Web Video / Ricesnot
Take what ye will, but don't rattle me bones!
"Welcome aboard, maties!"
is a Youtube Pooper
who is best known for his videos about skeletons
. He has stated that he wants to create 100 bone videos. He mostly makes YTPMVs and episodes of a series about the wacky adventures of a skeleton named Bones
and his friend Therapist
. His most used source is a commercial for an 80's board game called Rattle Me Bones, which has attained Memetic Mutation
status, in part thanks to his efforts.
Ricesnot's videos provide examples of:
- Aliens Steal Cattle: episode 5, "Space Cow Fight", features this. The alien, whose name is Galrog also abducts Bones and Therapist.
- Anal Probing: In episode 5, "Space Cow Fight",Galrog wants to do this to the most intelligent between Bones and Therapist.
- S2E1 has Galrog trick the entire police force into probing themselves.
Galrog: "just jam something up there it works I swear"
- Animation Bump: In the silliest way possible. With the first episode of Season 2, "These are the Mysteries" has an intro now. With actual original artwork at points!
- Ass Shove: In episode 6, "A Season Ends", Galrog's henchman comes not to bust him out of jail, but to deliver an anal probe he smuggled in his ass.
- Berserk Button: Do NOT rip off "Rattle Me Bones" unless you want to get sued or killed by Bones.
Bones: the blood will flow like rivers
- Black Comedy Rape: In "Violated Bones", Bones gets raped by a man who is singing the Ding Dong Song. His counseling therapist becomes one of the main characters of the series.
- Cerebus Syndrome: The videos are still comedic, but with the start of the "These are the Mysteries" series, there's now an actual plot (of sorts).
- Crossover: "bones III" has a Bones-i-fied version of the Lupin III theme.
- Calling Your Bathroom Breaks: In "bones takes a dump".
Bones: "there's something I have to do. something I should have done a long time ago"
- Christmas Episode: "A Very Ricesnot Christmas" retells the story of the birth of Jesus with copies of Therapist as the Three Wise Men and a 3D render of a baby playing a guitar as Jesus.
Wise Men: "incredible. not even a day old and already shredding like a pro"
- Coincidental Broadcast: In "therapist's adventure" there just so happens to be a show on to help Therapist dispose of Bones' bones.
Therapist: "tv will know how"
- Dem Bones: Well, obviously.
- Disproportionate Retribution: In response to the eurobeat and the street race outside, "Tokyo" blows up all of the racers but Bones with a RPG-7. Bones avoids this fate by turning off his radio.
- The Faceless: Ricesnot himself only communicates through text, not audio, and while he appears from "BONES DAY OUT" onwards in person, it's always in cosplay as Bones.
- Fan Disservice: In episode 7, "Season Special One", Bones decides to end the season with a photoshoot of hot ladies, and then reveals that the hot ladies are he and Therapist.
Therapist: "bones please"
Bones: [cocks shotgun] "put it on"
- Food as Bribe: In episode 4, "The Dame (or The Broad)", Therapist uses this to win Bones over.
Therapist: "bones was being a total dick about it. but I managed to 'persuade' him"
[Cut to Bones with a huge strawberry ice cream cone.]
Bones: "we'll take the case"
- Fountain of Youth: In "Baby Bones", Bones and Therapist are babies.
Bones: "today, we are babies"
Therapist: "bones, what is this. why am I a babychild"
- Ghost Pirate: Rattle Me Bones is a skeletal pirate.
- Girls Have Cooties: In episode 4, "The Dame (or The Broad", Bones tries to refuse Nancy entry over this.
Bones: "It would be an honor to help you. but I'm afraid the mystery wagon operates under a 'no girls allowed' policy. please submit your request via e-mail"
- Honey Trap: It turns out Nancy is one of these.note
Detective: "see, you're stuck"
- Medium Awareness: In 2x05, "Truly Stackless:"
Therapist: What? no, he wants this vid flagged for copyright so nobody can see him like this.
- Medium Blending: Some videos, like "Ricesnot's Indispensable Halloween Instruction," feature Ricesnot himself as Bones in live-action segments.
- Nobody Poops: Strangely averted by Bones himself in "Bones Takes a Dump." The results are destructive:
Bones: "I shat out every one of my bones"
- Noir Episode: episode 4, "The Dame (or The Broad)".
Therapist: "It started the way all tragedies do. with a dame. or a broad. both convey the same meaning"
- Only Sane Man: The police cop's Angry Cop.
Angry Cop: "this is a grave misuse of police resources"
- Overly Long Gag: "Several bones" is a loop of a skeleton dancing to a loop from "Devil's Den" by Skrillex for 8 minutes.
- Running Gag: In the Ricestreams, two things are a frequent source of jokes: Ricesnot's obsession with Viennetta, and a sound clip in his library called "shart.mp3".
- Schedule Slip: While there wasn't really one to begin with, the gap of time between episodes 6 and 7 of These are the Mysteries spanned from September 17th, to June 18th the following year. It's even referenced in episode 7, "Season Special One".
Bones: "But you'll be gone for months. No one should have to wait months for new mysteries"
- Shout-Out: Oshare Bones appears in several videos, such as "rattle oshare bones," and "bones III".
- Skeletal Musician: Skelex, an obvious expy of Skrillex. There's also the trumpeter pirates from the Rattle Me Bones commercial.
- Standard Snippet: When the music used isn't from a video game or a show, it's all stock tunes. Some are used more effectively than others, but all of it sets the tone well.
- Stupid Statement Dance Mix: Since there are only thirty seconds of footage to work with, any music in the videos are one of these. He also remixed a lot of music from Mighty Switch Force! this way.
- His cover of Bonetrousle uses his own videos as a source.
- Stylistic Suck: Every image used in the videos is from some form of stock image poorly edited to have no background (or sometimes not at all), with their watermarks clearly visible even when they could have been easily edited out. The animation done with them is all simple tweens and is very intentionally shoddy as a result.
- After the original "bones iii" video was taken down for its use of the Lupin III theme, the remastered version features a live-action version of Ricesnot playing the theme badly on a trumpet.
- Suicide as Comedy: In "therapist's adventure" Bones shoots himself in the face with a shotgun.
Bones: "we could play 'eat the gun'"
Bones: "i'll go first"
Therapist: "wait" Bang.
- Trademark Favorite Food: The Ricestreams revealed that Ricesnot has a thing for Viennetta, an ice cream dessert. He also has an obsession with hot dogs.
- Troll: Ricesnot periodically uploads videos of himself (such as "ricescribble" and "bones invades peaceful art realm") going into roleplay boards on iscribble and filling them with drawings of hot dogs and bones.
- Weirdness Censor: In episode 7, "Season Special One", Officer Frank scans a piece of luggage with Bones hidden inside it.
Bones: "suitcases have skeletons"
Officer Frank: "oh OK"
- Weapon of Choice: Therapist believes Shotguns Are Just Better, as well as frequently employing Good Old Fisticuffs.
Therapist: "bones, I don't have mad marksmanship skills that's why I use a shotgun"
- Would Hurt a Child: Therapist isn't above threatening children with a shotgun and/or his fists if they come to his doorstep on Halloween while dressed as fake skeletons.
Therapist: "A shotgun is an effective way to deter children"
"Batteries sold separately, from Ideal!" [sax riff]