Dying for Pie contains examples of...
- Bumper Sticker: "Do Not Ask Me About My Day."
- Cardiovascular Love: SpongeBob's sweater for Squidward reads "I ♥ U". Squidward reads it as "I heart you".
- Celestial Deadline: When SpongeBob is thought to eat the exploding pie, Mr. Krabs says he’s only got until sunset before it drops into his lower intestine and that’s the time he is to explode.
- Crashing Dreams: The episode opens with an Imagine Spot of Squidward on an island playing tropical music on a piano when he's interrupted by SpongeBob ringing a bell yelling "Order up, Squidward!", which resulted from his ringing alarm clock.
- Failed a Spot Check: Upon entering Mr. Krabs' office, SpongeBob instantly took notice of the pie on his desk, ignoring the huge hole in the wall.
- Family-Unfriendly Death: It's only an Imagine Spot, but the scene where Squidward imagines SpongeBob literally exploding in the middle of serving a customer is chilling even for a children's program.
- Getting Crap Past the Radar: The scene of SpongeBob doing open heart surgery on Squidward is the show's first episode to show blood on screen.
- Gory Discretion Shot: While the aforementioned imagination sequence doesn't show SpongeBob exploding on-screen, we do see pieces of what used to be the sponge sprinkling all over the restaurant to give the impression that that's what happened.
- Hair-Trigger Explosive: A bite of that pie falling on the ground is enough to blow up Mr. Krabs' office when that hits the ground, which makes you wonder why it didn't explode when Squidward dropped it on Mr. Krabs' desk. During the ending scene, SpongeBob shows Squidward that he never ate the bomb pie, he was saving it in his pocket the whole time. He then trips, dropping the pie and causing a nuclear explosion that leaves Bikini Bottom in tatters.Squidward: Ow.
- Home Made Sweater From Hell: SpongeBob makes Squidward a sweater made from his own eyelashes. Later he makes another one from his own tears.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Squidward once again expresses concern for SpongeBob as he waits in fear for the bomb to go off.
- Karma Houdini: As far as we know, the pirates never got their comeuppance for tricking Squidward into thinking a pie was a bomb. At the very least, they conned him out of his money, and their trick could very easily have killed somebody.
- Last Day to Live: Squidward is convinced SpongeBob ate the bomb pie, so he is tasked by Mr. Krabs to enjoy his “final hours” with him. When he doesn’t explode after all, he isn’t too pleased about it.
- Medium-Shift Gag: When the bomb finally goes off, it cuts to live action Stock Footage of an atomic explosion.
- Mistaken for Dying: Squidward believes SpongeBob ate the bomb pie and tries to make best of his "last day on Earth". He is none at all happy when he finds out SpongeBob never ate the pie.
- Never Say "Die": Averted, obviously.
- Noodle Incident: Mr. Krabs has seen people die from eating exploding pies before. Eleven times, in fact. As has the doctor Squidward calls.
- No Sympathy: Initially quite averted with Squidward, who is quite guilt-ridden to learn that Spongebob will supposedly die at sunset because of him and willingly joins Spongebob in a variety of ridiculous (and even dangerous) activities to make his last hours as meaningful as possible. However, when Spongebob does not explode as expected, instead of being happy, Squidward is angry because his time was wasted.
- Off-Model: When Squidward points at Spongebob to say "...that guy!", Mr. Krabs lower half comes further into frame to reveal that the animators didn't draw any legs on him.
- Reading Foreign Signs Out Loud: The German dub has a few of the characters' voice actors doing it. (For example, translating the Bumper Sticker from "Do Not Ask Me About My Day" to "Frag Mich Nicht Wie's Mir Geht").
- Scenery Gorn: Bikini Bottom and its surroundings are positively TOASTED after the bomb has exploded.
- "Shaggy Dog" Story: It turns out SpongeBob never ate the bomb pie; he was saving it in his pocket, and he really ate a different pie offscreen which was completely non-fatal.
- Skewed Priorities: After Squidward explains to him about the exploding pie, the first thing Mr. Krabs comments on is the twenty-five dollars Squidward spent on the pie.
- Tears of Remorse: Squidward sheds these when he thinks SpongeBob has exploded.
- Three... Two... One...: Squidward hesitantly counts down the sunset to SpongeBob‘s request, when he believes his explosion is going to happen any second.
- Too Dumb to Live:
- SpongeBob, who completely looks past that Squidward just explained that the pie was a bomb and still suggests that they eat it anyway. He then trips over a pebble, accidentally sending the pie flying into Squidward's face, blowing up all of Bikini Bottom in the process.
- Squidward as well, for knowingly buying a pie explicitly said to be a bomb by the pirates, and taking their word for it when they say that they were just kidding as they con him out of a fast buck, although Squidward probably didn't care enough to think twice and only wanted to get Mr. Krabs off his back.
- What the Hell, Hero?: Mr. Krabs gives one to Squidward when it looked like SpongeBob has eaten the exploding pie.Mr. Krabs: You had to kill him. The boy cries you a sweater of tears... and you kill him. How are you gonna live with yourself?
Imitation Krabs contains examples of...
- Accidental Truth: SpongeBob mistakes a customer who makes an innocent quire about what's in Krabby Patties for Plankton in another disguise and rips off his head. Turns out, he was wearing a mask, but only because he's insecure about the fact that his real head is disproportionately small for his body.Customer: Everyone at the Head Enhancement Clinic said nobody would notice! "runs away crying"
- Air Quotes: Used by Squidward when he meets Robot Krabs.Squidward: You're not Mr. Krabs.
Robot Krabs: Hey, why don't you take the rest of the day off?
Squidward: Ha-ha! Well, whatever you say, "Mr. Krabs".
- Big "WHAT?!": Plankton screams this after 6 1/2 hours of random requests from SpongeBob before giving him the formula. Since he’s speaking through Robot Krabs, it comes out rather dull.
- Bottle Episode: The entire episode is set at the Krusty Krab, and SpongeBob is wearing his hat almost the entire time.
- Dramatic Gasp: When Mr. Krabs walks in on SpongeBob about to give Robot Krabs the secret formula, everyone gasps, including the penny Krabs was chasing.
- Funny Background Event: The opening pan of the Krusty Krab's interior shows the patrons enjoying their burgers in... creative ways. For example, one customer is sucking on it like a pacifier while another has removed the top bun and is licking the inside.
- Hoist by His Own Petard: "Coin-operated self-destruct. Not one of my better ideas."
- I Take Offense to That Last One!:Mr. Krabs: If I were a robot, which I'm not, at least I'm well put together, not some rusted-up, steam-driven pile of junk.
Robot Krabs: Who are you calling steam-driven?
- Inventional Wisdom: Even Plankton admits that equipping his robot with a coin-operated Self-Destruct Mechanism wasn't a good idea.
- Paper-Thin Disguise: SpongeBob falls completely for Plankton's robot, despite being obviously made of metal and talking in Robo Speak in Plankton's own voice. Squidward doesn't fall for it, but plays along anyway when "Mr. Krabs" gives him the day off.
- Pinocchio Nose: A variant, every time Plankton/Robot Krabs says that he's Mr. Krabs, smoke puffs out from the robot's exhaust pipe.
- Real Time: When SpongeBob somehow activates Robot Krabs’ coin-operated selfxdestruct, it states the robot will self-destruct in ten seconds. Indeed exactly ten seconds elapse between that announcement and the time Robot Krabs explodes.
- Robot Me: Plankton creates a robot double of Mr. Krabs to get the Krabby Patty formula.
- Rocky Roll Call:Mr. Krabs: Plankton!
Mr. Krabs: Plankton!
- Saying Sound Effects Out Loud: After eating spaghetti, Robot Krabs says "Belch" rather than actually belching. Also, his Dramatic Gasp when Mr. Krabs appears is him just saying "Gasp".
- Secret Handshake: SpongeBob has a long, elaborate one with Mr. Krabs. It takes over six-and-a-half hours to do!
- Spot the Impostor: SpongeBob gives the two Krabs a series of questions he thinks only the real Mr. Krabs would know. The first two are generic questions that anyone who's been to the Krusty Krab can answer and Robot Krabs answers them both. The third question is one that is so complicated that even the real Krabs can't answer.
- Throwing the Distraction: To get rid of Krabs, Plankton throws a penny and Krabs follows it as it rolls out the door. It later rolls back inside, leading Krabs to Plankton just as he's about to get the formula.
- Title Drop: "So long, Imitation Krabs, bye-bye!"
- Too Dumb to Live: SpongeBob as usual, completely falling for Plankton's robot Krabs every step of the way.
- Plankton also counts, rushing all the way back to the Chum Bucket as the self-destruct sequence nears its end, blowing up his own restaurant.
- Skyward Scream: When SpongeBob informs Mr. Krabs, who is wondering where Squidward is, that he gave Squidward the day off, Mr. Krabs' irises narrow to pinpricks, as he says, "Day..." and screams, "OOOOOOOFFFFFFFFFFFF?!?!?"