Basically, the fridge is the perfect place to hide, if you don't mind the cold. It muffles any noises you make, and whomever you're waiting for is bound to show up sooner or later. And they're guaranteed not to expect you, at least not in there. Plus, hey, there's food if you get hungry! This trope is very different from It Came from the Fridge; that's about something that grew out of old and moldy food left in a fridge, whereas this is just someone hiding in the fridge. Similarly, it has nothing to do with being Stuffed into the Fridge, which is involuntary. Also unrelated to Fridge Logic or Fridge Horror.
Examples:Anime and Manga
- Played for Laughs in Ground Control to Psychoelectric Girl: Meme does this to surprise Makoto and get a funny reaction out of him.
- Devo the Cursed attempts this to assassinate Polnareff during JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders. Polnareff just calls him out to ask what kind of imbecile tries this while leaving the fridge's contents out in plain sight.
- Rorschach does this in Watchmen to Moloch.
- Rorschach also pulls off an Inversion later on: he tricks Moloch into thinking he's in the fridge, then appears behind him as he opens it.
- In Forward, River Tam ambushes an ex-Academy instructor this way. Word of God confirms it was a deliberate nod to the Watchman example above.
- Inspector Clouseau's manservant, Cato, does this in Return of the Pink Panther.
- The main character of xXx: State of the Union does this as a way to hide from the thermal imaging cameras of a SWAT team he's ambushing.
- In Resident Evil 0, there is a zombie hiding in a refrigerator in the dining car of the train. The zombie will pop out after you solve a few puzzles. Though interestingly you find a bottle of alcohol inside, heavily implying that before he became a zombie he had hid inside, drinking his terrors away.
- Similarly, in one of the later portions of Resident Evil 4, a Ganado bursts out of an oven to try to take down Leon while on fire. If Leon examines the oven afterwards, he wonders what the guy was doing in there in the first place.
- In Luigis Mansion, an ice ghost will attack Luigi if he opens the fridge in the kitchen.
- In Cold Fear, when you enter the ship's kitchen and get close to the fridge, a corpse will be suddenly expelled from the thing. It's actually harmless, though the protagonist will still let out a "wtf is this?".
- The opening for the animated short film, Welcome to Hell, uses this.
- The Robot Devil does this in the Futurama episode "The Devil's Hands Are Idle Playthings".
- In real life, this is a prank that some people play on others without any malicious intent. As can be seen in these two videos.