Recap / Spongebob Squarepants S 2 E 4 Dyingfor Pie Imitation Krabs
Dying for Pie
It's Employee Appreciation Day at the Krusty Krab and Mr. Krabs has SpongeBob and Squidward exchange gifts. After revealing the gifts have to be homemade, Squidward buys a pie from a group of pirates that turns out to be a bomb. Then he's convinced that SpongeBob ate it...Imitation Krabs
Plankton sends a robotic duplicate of Mr. Krabs to try and steal the Krabby Patty formula, and SpongeBob believes it's the real thing.
Dying for Pie contains examples of...
- Bumper Sticker: "Do Not Ask Me About My Day."
- Cardiovascular Love: SpongeBob's sweater for Squidward reads "I ♥ U". Squidward reads it as "I heart you".
- Getting Crap Past the Radar: This is the first episode to show blood on screen. Specifically, the scene where SpongeBob decides to operate on Squidward as part of what he doesn't realize to be a bucket list.
- Hair-Trigger Explosive: A bite of that pie falling on the ground is enough to blow up Mr. Krabs' office when that hits the ground, which makes you wonder why it didn't explode when Squidward dropped it on Mr. Krabs' desk. During the ending scene, SpongeBob shows Squidward that he never ate the bomb pie, he was saving it in his pocket the whole time. He then trips, dropping the pie and causing an explosion (a live-action nuclear one to be specific), and then it cuts back Bikini Bottom in ruins
- Home Made Sweater From Hell: SpongeBob makes Squidward a sweater made from his own eyelashes. Later he makes another one from his own tears.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Squidward once again expresses concern for SpongeBob as he waits in fear for the bomb to go off.
- Medium-Shift Gag: When the bomb finally goes off, it cuts to live action Stock Footage of an atomic explosion.
- Mistaken for Dying
- Never Say "Die": Averted, obviously.
- Noodle Incident: Mr. Krabs has seen people die from eating exploding pies before. Eleven times, in fact. As has the doctor Squidward calls.
- Reading Foreign Signs Out Loud: The German dub has a few of the characters' voice actors doing it. (For example, translating the Bumper Sticker from "Do Not Ask Me About My Day" to "Frag Mich Nicht Wie's Mir Geht").
- Tears of Remorse: Squidward sheds these when he thinks SpongeBob has exploded.
- Too Dumb to Live: SpongeBob, who completely looks past that Squidward just explained that the pie was a bomb and still suggests that they eat it anyway; he ends up shoving it into his face by complete accident, blowing up all of Bikini Bottom in the process.
- Squidward as well, for knowingly buying a pie explicitly said to be a bomb by the pirates, and taking their word for it when they say that was a lie as they con him out of a fast buck.
Imitation Krabs contains examples of...
- Air Quotes: Used by Squidward when he meets Robot Krabs.
Squidward: You're not Mr. Krabs.
Robot Krabs: Hey, why don't you take the rest of the day off?
Squidward: Ha-ha! Well, whatever you say, "Mr. Krabs".
- Bottle Episode: The entire episode is set at the Krusty Krab, and SpongeBob is wearing his hat almost the entire time.
- Dramatic Gasp: When Mr. Krabs walks in on SpongeBob about to give Robot Krabs the secret formula, everyone gasps, including the penny Krabs was chasing.
- Hoist by His Own Petard: "Coin operated self destruct. Not one of my better ideas."
- I Take Offense to That Last One:
Mr. Krabs: If I were a robot, which I'm not, at least I'm well put together, not some rusted-up, steam-driven pile of junk.
Robot Krabs: Who are you calling steam-driven?
- Paper-Thin Disguise: SpongeBob falls completely for Plankton's robot, despite being obviously made of metal and talking in Robo Speak in Plankton's own voice. Squidward doesn't fall for it, but plays along anyway when "Mr. Krabs" gives him the day off.
- Pinocchio Nose: A variant, every time Plankton/Robot Krabs says that he's Mr. Krabs, smoke puffs out from the robot's exhaust pipe.
- Pun-Based Title
- Rocky Roll Call:
Mr. Krabs: Plankton!
Mr. Krabs: Plankton!
- Saying Sound Effects Out Loud: After eating spaghetti, Robot Krabs says "Belch" rather than actually belching. Also, his Dramatic Gasp when Mr. Krabs appears is him just saying "Gasp".
- Secret Handshake: SpongeBob has a long, elaborate one with Mr. Krabs. It takes over six-and-a-half hours to do!
- Spot the Impostor: SpongeBob gives the two Krabs a series of questions he thinks only the real Mr. Krabs would know. The first two are generic questions that anyone who's been to the Krusty Krab can answer and Robot Krabs answers them both. The third question is one that is so complicated that even the real Krabs can't answer.
- Throwing the Distraction: To get rid of Krabs, Plankton throws a penny and Krabs follows it as it rolls out the door. It later rolls back inside, leading Krabs to Plankton just as he's about to get the formula.
- Too Dumb to Live: SpongeBob as usual, completely falling for Plankton's robot Krabs every step of the way.
- Plankton also counts, rushing all the way back to the Chum Bucket as the self-destruct sequence nears its end, blowing up his own restaurant.
- Wide Eyes and Shrunken Irises/Skyward Scream: When SpongeBob informs Mr. Krabs, who is wondering where Squidward is, that he gave Squidward the day off, Mr. Krabs' irises narrow to pinpricks, as he says, "Day..." and screams, "OOOOOOOFFFFFFFFFFFF?!?!?"