Recap: Spongebob Squarepants S 2 E 15 The Secret Box Band Geeks
Airdate: September 7, 2001SpongeBob has discovered something: Patrick has a box with a secret inside. At first he doesn't seem to care, but as the possibilities creep upon him... What if it's a picture of him at the Christmas party!? So SpongeBob devises a plan to separate Patrick from his box long enough to see what's inside.
The Secret Box contains examples of the following Tropes: YMMV goes here
- Arson, Murder, and Jaywalking: As SpongeBob ponders what's in Patrick's box.What could be in that box that Patrick doesn't want me to see? Maybe it's the world's only albino jellyfish. Or maybe Patrick's a master jewel thief and it's full of diamonds. Or maybe he's a deranged maniac who keeps his victims' severed heads in a box. Or even worse... maybe it's a really embarrassing snapshot of me from the Christmas party!
- Department of Redundancy Department: "It's no secret that the best thing about a secret is secretly telling someone your secret, thereby adding another secret to their secret collection of secrets, secretly."
- Don't Wake the Sleeper
- Friendship Trinket: "It's the Best Friends Forever, Best Friends Forever ring!"
- Heavy Sleeper: Patrick sleeps through all the noise SpongeBob makes while trying to sneak in, but it's the whispering that wakes him up.
- So Much for Stealth: As SpongeBob sneaks inside Patrick's house, his footsteps make loud, incongruious noises. After all that racket fails to wake Patrick up, he whispers about what a heavy sleeper Patrick is... which is what wakes Patrick up.
- Stocking Mask: SpongeBob wears pantyhose on his head when sneaking into Patrick's home. His head briefly takes the shape of a leg when he snaps it on.
Airdate: September 7, 2001Squidward's old rival, Squilliam Fancyson, calls him to gloat that he's fulfilling Squidward's dream of leading a band at the Bubble Bowl. But Since Squilliam can't make it, he dares Squidward to form a marching band of his own within a week, which Squidward accepts. He rounds up many of Bikini Bottom's citizens and throughout the week, instructs them how to play their instruments, which nobody makes any progress on. On the night before the big show, an all-out brawl breaks out between the band members. At the end of class, Squidward chews out the band for ruining his dream and walks off dejected. Feeling bad for Squidward, the band, under SpongeBob's guidance, vow to make Squidward proud with their performance. On the day of the Bubble Bowl, Squilliam shows up to see Squidward make a fool out of himself, when to Squidward's surprise, his band shows up in full regalia. At the performance, everyone is suprised when SpongeBob and the band pull of a magnificent rock performance. Squilliam suffers a heart attack and is wheeled to the hospital while Squidward conducts his band in "sweet victory"."Band Geeks" is a fan favorite and currently stands at #1 on the SpongeBob SquarePants Best Episode Crowner. See also: SpongeBob SquarePants Music.
Band Geeks contain examples of the following Tropes: YMMV goes here
- Break the Haughty: Squilliam gets this at the ending of "Band Geeks."
- Brick Joke: After kicking Sandy at the beginning, she drags Patrick outside, does... something to him with a trombone. During the huge brawl at the end, Patrick kicks Sandy again and she chases after him with another trombone.
- Brown Note: "If we play loud, people might think we're good."
- Also, the finale song gives Squilliam a heart attack.
- Continuity Nod: At one point during the start of "Sweet Victory", you can see the friendship ring on Spongebob's finger from the last episode.
- Eye Pop: Squidward does one when he's surprised by the band showing up.
- Hands Go DownPatrick: Is mayonnaise an instrument?Squidward: No Patrick, mayonnaise is not an instrument.(Patrick's hand goes down; raises it again)Squidward: Horse radish isn't an instrument either.(Patrick puts his hand down)
- Hollywood Heart Attack: Squilliam the the end.
- Instant Flight, Just Add Spinning: The baton twirlers twirl so fast they fly off and crash into a blimp.
- iSophagus: After Patrick gets pulled through a trombone by Sandy, he makes trombone sounds as he walks.
- My God, What Have I Done?: "What kind of monsters are we?"
- Overly Long Gag: Plankton's harmonica solo.
- The Power of Rock: The ending.
- Punctuated! For! Emphasis!: "Big. Meaty. Claws!"
- "Reason You Suck" Speech: When Squidward calls out on everyone for the failure.Squidward: Well, you did it. You took my one chance at happiness...and crushed it! Crushed it into little, tiny, bite-sized pieces! I really had expected better of you people. [starts crying] I guess I'm a loser for that, too. Don't bother showing up tomorrow. I'll just tell them you all...died in a marching accident. So, thanks. [sobbing] Thanks for nothing! [leaves]
- Repurposed Pop Song: "Sweet Victory (The Winner Takes All)," originally recorded in '80s by David Glen Eisley and made far more popular by this episode.
- Roger Rabbit Effect: The band perform in front of a live-action crowd, which the characters comment on.Patrick: Those are some ugly-looking fish.
SpongeBob: Maybe we're near one of those toxic waste dumps.
Mr. Krabs: I think I'm gonna be sick!
- Rousing Speech: SpongeBob gives one to rally up the band members.
- Scream Discretion Shot: "Whoever's the owner of the white sedan, you left your lights on."
- Throw the Dog a Bone: Squidward at the end.
- Troubled Fetal Position: Squidward when two members of the marching band get killed in an accident while a trumpeter plays "Taps".