Fanfic Recs / Dark Souls
Proof that the remaining 10% is worth dying repeatedly for
These are recommendations made by Tropers
for Fan Fics
, all of which have been signed. After a few samples, you will be able to judge whether you might be interested in the 'fic, based on who recommended it. No-name recommendations will be zapped.
No one would back up the rec. Discussion of the recommendation is welcome on the discussion page. As such discussion is important, do remember to add the discussion page to the watchlist, if need be. Feel free to leave a review of any recommendations using the reviews section, if you do wish to leave a review please do make it substantive.
Authors and Sites
Best Workout Ever
- Recommended by Feranard Coldheart, Ninjat 126
- Synopsis: What happens when a Dark Souls player gets warped into Dark Souls? Really, really bad things.
- Comments: Yes, it's a self-insert fic. But the author tells it pretty realistically by giving his Author Avatar realistic reactions to the events in the game. On top of that, he adds some very funny moments without taking away from the seriousness of the Dark Souls world.
- Seconded. Author Avatar isn't a Mary Sue without being useless, good humour while maintaining tension, characters have been portrayed well so far, and the author does a great job of giving a depiction of Lordran as if it was a real, living world, not a location in a video game. Even game mechanics are translated! The only problem: The author takes so long to update...
by The Extreme Piercing
Lady of Cinder and Fire
- Recommended by Thagomizer, Ninjat 126, demonwarlord
- Synopsis: More than once, Quelana wondered whether Nemeta was a trick played upon her by the Flames of Chaos, a beguiling, infuriating illusion that would lure her to oblivion.
- Comments: An excellent fic. Has some incredible world-building and twists on canon which all make perfect sense to the point of being Fridge Logic, some truly hilarious moments, and ending that is absolutely breathtaking. It's not without issues, namely in one severe out of character moment by the protagonist in order to drive the plot, but that should not dissuade you from reading this work.
- Seconded. Expands on the lore in ways that make sense, brilliantly keeps up characterisation on most of the cast (although there are some slips here and there) and really lets you get into the heads of our main duo, Ms. Of Izalith and our fearless Chosen Undead, Nemata.
- Recommended by Wild Card Courier
- Synopsis: An unfortunate Undead. Long forgotten lore of the past. An ancient land, hidden and filled with Hollows and worse. Accompany Claire OC , a Pyromancer from the Great Swamps on her journey to the cinder of the first flame.
- Comments: The story actually starts before the Chosen Undead even arrives at the Asylum, which is interesting. The plot follows a kindhearted and inexperienced pyromancer trying to survive the events of the game. There are some minor discrepancies, like food helping the Undead slow the hollowing process and the OC meeting Solaire before facing the Taurus Demon, but it makes for a better read than one would think.
by Queen Sydon
Poka Poka Dark Souls Life
- Recommended by Dead Brain, Ninjat 126
- Synopsis: Seek Guidance; Hurl Lightning Spear. Everything starts to make sense. Praise the motherf &*ing sun.
- Comments: Probably one of the best parodies I've ever seen. It keeps up with the game's pacing and lore, while poking fun of every aspect there is. It also has Solaire doing a suplex on Maneater Mildred. WHAT ELSE WOULD YOU WANT?.
- At first, I was skeptical. Sure, a few good lines, but didn't seem like the author could keep the momentum. Then, along comes everyone's favourite Sunbro, the best Chosen Undead ever, and the abovementioned suplex. Give it a chance, it's worth the read.
- Now with a TvTropes page!.
by Jam Session (Circle) & Miyasumi
- Recommended by MrTerrorist
- Synopsis: A hilarious doujin where the author tells his adventures when playing Dark Souls.
- Comments: This doujin will make you laugh and as many will know and understand the various moments in the game the author encountered.
by Serizawa Enono
- Recommended by MrTerrorist
- Synopsis: The cute antics of Priscilla the Crossbreed.
- Comments: A cute and funny slice of life doujin about Priscilla the Crossbreed and her Dark is Not Evil minions. It finally lends some context and credence to Priscilla's dubious claim that "This land is peaceful, its inhabitants kind". You too will mourn the lack of a Priscilla-tan covenant...
- Recommended by AlienofDoom
- Synopsis: A pair of undead come across the same bonfire.
- Comments: A nice look into how the world of Lordran really functions for those who have to live there.
by Ser R Enity
Why can't I just take the ring after I fight Artorias?
- Recommended by demonwarlord
- Synopsis: "His heart clicked the seconds away. There had been a time when he had lived and breathed; now all he did was fight and kill, kill and fight." A story told from the viewpoint of Ornstein the Dragonslayer relating his thoughts during/about his eternal vigil in Anor Londo until his death.
- Recommended by rexis12, Dead Brain
- Synopsis:Questioning only briefly why he's there anyway, a human from the real world ignores the rules of the game and drags Oscar of Astora on a grand adventure to discover the truth of the conflict between Light and Dark. But more importantly to impress his waifu.
- Comments:This fic is when you take For Want of Nail and just keep hammering it down. Every little edit the MC makes just pushes Dark Souls even further into Holy Shit levels, one example Oscar survives and shit just goes awry from there. It's a very cheeky fic that does pretty well to incorporate how dark and unpredictable Dark Souls is, with the usual enthusiasm of a 'Self-Insert' trying to make things better, while at the same time is making it worse. While not exactly the best written as some scenes come of a awkward sometimes, some scenes where they show just how much change is happening due to the MC involvement is very unique and interesting.
by Leider Hosen
A New Age
- Recommended by Xorn 15
- Synopsis: "As the legends foretell, the end of the Age of Fire draws near, and it is the duty of the Ashen One to serve as a vessel for souls, traversing the deadly lands of Lothric and returning the Lords of Cinder to their thrones. This is not that story. [AU]"
- Comments: What would have happened if the Ashen One never arose to seek the Lords? This story takes the route of showing the conflict between the remaining defenders of Lothric and the forces of Aldrich and Sulyvan as the Deep Lord makes his move to usher in his Age of the Deep. Features very good characterization and well written fights (prime example being the Aldrich and Ludleth fight in Chapter 5)
by Fanfics by Ve
- Recommended by Hello 101
- Synopsis: A small drabble based on Dark Souls III, going by the "Usurp The Fire" ending.
- Comments: A small one-shot post Dark Souls 3, assuming that the Usurp the Fire ending was the Earn Your Half Full Ending for the Dark Souls universe by "transferring" the First Flame into every human in the world, ensuring that humanity itself would keep the threats of the Abyss and the fire fading more at bay as long as they existed. More positive than the normal series, but it also makes clear that the world is far from perfect, but there's hope for the future beyond the Fire fading away for good and the imminent death of all that is. Has a minor Ashen One/Fire Keeper romance. There are also several other fics by the author in the same or similar universes which are similar in tone.
" by vendetta543
- Recommended by Roaring Thunder, Dead Brain, demonwarlord
- Crossover With: The Familiar of Zero
- Synopsis: A certain pink haired mage summons the Chosen Undead.
- Comments: I went into this fanfic thinking it's going to be...less than good. After all crossing over an anime with a game like Dark Souls doesn't seem like an idea I'd even consider. However - this proved me wrong as this is a very well-written piece. Not only does it keep up with the lore of both sources, it also gives some great characterization to most characters. Definitely worth a read, though you must consider the fact of some one the ideas being made-up by the author. If that doesn't bother you - go right in, you won't regret it.