Webcomic / Cross Time Cafe
A long running Furry Webcomic
created by Scudder "White Pony" Kidwell. Despite its sizable cast, it really only features 2 original characters: Beth, the White Guardian and White Pony. The rest are cameos
from at least six other webcomics. Kidwell does only a small amount of the artwork for the comic since the creators of most of the other characters that appear in the comic also contribute pages. It is mostly a funny, slice of life type comic, but has also seen several lengthy story arcs. While the longer arcs are usually handled by a single artist, sometimes, another artist will step in for a few strips or even quite a few.
The other artists include, but are not limited to Mark Stanley
, Scott Kellogg
, Kathy Garrison-Kellogg
and Chris Kozloski
Read it here
. The new site is up, but under construction. All of the pages are being posted to linked Tapastic archives
, a few pages at a time.
This webcomic features examples of:
- Added Alliterative Appeal: On this NEOCTC page, Marmoe discovers that a batch of "...rotten reptilian rejects have wrecked my Roomba".
- Animal Stereotypes: Lots of them. Here are some standouts:
- Art Evolution: It's difficult to track when the art is coming from half a dozen artists. For a better idea of the art evolution, just visit the webcomic sites of the contributing artists and track their progress. If you're familiar with a particular artist's style and look, it's easy to tell what pages they've contributed.
- Be Careful What You Wish For: Especially when in the presence of the little penguin, Sleepy John.
- The Bet: This page features Rocky the Monolith losing a game of Rock-Paper-Scissors to White Pony.
- Big Eater: Kathy Grrson will often wind up shaped like a pear and complaining of being overstuffed. Then, in the last panel, she will ask "what's for [the next meal]".
- Caffeine Bullet Time: In the Neo CTC side comics, more than one character have been subjected to the accelerative effects of caffeine.
- The Cameo: While attempting to prank Beth, Kathy uses an overclocked painball marker. Page 392 shows the aftermath as well as Doc and Roger from The Whiteboard preparing to bail.
- Catfight: Featuring one actual feline.
- Chase Scene: Complete with "Yakity Sax" soundtrack. (At least in the original version. The Yakety Sax soundtrack did not survive the transfer to Tapastic. )
- Censor Box: Decency'd!!!
- The Ditz: Ky. Just don't say that to her face.
- Duct Tape for Everything: A restoration advisor sent in his proposal. Cecil is not impressed.
- Exact Words: This page provides a good example of why you want to make elaborately precise worded requests when asking Sleepy John for anything.
- Face Hugger: Sam did this early on. His sister's offspring do it again later.
- Food Fight: It breaks out on page 695.
- Gonna Need More X: Being unfamiliar with measuring giraffes for dresses, Triac discovers he's going to need a bigger extension.
- Good-Guy Bar: What the Cross Time Cafe is all about. It exists to let webcomic characters meet up outside their own continuities.
- Impact Silhouette: Courtesy of one of Doc and Roger's overclocked paintball markers on page 392.
- Incredibly Lame Pun: They show up now and then. Sleepy John and his characters seem especially fond of them.
- I Need to Go Iron My Dog: Mzkitty needs to go wash her styrofoam when confronted with a drooling hyena.
- Inn Between the Worlds: This cafe exists so that all of the different characters can interact outside their own continuities.
- Intercontinuity Crossover: Practically in the title.
- Is That What They're Calling It Now?: Florence claims to have been kissing White Pony's boo-boo. Ky isn't necessarily buying it.
- Lame Pun Reaction: After a crack from Ky about hyenas being in spots, Kathy (a spotted hyena) promptly decides to stay where she was, hanging by her fingertips from a cliff down in the catacombs.
- Everybody has some kind of reaction when Chef Scarlet Pelt makes some kind of food-related pun. Some reactions are more extreme than others.
- Leaning on the Fourth Wall: Kathy and Mizzkitty discuss their webcomic employment.
- Literal-Minded: As mentioned above, Little John takes things at face value. He doesn't quite get figures of speech.
- Local Hangout: For cast members of over half a dozen webcomics.
- Never Live It Down: Rocky, after losing a game of Rock-Paper-Scissors to White Pony here.
- No OSHA Compliance: The catacombs.
- Obstructive Bureaucrat: The management decides to Retool the CTC here. Mr Kornada makes an appearance at the end of the arc.
- Paintball Episode. On page 391 and page 392, Kathy attempts to prank Beth. Hilarity Ensues.
- Painting the Medium: A variety of different kinds of paint get used with this trope.
- Pass the Popcorn: While watching a Catfight, the guys decide to round up chairs and snacks.
- Reincarnation Romance: Florence is apparently just the latest incarnation of White Pony's soul mate.
- Shout-Out: Quite often, and mostly to other webcomics. But here's a few stand outs:
- Spit Take: Ky once made peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. Using KY jelly.
- Stable Time Loop: Looks that way here. Discussed here.
- Right Behind Me: Kaheda in this Neolithic CTC strip.
- Trademark Favorite Food: Kathy: doughnuts and/or chocolate, Mzzkitty: fish.
- Unicorn: 2 of them. Roy Callbeck and Florence's long-time boyfriend, White Pony.
- If you count Beth the White Guardian (She doesn't sport the typical horn in the forehead) there's 3.
- Then there's this Neo CTC page filled to the brim with outside refs.
- Webcomic Time: Referenced by Kathy here.