Sock after murdering his parents.
- Additionally, Sock is trying to do this to Jonathan.
- '80s Hair: Jonathan's "animation hair".
- Emotionless Boy: Jonathan.
- Evil Redhead / Fiery Redhead: Mephistopheles.
- Eyes of Gold: Mephistopheles.
- Faceless Masses
- Fangs Are Evil: When Sock tells Jon that he is a demon, Sock's teeth go all sharp for a second.
- Flipping the Bird: Jon in the page image above.
- Foil: Sock and Jonathan.
- Friendless Background: Sock.
- Gallows Humor
- God Job
- Goggles Do Nothing: Sock.
- Grave Humor
- Grave Marking Scene
- Green Eyes: Sock.
- Gym Class Hell: Jonathan is seen playing Basketball in gym class.
- Happy Dance: Sock in the second montage, much the Jonathan's chagrin.
- Headphones Equal Isolation: Jonathan.
- Hearing Voices: Sock is told that only Jonathan can hear him. In turn, Sock is the only one who can hear Mephistopheles. Hilarity Ensues whenever Sock talks to Meph within hearing distance of Jon.
- High School
- Hitman with a Heart: Sock.
- Hypocritical Humor:
Sock: Come on, Jonathan! A little death never killed anybody!
- Insistent Terminology:
So, you're really a ghost
- Mephistopheles is also very particular about people using his actual name (see Curse Cut Short). Word of God says it's because he doesn't want to be associated with "rumors" that pop-culture has been spreading about him for centuries.
- Intangibility: Sock is able to go through objects.
- Invisibility: Sock.
- I See Dead People: Jonathan is the only living person who can see Sock.
- Jacob Marley Apparel: Sock wears the same clothing he died in.
- Keet: Sock.
- Knife Nut: Sock's Weapon of Choice.
- Lame Pun Reaction: Sock towards Mephistopheles in the office scene.
- Late for School: Jonathan is seen running for the bus with toast in his mouth.
- Leaning on the Fourth Wall: Mephistopheles mentions that he handn't planned on Sock's job lasting longer than a student thesis film.
- Lemony Narrator: Mephistopheles.
- Left Hanging: The animation ends without showing what Jonathan's ultimate fate will be.
- Little Bit Beastly: Sock is sometimes drawn with little demon wings and a tail.
- Long List: Meph's looong filing cabinet.
- Lyrical Dissonance: The song, “I Will Never (Be Your Friend)” has a very bouncy melody.
- Male Restroom Etiquette: Jonathan embarrasses himself by yelling at Sock in a restroom.
- Mathematician's Answer: Jonathan's file on his age.
- Meaningful Name: Part of Sock's name — Maxwell — is a reference to The Beatles' song, "Maxwell's Silver Hammer"... it's an upbeat song about a Serial Killer.
- Mephistopheles is named after the demon character from Faust.
- The band Jonathan listens to, Valhalla Soundbox, is named after an afterlife for heroes in Norse mythology.
- Montages: Two in the animated short.
- Mr. Vice Guy: Sock. He may enjoy murdering people, but he's still lovable as heck.
- Mundane Afterlife
- Myers-Briggs: According to Word of God, Sock is ESFP, Jonathan is either ISTJ or ISTP, and Mephistopheles is ESTJ.
- My Species Doth Protest Too Much: Sock, though it's unknown if he's the only nice demon.
- Mysterious Employer: Mephistopheles.
- Nice Hat: Sock’s aviator hat.
- Nightmare Fuel Station Attendant: Sock.
- No Sense of Personal Space: Sock towards Jonathan.
- No Social Skills: Sock.
- Odd Friendship: Sock and Jonathan.
- Offscreen After Life: In the animation, we only see Sock and Mephistopheles' reactions to what Hell looks like. The webcomic shows a little more, but not in great detail.
- Older Than They Look: According to Word of God, Sock is somewhere between 15 and 20.
- Only Known by Their Nickname: Sock.
- Only Sane Man: Jonathan to Sock.
- Opening Monologue
- Our Demons Are Different
- People Fall Off Chairs: Jonathan falls off his chair in class because of Sock.
- Please Keep Your Hat On: Sock.
- Power Floats: Sock and Mephistopheles.
- Power Glows: Sock glows green when he goes through objects.
- Power Perversion Potential: Sock can enter male restrooms as well as Jonathan's house whenever he wants.
- Not to mention all the fandom in-jokes regarding alternate uses for the "spooky hole".
- Psychopathic Manchild: Sock.
- Pungeon Master: Mephistopheles.
- Purple Is Powerful / Purple Is The New Black / Supernatural Is Purple: Meph's suit.
- Really 700 Years Old: Mephistopheles is possibly this.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Sock is the Red Oni to Jonathan's Blue Oni.
- Refrigerator Ambush: The opening.
- Ridiculous Procrastinator: Sock with killing Jon.
- Scarf of Asskicking: Sock.
- Serial Killer: Sock.
- Sickly Green Glow: Sock when he's phasing through opbjects.
- Signed Up for the Dental: Mephistopheles apparently offers dental.
- Sharp-Dressed Man: Mephistopheles.
- Ship Tease: Lots of fans for Sockathan.
- Shipper on Deck: It's possible that Mephistopheles ships Sockathan. He's rather quick to assume that Sock only sucks at his job because he likes Jonathan.
Sock: I've got him passing balls to a ghost in gym class-
Mephistopheles: (pleased grin)
He's making passes
- Shout-Out: Mephistopheles mentions a fiddling contest, a reference to an old folktale involving a demon.
- Skewed Priorities: In the animated short, Jonathan was most surprised at Sock not because Sock's a demon that only he can see, but because Sock had never heard of a band Jonathan listens to.
- Skirt over Slacks: Sock wears a purple skirt over his jeans.
- Stalker Without a Crush: Sock following Jonathan in the first montage.
- Stealth Hi/Bye: Mephistopheles.
- The Stoic: Jonathan.
- Suburbia: Possibly where Jon lives.
- Title Drop
- Torso with a View: Sock.
- Trademark Favorite Food: The fandom suspect that Jon likes sandwiches, as they are the only thing he is seen eating in the animated short.
- Typecasting: Mephistopheles' voice actor also plays a boss character in the animated short film, Bird And Fish.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: The "Type one" variation in which Jonathan is vitriolic, while Sock is much, much friendlier, but wants Jon to kill himself.
- Welcome to Hell: The title.
- Wiki Rule: There's a wiki right here.