The Piratez Mod
is a pirate-themed total conversion for OpenXcom
. It is available for free here
The mod provides examples of the following:
- Absolute Cleavage: The Witch Doctor "armor" has this.
- After the End: The story takes place many years after a lost game of the first X-Com, and most humans have been turned into mutants. In fact, all of your pirates are mutants too, and terror missions are replaced by pogroms against mutants.
- The M3 submachinegun (a.k.a. the Grease Gun) is the "Spraygun"
- The AK-47 is the "Homefront Rifle"
- Aliens Are Bastards: Of course they are, though they're not as murderous as in the vanilla game... Just slightly less so.
- Amazon Brigade: Your pirates are all women.
- Anti-Hero: Your crew in general. While they may make half-assed attempts to paint themselves as freedom fighters, they're mostly in it for the loot and the thrill.
- Bad Future: Which is why it's okay to kill people for loot; they're part of the reason why living on Earth sucks!
- Black Market: Where goods like weapons, aircraft parts or hair bleach are bought and sold.
- Booze-Based Buff: Alcohol replaces medkits.
- Breast Plate: Armor plating may cover some of the breasts, but not a whole lot else.
- Chainsaw Good: One of the weapons added by the mod, of course.
- Chaotic Neutral: Though not very deeply examined, your crew's attitude (as expressed by your aide) is best described as Type 1.
- Church Militant: The Church faction replaces Snakemen in the game. They come complete with elite Reverends and Cardinals.
- Crapsack World: The aliens have conquered Earth, most humans are mostly dead or mutated, and the rest serves the Star Gods. Oh, and pretty much every faction is busy plotting against everyone else. Or doing mutant pogroms.
- Crossover: While most enemies are original and can be considered a logical result of the alien occupation, you may also encounter a faction composed from creatures from Doom.
- Dressed to Plunder: A standard female pirate uniform is available to wear.
- Drop the Hammer: Makes for a decent, if slow, starting weapon. Hell, it's pretty good throughout the game.
- Elite Mook: Trader Bodyguards, wearing goddamn power armors, which are basically immune to small arms fire. And they may appear right in your first mission.
- Everyone Is Armed: Everyone. Even the jolly tourist guy wearing shorts will try to shoot you to death.
- Naturally, averted with the mutant citizens. They're there to die en masse, not kill stuff.
- Fantastic Racism: Pureblood humans vs. mutants. And vice versa.
- Generican Empire: Here called Stellar Empire.
- Golden Age of Piracy: Heavily referenced, especially in the authorities.
- Imperial Stormtrooper Marksmanship Academy: Even moreso than the original X-COM, weapons are even more inaccurate and spray even more bullets all over the place, forcing you to either get close with shotguns and melee weapons, or scrounge up enough money for hunting rifles.
- Made a Slave: Sad fate of those prisoners that you don't want to sell for ransom. Not only you get bonus storing space for each slave, you can even build a mining ship and use them as forced labor force!
- Mega Corp.:
- The Traders Guild, in a way. They effectively control trade between the semi-autonomous states, since they're given freedom of movement around the planet. They also seem to possess significant industrial potential, as well as a whole army of well-trained mercenaries.
- The Eurosyndicate is a more straight example, although it's way less present in the game.
- Mutants: You and your allies, as well as some of your enemies. Most Eartlings really.
- Nintendo Hard: To begin with, you don't get any decent weapons or interceptors to shoot down ships with for a very long time, you initially rely on melee weapons and pirate wave attacks, you face tough enemies like Reapers immediately, even the top-tier armor is still pretty thin, etc.
- Our Demons Are Different: And stolen from Doom.
- Pirates: Of the positive sort, though their victims may disagree.
- Pirate Girl: Everyone in your crew.
- Shock and Awe: One of the late-game weapons is a hand-held Tesla Coil.
- Sky Pirates
- Stripperriffic: Armor tends to cover some of the upper body, but as little of the lower body as possible.
- Super Soldier: Several candidates, but primarily the Mercs. Whoever you are, they are tougher, stronger, faster, meaner and better equipped than you.
- Talk Like a Pirate: Implemented in every part of the game possible, including the UI itself. For example, "OK" and "Cancel" are replaced by "YARRR!" and "BEGONE!"
- Those Wacky Nazis: A minor enemy faction. They fly in swastika-shaped UFOs.
- Walk the Plank: When your girls are underperformers, this is the final solution. It's unclear if this should be taken literally or if it's just slang for being kicked out.
- We Have Reserves: Even moreso than the original X-COM, your first few missions will consist of pirate wave melee assaults, helped by the starting transport carrying 18 pirates.
- We Will Use Manual Labor in the Future: Because hiring Runts is way easier than buying complex machinery.
- Xtreme Kool Letterz: Right there in the title.