Little Mix is a four-piece British Girl Group
. In 2011, they became the first group to ever
win The X Factor
during its eighth season.
Formed similarly to One Direction
, Little Mix is comprised of four singers who originally auditioned for the show as solo artists, but were eventually put together as a group prior to the live shows. Originally known as Rhythmix, the group was forced to change their name when a charity organization of the same name threatened to sue
Little Mix is made up of:
- Perrie Edwards (born July 10, 1993) from South Shields, Tyne and Wear.
- Jesy Nelson (born June 14, 1991) from Romford, London.
- Leigh-Anne Pinnock (born October 4, 1991) from High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire.
- Jade Thirwall (born December 26, 1992) from South Shields, Tyne and Wear.
Little Mix provides examples of:
- Blonde, Brunette, Redhead: During their time on the show, Perrie, Jade and Leigh-Anne were the original configuration of this. Post-show, Leigh-Anne went back to her natural black while Jesy dyed her hair red, but the latter has since reverted back to her natural brunette.
- Break Up Song: Pretend It's O K, Turn Your Face, Going Nowhere, Case Closed.
- Celebrity Resemblance: Jade looks a lot like fellow Geordie (and Ex-Factor judge) Cheryl Cole.
- Cover Version: Their winners' single was a cover of Damien Rice 's "Cannonball", reworked as a R&B-styled ballad.
- On BBC Radio 1, they did a fantastic cover of Mumford and Sons song I Will wait http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTytQWfcO4M . In this version, they used their voices absolutely brilliantly. The cover even uses a conductor.
- Childhood Friends: Jade has known 2009 winner Joe Mcelderry since they were kids.
- Double Standard: The DNA video tells some incomprehensible story about a guy they have kidnapped. He appears tied up in Perrie's car, and the video ends with all four of them walking towards him about to do god-knows-what to him. It's pretty clear this is meant to be sexy. Now if a boyband had a music video showing a girl they kidnapped and tied up...I'll say no more.
- Everyone Loves Blondes: Perrie.
- Four Girl Ensemble: Jade is the sweet-naive one, Jesy is the Deadpan Snarker, Leigh-Anne is the glamorous one, and Perrie is the Wild Card (in every sense of the word).
- Gasshole: Perrie.
- Hard Drinking Party Girl: Leigh-Anne and Jade are known for being this.
- Hollywood Homely: Upon getting into the band, Jesy became the target of nasty bullying and name-calling on The Internet, mostly because of her weight. She's obviously not overweight at all, but it doesn't help that her bandmates are quite thin in comparison to her.
- This was actually addressed in one of their V Ts during the live shows, showing Jesy very distraught by peoples' mean-spirited comments of her on Twitter. Many agree that this endeared her (and them) to the nation, winning them even more support.
- Intercourse with You: DNA, Lovedrunk, Stereo Soldier.
- Homage: The "DNA" video appears to be one to the Sin City film.
- Love Is A Drug: Lovedrunk.
- Named After Somebody Famous: Perrie was named after Steve Perry, of Journey.
- Older and Wiser: Prior to finally making it to the live shows with Little Mix, Jade had previously auditioned for the 2008 and 2010 seasons of the show, but only made it as far as the bootcamp stage both times.
- Oop North: Jade and Perrie are both Geordies from the same town.
- Singing Voice Dissonance: Perrie's singing voice is much deeper than her speaking voice.
- Spammer: Not them directly, but their image is often used on HTML spam emails for services ranging from 'cheap software' to 'MP3 downloads' to 'missold your PPI?'. Yet their management do nothing about this.
- Spiritual Successor: Because of their Talent Show roots (where they trumped boybands at their own game), Little Mix are comparable to Girls Aloud in origin.
- Self Empowerment Anthem: Change Your Life, and Wings.
- Tomboyish Name: Perrie has one.
- True Companions: In "Always Be Together".
- Underdogs Never Lose: At the beginning of their season, everybody assumed that Little Mix would go the way of most girlbands on the show and lose out almost immediately. However, as the season went on, they kept getting better and better, which ultimately led to their increased support and eventual victory.
- White-Haired Pretty Girl: Perrie was this for a little while, before she died her hair purple.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Jade does at the moment◊, while Perrie's hair is currently lavender◊. However, at the start of March, the latter turned her hair pink, It than became Blond and Pink a few days later, before returning to its origional blond by the end of the month.
- Video Full Of Film Clips: The official video for "Cannonball" is just a bunch of clips taken from their journey on The X Factor.
- You Don't Look Like You: Their dolls don't look anything like them, with Jade's hair suddenly ''purple'' and Jesy's pink. Leighanne even has a afro, for some reason.