Recap: Wander Over Yonder S 1 E 9 The Hero The Birthday Boy
and The Birthday Boy
appeared as two halves of the same episode. They first aired on March 31, 2014.
Wander and Sylvia are pressed into the service of a buff and brawny hero in his quest to save a beautiful princess from a dragon. It doesn't quite work out for the hero as he hoped.
- Death Course: Complete with an alternate route and a patterned series of attacks. Not that either do Brad any good.
- Miles Gloriosus: Brad Starlight demands Wander add a verse about him fighting a bear into the ballad the latter is making up about him, despite having never done such a thing... or indeed anything remotely heroic whatsoever. Also a whiny jerk.
- Self-Fulfilling Prophecy: Attempted by Brad, averted by Demurra, because "This isn't a fairy tale."
The Birthday Boy
It's Lord Hater's birthday. The Watchdogs have gotten him a Doom Arena for his present, and Peepers has brought Wander and Sylvia to face their destruction. Wander is delighted to be part of the festivities until he realizes that Hater is not having a good time at his own birthday party. The little orange guy makes it his mission to get Hater to smile.
- Big Red Button: Releases the pit monster.
- Fluffy Tamer: Wander tames the pit monster by giving it dog bisquits.
- Pass the Popcorn: When Hater falls into the arena and is about to be beaten up, Sylvia sits on his throne and asks for popcorn.
- Spin the Bottle: Hater tries to kill Wander with a death ray, but Wander thinks it's spin the bottle. Hilarity Ensues.
- The Unsmile: When Wander and Sylvia finally get Hater to smile.