Web Video: Little White Lie
Let's face it, now we're caught in the lie...Little White Lie
is a musical webseries (found here
) that was created in 2007 by Team StarKid
but did not get very popular until 2009 after the creators found success with A Very Potter Musical
The plot centers around two siblings, Sami and Duder Reese, who long to be rockstars. Unfortunately their musical talent is... limited and they are the Butt Monkey
of their Battle of the Bands
-obsessed school. Sami wants to beat her rival Tanya in the next competition so she and Duder search for a third member to liven up the band. They get a response from a shy boy named Kevin but before he properly auditions he is put into a coma by a Hit and Run. Sami and Duder go over to his house later and are shocked to discover that he has written several great songs. Sami steals his work and the band, now named Little White Lie, perform them at the battle. They lose to Tanya (who had bribed the judge) but are offered a chance to record by a local producer.
Drama ensues as Sami and Duder try to keep the truth behind their songs a secret while facing sudden popularity. Tanya jealously begins to go after Sami as she is stealing not only her popularity but her boyfriend, Toby, and searches for information about Kevin.
This work provides examples of:
- Anti-Hero: Sami
- Butt Monkey: Various characters are like this at certain points but Sami, Duder, Kevin and Zach stand out the most
- Cliffhanger: The last episode.
- The Danza: Jim Povolo and Meredith Stepien
- Defrosting Ice Queen: Tanya
- Dreadful Musician: Sami and Duder's original band, Reese's Pieces. They're not bad per se, but they're not good. Tanya and the Hot Girls, however, are bad and they actually get worse after Tanya leaves.
- Hey, It's That Guy!: This happens constantly for fans of A Very Potter Musical and Me and My Dick, but the most notable is that Tanya is played by Draco Malfoy and Toby is played by Harry Potter.
- Hollywood Tone-Deaf: Tanya. And the other Hot Girls for that matter
- Not really. They're not good, yeah, but they're realistically not good.
- Idiot Ball: As pointed out in the comments on virtually every video, the entire plot of the series could have been wrapped up if Sami had just said from the beginning that there was a third member of the band-Kevin did, after all, try out-who was in a coma, rather than take credit for it herself.
- In with the In Crowd: Most of the in-crowd, with the exception of Tanya, are actually fairly decent people, yet Sami still seems to think of them as jerks, and Toby for some reason agrees with her.
- Jerk Ass: Sami
- Left Hanging: The season finale has a huge cliffhanger but there's no plan for a season 2.
- OR IS THERE???note
- The Bully Book is set in the same universe, and Eric Khan Gale said that the sequel will tie back in to Little White Lie.
- During the Star Kid S.P.A.C.E. Tour, the cast gets the crowd excited with the prospect of a second season, only for them to take it all away by saying that there won't be another season.
- There is a synopsis of Season 2 available, though.
- Love Dodecahedron: The end of the show has Kevin/Sami/Toby/Tanya/Duder with Zach having a crush on Tanya.
- Loving a Shadow: The synopsis of the second season has Kevin realizing this about his crush on Sami.
- Oblivious to Love: Sami is unaware of Kevin's crush on her until she discovers the Sami song.
- Shrinking Violet: Kevin.
- Stepford Smiler: Tanya smiles all of the time, even when she is extremely angry.
- Stylistic Suck: "Boy Toy" by The Hot Girls and "(Don't) Play a Riff on My Heartstrings" by Reeses Pieces.
- Tomboyish Name: Sami