, having gained considerable popularity through the sheer amount of mouth-to-mouth praise which cemented its status as a step-up from Demons Souls
(leaping from Sleeper Hit
to Breakthrough Hit
for From Software
), is also prone to spawning endless amounts of memes
among the fandom. Here is a list detailing them:
- Prepare to Die Explanation
- Dark Souls logic Explanation
- Pretty much anything to do with Solaire and the Warriors of Sunlight really stands out. Jolly Cooperation! Explanation
- "If only I could be so grossly incandescent!" Explanation
- Praise the Sun! Explanation
- Amazing Chest Ahead. Explanation
- The Bonewheel Skeletons, infamous for their deadliness, speed and most of all the overwhelming surprise that comes with encountering them for the first time. Most jokes play as a patch introducing absurd situations involving them such as adding ten or so to a boss fight or placing them in extremely tight spaces (like this◊, for example). This all feeds into...
- The difficulty itself is something of a meme. The game is less about being overtly difficult, and more about requiring a specific, patient mindset.
- Go on Google images. Enter "YOU DIED" as your search query. And some◊ variations◊ of the text◊, as well.
- Modern Nintendo Hard games are often compared to Dark Souls, resulting in the phrase "The Dark Souls of <series or genre>."
- 387, from a video mocking a player doing PVP in the forest, which has no Soul Level restrictions. It's an absurdly high level to PVP with, since the community favors staying in the 100 to 125 range, if not lower.
- While not originating from Dark Souls, "Touch fluffy tail" was readily borrowed from the Monster Girl Quest fandom in association with Priscilla.
- Relatedly, Priscilla's line when you reach her - "This land is peaceful, its inhabitants kind" is infamous for evoking a Flat "What." reaction from players, who had just fought through that "peaceful" land. Case in point.
- The number of nicknames for Smough and Ornstein has become a meme◊, with fans trying to outdo each other in picking more creative and memorable name pairs for the duo.
- "The Legend Never Dies". Explanation
- "DEXTERITY- DON'T TELL ANY1 U LEVELED THAT UP." Explanation
- "Wat rings u got bicht?" crops up an awful lot as well. note
- "POWER UP THE BASS CANNON... FIRE!" Explanation
- "I GOT BACK UP AND PWNED HIM." Explanation
- "Shiva of the East? More like... Shiva the deceased lol!" Explanation
- For those that don't know, here◊'s the basics for a Giantdad.
- Tarkus is better at this game than you. note
- Can't stop the Rock◊. Explanation
- You were indicted. Explanation
- Due to how the Hint System works, you can write stuff that normally wouldn't be appropriate, namely "Need head" and "Try holding with both hands". Case in point.◊
- The tradition continues with the sequel, giving us such classics as "Beware of toxic, but hole." and "Praise the sun, and then Praise the sun!"
- Never alone◊. Explanation
- NOPE. Explanation
- When I'm Gravelord'n. Explanation
- As a crossover meme with Quad City DJs remixes, there's this, with an overabundance of parodied dialogues in the comment section.
- "Neat" and "Nito" puns are on the rise. note
- Gavlan wheel, Gavlan deal. Explanation
- With Gavlan, you wheel? You deal...
- I NEED GRAVITY. Explanation