Recap: Spongebob Squarepants S 1 E 20 Hooky Mermaid Manand Barnacle Boy II
Airdate: April 8, 2000Mr. Krabs warns SpongeBob to stay away from "the hooks" (fishing hooks, that is), but they prove too alluring for SpongeBob, until he learns a lesson he'll never forget.Has a YMMV page.
Hooky contains examples of:
- An Aesop: SpongeBob learns not to play near fishing hooks.
- Brick Joke: Mr. Krabs warns the boys that if they keep playing with the hooks they'll end up in a tuna can. At the end, that's exactly what happens to Patrick.
- The Cameo: Jim Jarmusch and his friend John Lurie (who hosted Fishing With John, in which Jarmusch was a guest star) appear as fishermen.
- Fate Worse Than Death: Mr. Krabs describes what happens when you get hooked.Mr. Krabs: Then they cook you, and then they eat you... or worse!
SpongeBob: What could be worse than that?
Mr. Krabs: Gift shops.
- Later, Mr. Krabs mentions that there is a worse fate than even that: "You end up vacuum packed in a can of tuna, with nothing to look forward to but the smell of mayonnaise!" That very same thing happens to Patrick.
- Lethal Chef: Squidward. One of the customers' sandwich was a fried boot.
- Loophole Abuse: "Don't say you're leaving work. Just say you're taking a break."
- Lying Finger Cross: Patrick claimed that he had his fingers crossed when he made the sailor's promise. SpongeBob then points out that Patrick doesn't have fingers.
- Medium Shift Gag: The fishermen who try to catch SpongeBob and Patrick are live-action. Also there are photos of dried fish at a gift shop, a can of tuna and a jar of mayonnaise
- Naked People Trapped Outside: When SpongeBob is caught by a hook, he begs Mr. Krabs to let him in before he gets pulled up. Krabs instructs him to take off his pants, and he does. Unfortunately, the hook is caught in his underwear, which eventually tears away, leaving a naked SpongeBob to run back home.
- Oblivious to His Own DescriptionPatrick: Well, that Mr. Krabs is just a big dummy!... Are you gonna listen to a big dummy, or are you gonna listen to me?
- Repeat After Me:Mr. Krabs: I wanna hear a sailor's promise. Yo-ho, yo-ho! Near the hooks I'll never go!
SpongeBob and Patrick: Yo-ho, yo-ho! Near the hooks I'll never go!
Mr. Krabs: [Gets hooked from behind] YEOW! Mother of pearl! Fire on the poopdeck!
SpongeBob and Patrick: Yeow! Mother of pearl! Fire on the poopdeck!
- Scare 'Em Straight: SpongeBob getting hooked in the end was actually planned by Mr. Krabs (Squidward was the one holding the line) to scare him out of playing with fishing hooks ever again.
- Smoldering Shoes: When SpongeBob asks why there's no one at the "carnival", Patrick mentions seeing a kid there earlier. As he says this, a pair of sneakers is seen on the foreground.
- Tastes Like Feet: When Squidward subs for SpongeBob, this exchanges happens.Customer #1: Pee-ew! You call this food?
Customer #2: My sandwich tastes like a fried boot.
Customer: #3: My sandwich is a fried boot!
- You Have to Believe Me: Mr. Krabs bursts into the Krusty Krab raving about "the hooks!", while the others ignore him.
Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy II
- Affectionate Parody Of A Parody: The Jingle Bells song is a take-off on an old schoolyard joke, "Jingle bells, Batman smells, Robin laid an egg..."
- Ash Face: Barnacle Boy after running afoul of the Atomic Flounder.
- Asshole Victim: Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy were this to SpongeBob, so it's obvious why he didn't save them right away.
- Bat Signal: The Conch Signal is this to Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy.
- Eye Beams: Barnacle Boy's "Sulfurvision", which doesn't work as well as it used to.
- Breath Weapon: The Atomic Flounder has radioactive breath, which he uses on Barnacle Boy.
- Heel-Face Turn: The Atomic Flounder was one of Mermaid Man's foes, but is now retired. Doesn't stop SpongeBob from trying to arrest him.
- Impossibly Compact Folding: The Origami Button on the Boatmobile folds it into a small paper crane.
- Just Whistle: Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy are duty-bound to come when the Conch Signal sounds.
- Taking Advantage of Generosity: SpongeBob uses the Conch Signal to have Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy do mundane errands for him (opening jars, fixing his sink, reading bedtime stories), until the two heroes are run ragged.
- Villains Out Shopping: Mermaid Man shows SpongeBob retired supervillain The Atomic Flounder, wearing streetclothes and waiting for the bus. SpongeBob attacks him when Mermaid Man jokes that he could turn back to crime just like that.
- Weaksauce Weakness: SpongeBob accidentally defeats the Dirty Bubble by puncturing it with a sharp pencil when he asks for his autograph.