"This is the story of how me, Sami Reese, and my brother became rock stars, with very little talent and a whole lot of lies."Little White Lie (found here) is a musical webseries consisting of 11 episodes that was created in 2007 by Team StarKid but did not get very popular until 2009 after the creators found success with A Very Potter Musical.The plot centers around two siblings, Sami and Duder Reese, who long to be rockstars. Unfortunately their musical talent is... limited and they are the Butt-Monkey of their Battle of the Bands-obsessed school. Sami wants to beat her rival Alpha Bitch Tanya in the next competition so she and Duder search for a third member to liven up the band. They get a response from a shy boy named Kevin but before he properly auditions he is put into a coma by a hit-and-run. Sami and Duder go over to his house later and are shocked to discover that he has written several great songs. Sami steals his work and the band, now named Little White Lie, perform them at the battle. They lose to Tanya (who had bribed the judge) but are offered a chance to record by a local producer.Drama ensues as Sami and Duder try to keep the truth behind their songs a secret while facing sudden popularity. Tanya jealously begins to go after Sami as she is stealing not only her popularity but her boyfriend, Toby, and searches for information about Kevin.
This work provides examples of:
- Alpha Bitch: Tanya. It gets deconstructed.Sami: Why? You're the coolest girl in school Tanya, everybody loves you!
Tanya: Everybody hates me.
- Anguished Declaration of Love: Duder to Tanya in episode 11.
- Anti-Hero: Sami, of the Unsympathetic Comedy Protagonist variety. She feels bad about lying and stealing Kevin's songs, but she does it anyways, all to selfish ends.
- Artifact Title: In-universe, Tanya's "Save Calvin" campaign is still called that after she realizes that his name is Kevin, since she already had a bunch of merchandise printed.
- Brother–Sister Team: Duder and Sami
- Butt-Monkey: Various characters are like this at certain points but Sami, Duder, Kevin and Zach stand out the most
- Cannot Talk to Women: DuderDuder: There are so many girls in there, and I can't... I can't talk to them. So... I sit out here... and I wait until they leave.
Tanya: Duder, that's so sad. Just go in there and talk to them!
Duder: I can't, I can't talk to them. I... I wouldn't know what to say. I feel like they would think I was an idiot.
- Cliffhanger: The last episode.
- Defrosting Ice Queen: Tanya
- Dreadful Musician: Sami and Duder's original band, Reese's Pieces. They're not bad per se, but they're not good. Tanya and the Hot Girls, however, are bad and they actually get worse after Tanya leaves.
- Hollywood Tone-Deaf: Tanya. And the other Hot Girls for that matter.
- Idiot Ball: As pointed out in the comments on virtually every video, the entire plot of the series could have been wrapped up if Sami had just said from the beginning that there was a third member of the band—Kevin did, after all, try out—who was in a coma, rather than take credit for it herself.
- In with the In Crowd: Most of the in-crowd, with the exception of Tanya, are actually fairly decent people, yet Sami still seems to think of them as jerks, and Toby for some reason agrees with her.
- Kick the Dog: At the recording session, Little White Lie runs into the Hot Girls, and the Hot Girls mercilessly mock Tanya.
- Left Hanging: The season finale has a huge cliffhanger but there's no plan for a season 2. During the StarKid S.P.A.C.E. Tour, the cast gets the crowd excited with the prospect of a second season, only for them to take it all away by saying that there won't be another season. There is a synopsis of Season 2 available, though.
- The Bully Book is set in the same universe, and Eric Kahn Gale said that the sequel will tie back in to Little White Lie.
- Love Dodecahedron: Kevin likes Sami, who likes Toby, who's with Tanya even though he doesn't really like her, though Zach and Duder both do.
- Loving a Shadow: The synopsis of the second season has Kevin realizing this about his crush on Sami.
- Mistreatment-Induced Betrayal: Tanya bribes Zach to make sure the Hot Girls win Battle of the Bands by promising him a kiss. He does, and she just sarcastically blows him a kiss and walls off. Zach mentally kicks himself, then goes and becomes self-appointed manager for Little White Lie.
- Must Make Amends: Tanya is raising money for Kevin's medical bills because she was the one who hit him.
- My Nayme Is: Sami spells her name with only one M, and an I.
- Nephewism: Kevin lives with his aunt. That he doesn't have parents is one of many things that made clear his status as The Woobie, though what happened to his parents is never explained.
- Pet the Dog: Tanya gets several, as part of her Defrosting Ice Queen arc.
- When she goes to give Kevin's aunt the money she raised for Kevin's medical bills.
- In episode 10, when Tanya says that everyone hates her and begs Sami to teach her how to sing.
- When she thanks Sami for being nice to her and letting her be in the band.
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech: Furious at Sami for kissing Toby, Tanya gives her one in episode 11.
- The Reveal: Tanya was the driver in the hit-and-run.
- Shrinking Violet: Kevin.
- Small Role, Big Impact: We briefly see Kevin in the first episode, and then he's in a coma. His existence is absolutely central to the plot though.
- Stepford Smiler: Tanya smiles all of the time, even when she is extremely angry.
- Stylistic Suck: "(Don't) Play a Riff on My Heartstrings" by Reese's Pieces and "Boy Toy" by The Hot Girls.
- Tomboyish Name: Sami
- Trespassing to Talk: Tanya does this to Sami in episode 9 after finding out she stole Kevin's songs.