Video Game: Shiren the Wanderer
The flagship RPG series of Chunsoft, the Japanese publisher/developer who are most famous worldwide for Pokemon Mystery Dungeon
. Shiren the Wanderer
gameplay, which is set against a fantasy version of feudal Japan. Most of the games have you control Shiren, a wandering adventurer
who wears a distinct 'kasa' hat. Only two games in the series have been released to Western audiences.
The series so far:
- Mystery Dungeon: Shiren the Wanderer (1995, SNES) (2006, Nintendo DS) (titled Mystery Dungeon 2 in Japan; Mystery Dungeon 1 was the Super Famicom game based around Torneko from Dragon Quest IV) — Shiren journeys to the Golden City on Table Mountain, where the Golden Condor resides.
- Shiren the Wanderer 2: Oni Raid on Ft. Shiren! (2000, N64) — Natane Village keeps getting invaded by Onis, and the townfolk beseech Shiren to build them a fortress.
- Shiren the Wanderer 3: The Sleeping Princess of Karakuri Mansion (2008, Wii) (2010, PSP) — Shiren and friends seek the Karakuri Mansion. Things get complicated.
- Shiren the Wanderer 4: The Deity's Eye and the Devil's Navel (2010, Nintendo DS) (2012, PSP) — An island adventure, complete with monkeys and bananas and tiger people.
- Shiren the Wanderer 5: Fortune Tower and the Dice of Fate (2010, Nintendo DS) — Utilizes the Shiren 4 engine.
Along with the main installments, there have been a few gaiden games
- BS Shiren the Wanderer: Save Surara (1996, Satellaview)
- Shiren the Wanderer GB: The Monsters of Moonlight Village (1996, GB) (1999, 2002, PC) (2011, Android) — Shiren encounters the Dragon's Maw and a seemingly quaint village. The villagers transform into monsters at night.
- Shiren the Wanderer GB2: The Bedeviled Castle (2000, GBC) (2008, Nintendo DS) — This time, there's a creepy desert castle and some kind of Sealed Evil in a Can.
- Shiren the Wanderer Gaiden: The Swordswoman Asuka! (2002, Dream Cast, PC) — Asuka, from "Shiren 2", and Koppa have their own little adventure in Tenrin County, where they encounter ninjas and some sort of plant demon. Also, there's a massive post-game. This is notable for being the only Shiren game where he isn't the player avatar.
One notable thing about Shiren The Wanderer
is that it's the only Mystery Dungeon
game that uses original Chunsoft characters, as opposed to characters from Dragon Quest
For the first in the series, there is a SNES version (which was never released outside of Japan) and a DS version. Aeon Genesis has been kind enough to provide a translation patch for the SNES version.
The lone Wii installment was most recent Shiren
to be released outside Japan, so don't hold your breath for more
. Meanwhile, Shiren 5
had a December 2010 release, less than a year after the previous game. It was the first Shiren
in a while to be published directly by Chunsoft themselves.Masato Kato
is the scenario writer for the third game and was also involved in the fourth.
The games provide examples of: