Little Mix is a four-piece British Girl Group
. In 2011, they became the first group to ever
win The X Factor
during its eighth season.
Formed similarly to One Direction
, Little Mix is comprised of four singers who originally auditioned for the show as solo artists, but were eventually put together as a group prior to the live shows. Originally known as Rhythmix, the group was forced to change their name when a charity organization of the same name threatened to sue
They have achieved several firsts: First girlgroup in X Factor top 5, first group to win X Factor, first UK no 1 by any girlgroup since Girls Aloud (Saturdays got their first no 1 later), first X Factor winner to release an original single in summer, first UK girlgroup since All Saints to earn a double platinum single in Australia (and first since the Sugababes in 2005 to be in the top 3!) and first UK girlgroup EVER
to go straight into the top 5 in the US with its debut album. They have also got hundreds of millions of youtube views. Biggest single Wings has over 50 million alone!
In 2013, they released the album Salute
which followed its predecessor in being a transatlantic top tenner (it was even seen atop the US iTunes chart for a few hours, although it charted 6th- it would have been 4th if compilations were removed from the US albums chart as with the UK- and narrowly missed the top 5). This made Little Mix the first X Factor WINNER to have TWO US top 10 albums, the second act from the show after 1D, and the second UK girl group after the Spice Girls (many greats such as Bananarama, All Saints, Atomic Kitten, Sugababes, Girls Aloud and The Saturdays have only managed a top 20 album in the US at best if at all).Little Mix is made up of:
- Perrie Edwards (born July 10, 1993) from South Shields, Tyne and Wear.
- Jesy Nelson (born June 14, 1991) from Romford, London.
- Leigh-Anne Pinnock (born October 4, 1991) from High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire.
- Jade Thirwall (born December 26, 1992) from South Shields, Tyne and Wear.
Little Mix provides examples of:
- Adorkable: With her 14 GSCE's, and love of what she describes as "geek chic" fashion, Jade definitely qualifies as this.
- Ambiguously Brown: Jade and Jesy can be considered this. Jesy is speculated to be part Anglo Indian whereas Jade is Egyptian and Yemeni on her mother's side. Neither of these have been confirmed.
- Blonde, Brunette, Redhead: During their time on the show, Perrie, Jade and Leigh-Anne were the original configuration of this. Post-show, Leigh-Anne went back to her natural black while Jesy dyed her hair red, but the latter has since reverted back to her natural brunette.
- Bow Ties Are Cool: Definately Jade. Her ident is of one, and in Wings, she stands in a room full of these.
- Break Up Song: Pretend It's O K, Turn Your Face, Going Nowhere, Case Closed.
- Celebrity Resemblance: Jade looks a lot like fellow Geordie (and Ex-Factor judge) Cheryl Cole.
- Cover Version: Their winners' single was a cover of Damien Rice 's "Cannonball", reworked as a R&B-styled ballad.
- On BBC Radio 1, they did a fantastic cover of Mumford and Sons song I Will wait http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTytQWfcO4M . In this version, they used their voices absolutely brilliantly. The cover even uses a conductor.
- Acapella covers of Beyonce's End Of Time, and Fun.'s we are young. During the Cannonball audit, Jade sings a cappella, but synth beats are introduced after her solo finishes.
- For Sports Relief 2014 they did a very catchy cover of Cameo's "Word Up".
- Curse Cut Short: And if they give you sh from Wings. The Glee cast cover, however, did assume the girls swore, and replaced the Shhh… sound with hell.
- American Idol assumed the same as well, and replaced "sh" with "lip".
- Childhood Friends: Jade has known 2009 winner Joe McElderry since they were kids.
- Double Standard: The DNA video tells some incomprehensible story about a guy they have kidnapped. He appears tied up in Perrie's car, and the video ends with all four of them walking towards him about to do god-knows-what to him. It's pretty clear this is meant to be sexy. Now if a boyband had a music video showing a girl they kidnapped and tied up...I'll say no more.
- Everyone Loves Blondes: Perrie.
- Football Fight Song: "Change Your Life"... ironically enough.
- Four Girl Ensemble: Jade is the sweet-naive one, Jesy is the Deadpan Snarker, Leigh-Anne is the glamorous one, and Perrie is the Wild Card (in every sense of the word- her team mates once called her the baby of the group, because she is the youngest.).
- Gasshole: Perrie.
- Gate Construction: "Littlemixgate", a scandal concerning unauthorised use of their images for spamming and malware purposes.
- Getting Crap Past the Radar: This series of Jesy gifs are very. it includes a reference to onanism! http://jesybitches.tumblr.com/post/71106024840/jesy-nelson-alphabet-naughty
- Hard-Drinking Party Girl: Leigh-Anne and Jade are known for being this.
- Homage: The "DNA" video appears to be one to the Sin City film.
- Intercourse with You: DNA, Lovedrunk, Stereo Soldier.
- Love Is A Drug: Lovedrunk.
- Named After Somebody Famous: Perrie was named after Steve Perry, of Journey.
- Older and Wiser: Prior to finally making it to the live shows with Little Mix, Jade had previously auditioned for the 2008 and 2010 seasons of the show, but only made it as far as the bootcamp stage both times.
- Oop North: Jade and Perrie are both Geordies from the same town.
- Portmanteau Couple Name: Zayn and Perrie are called Zerrie.
- Self Empowerment Anthem: Change Your Life, and Wings in DNA, Little Me and the title track of Salute.
- Singing Voice Dissonance: Perrie's singing voice is much deeper than her speaking voice, particularly when she sang Mumford in November 2012. She than suffered tonsillitis and missed the group's last 3 gigs of 2012, returning with a slightly altered voice in January 2013.
- Spammer: Not them directly, but their image is often used on HTML spam emails for services ranging from 'cheap software' to 'MP3 downloads' to 'missold your PPI?'. Yet their management do nothing about this.
- Spiritual Successor: Because of their Talent Show roots (where they trumped BoyBands at their own game), Little Mix are comparable to Girls Aloud's own origin story. They have also garnered comparisons to the Spice Girls, TLC, and Destinys Child.
- Move, the first single off Salute garnered comparisons to Girls Aloud.
- Nicola Roberts herself co-wrote "Going Nowhere" for DNA, and "See Me Now" and "They Don't Know You" for Salute.
- In addition, the title track of Salute can be considered this for Beyoncé's Run the World, as well as How Ya Doin? for Lady Gaga's Telephone
- Tomboyish Name: Perrie has one.
- True Companions: In "Always Be Together".
- Underdogs Never Lose: At the beginning of their season, everybody assumed that Little Mix would go the way of most girlbands on the show and lose out almost immediately. However, as the season went on, they kept getting better and better, which ultimately led to their increased support and eventual victory.
- Whilst nowhere near One Direction or The Spice Girls in level of success, LM are the only other UK X Factor alumnus and UK girl group respectively to have 2 top 10 albums in the US.
- Who Is This Guy Again?: Unfortunately, Jesy, Jade, and Leigh-Anne can be seen as this given Perrie's high-profile relationship with One Direction's Zayn Malik. Although this is mostly in countries like the US where the girls aren't that well known whereas the boys are enormous.
- Who's Laughing Now?: Jesy used to receive online bullying because she wasn't as skinny as the other girls- now they are jealous of her curves!
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Jade did for over half a year◊, while Perrie's hair was lavender briefly-and suited her better than first claimed!◊. However, at the start of March, the latter turned her hair pink, It than became Blond and Pink a few days later, before returning to its original blond by the end of the month. 3 weeks on from that, it was back to white, and has remained virtually the same. In mid-June, after the girls' record breaking stint in the US, Jade made her hair a dark-caramel-brown like colour. The colours of the girls' hair has not changed noticeably since, but their hair textures and styles often have. Perrie's hair has often changed shade since, however, as has Jesy's and Jade's.
- Video Full Of Film Clips: The official video for "Cannonball" is just a bunch of clips taken from their journey on The X Factor. Change Your Life has one full of tour clips.
- You Don't Look Like You: Their dolls don't look anything like them, with Jade's hair suddenly ''purple'' and Jesy's pink. Leighanne even has a afro, for some reason.