One day, without warning, a huge hole appeared in the world
And from it, emerged many demons
And then this happened, and then some other stuff happened, then this other crap
Huh? What's with this? Who even cares? It's not important.Man I'm hungry...Maybe I'll try some triple veggie garlic ramen later; haven't had that in a while.
"I'll treat you, I'll treat you, so please do the narration!
begins after the world is thrown into chaos by the arrival of numerous demons, prompting the king to send the descendants of the great hero Creasion, who a thousand years ago sealed away the Demon King Rchimedes, to defeat them... All 75 current possible descendants, that is.
But the hero we follow is Alba, who on this great and perilous journey will seek to slay the Demon King, risk his life to save...the Demon King...and wind up being thrown in prison for a number of episodes for a completely unrelated reason
Also, he has a bad habit of magnetically drawing towards him all the weird people
that exist within a 10 mile radius from him.
A unique form of gag-based manga (and its continuations) by Haruhara Robinson, watchable on Nico Nico
Seiga and later serialized under Shueisha's Jump SQ
has been adapted for the Winter 2013 Anime
season, with 13 five-minute episodes planned, as well as a second season of the same size for July 2013
This show provides examples of:
- Accidental Pervert: What lands Alba in jail after the Demon King presses charges...for a greater amount of episodes than out of it (after he winds up in jail again for harboring the Demon King at his side once she drops the charges). Hey, drawing that prison outfit is easier on the animation budget than his armor ever was!
- Adapted Out: September Neun and August Acht never make their appearances in the anime, since (in Neun's case, at least in chapter 1) they are only minor.
- All Your Powers Combined: Elf November. He can copy others' powers by changing into them wholly, or just one appendage.
- Amusing Injuries: Broken ribs, injured larynx, heavy beatings from an overblown Tsundere, being dramatically sliced through by the second of the 12 Chosen Ones...ain't nothing for the likes of Alba and Co.! Although unlike many series, the injuries stick (more or less), leading to Alba complaining about his broken ribs several episodes after he initially broke them.
- Aristocrats Are Evil: The King seeks to unleash the Demon King just for the glory of having him sealed again. Unfortunately since most people don't know about his actions, Alba gets sent to prison for thirty years for punching him.
- Art Shift: Goes from the normal style to hyper-masculine old school shounen style to blob world style to normal again without wasting a single beat in some episodes.
- Aww, Look! They Really Do Love Each Other: Ros might sadistically torment Alba, but the two do care about each other as shown when Ros is sad that Alba isn't around, shocked when he temporarily got killed, and gives him helpful advice mixed in with his insults, while Alba will try to help unseal the demon king in order to let Ros be free.
- Also, when Ros gives Alba the dagger as a gift.
Ros: It's not like I bought it for your sake or anything.
- Badass Grandpa: Rudolf, who gets up after being stabbed in the stomach to (initially) beat down Foyfoy, and, in the anime, manages to somehow survive an assassination ordered by the king. (In the original webmanga, this is only because August was too kind-hearted to kill him.)
- Badass Normal: Foyfoy turns out to be an actually good fighter if you give him the time to let him call his attacks.
- Baleful Polymorph: Samejima's Manly Energy Beam temporarily changes the target into a hyper-masculine version of themselves.
- Believing Their Own Lies: Ares was lying about being one of the Hero's Creasion's descendants when journeying with Hime, only to be completely shocked when it turns out that Creasion doesn't have any kids.
- BFS: The most badass man gets the most badass sword. (It's Ros.)
- Blatant Lies: Episodes 13 ending narration.
Narrator: And thus the world was saved. Thank you, Hero Alba! We will never forget you!
Alba: The world's not saved!
- Blob Monster: The story opens up with Alba defeating a slime monster. Immediately followed by Ros asking if he's a pervert with a slime fetish.
- Brainwashed and Crazy: Janua is brainwashed to follow Februar's command.
- Calling Your Attacks: Foy Foy and Dezember Zwölf both shout their attacks Grausame Klinge and Dunkelheit, which is more than once interrupted.
- Cardboard Prison: Janua apparently could have busted himself out at any time...but he still hangs around in prison, because that's where the "plot" is.
- Casting a Shadow: Dezember.
- Cerebus Syndrome: It already happens slightly during the anime, however, the webmanga is hit with this in chapter 2 when Foyfoy's and Creasion's backstories are revealed - luckily without sacrificing its level of comedy.
- Combat Tentacles: Zwei uses them.
- The Chew Toy: Alba. Both for everyone around him, as well as the universe in general as he tends to get sucked into things that makes his life suck just when it starts to hit an upswing.
- Creepy Good: Ros has sadistic tendencies, but he is unmistakably one of the good guys.
- Curb-Stomp Battle: Happens quite a lot. Most happen offscreen. Some examples:
- Ros defeats Dezember and Juli easily when he activates his magic power, leaving Dezember shocked at his power.
- The 2nd Rchimedes easily taking on Dezember and Noin at the same time. Until Elf comes to their aid, then he's the one who's at the receiving end.
- Dark and Troubled Past: Ros/Creasion/Sion's past makes you want to give him a hug, even if you get punched for it.
- Deadpan Snarker: When he's not trolling Alba or anyone else he feels like, Ros fits this to a T, although Alba often gets in on it as well to keep some measure of sanity in the skits.
Rchi-chan: This guy's supposed to be a hero, but he's just spent all his time snarking...
- Death from Above: Juli tries this on Ros and company
- Devil in Plain Sight: Ros probably rivals Okita Sougo in the Prince of the Planet of Sadists department, up to his incredible casualness towards his messing with anyone he feels like. People rarely acknowledge it, although Alba's acutely aware of it.
Janua (a demon): What is he, a demon?
- The Dragon: Juli Sieben to Dezember Zolf. Literally as well since he can turn himself into a dragon. Later, Dezember himself to the 1st Rchimedes.
- Drama-Preserving Handicap: Ros can't use his full magical power or else Rchimendes will be freed.
- Drop the Hammer: The Hero (actually chief maid) Ares.
- The End of the World as We Know It: In chapter 4, a meteor shower threatens the planet.
- Even the Guys Want Him: Even the Narrator is falling for Samejima.
- Evil Duo: Februar and Zwei are actually two demons that come as a pair.
- Evil Old Folks: Februar is one though she looks like a little girl, but has all the problems some elderly people have including back pain and dentures.
- Exactly What It Says on the Tin: Hime is the King's daughter.
- Exotic Eye Designs: Dezember has dice for irises. Neun has a star in his left eye, and the sealed Demon King has Creepy Crosses.
- Face Framed in Shadow: The leader of the 12 Chosen Ones, Dezember Zwolf.
- Baffles Michel when this holds true even when Dezember is in broad daylight. Then he puts on shadow like it's a mask.
- Famed In-Story: Alba became a really popular hero by the time of the third arc.
- Fashion-Victim Villain: In-universe; Rchi-chan considers her grandfather's choices of clothes as this.
- Foreshadowing: "Even if I save the whole world I'll never be forgiven!" *
- Funny Animal: Miichan. Later, Hasegawara-kun.
- Fusion Dance: Janua and Samejima does this and became Janujima so they can take on Guilty Justice head to head.
- The Gadfly: Ros, who spends about 75% of his energy screwing around with Alba and other dudes because it amuses him. The other 25% is spent hanging around snarking or not doing anything at all because he doesn't feel like it's worth the effort.
- Gender-Blender Name: Ares is a girl.
- Get a Hold of Yourself Man: Samejima teleports into the dimensional rift solely to punch some sense into Janua and free him from Zwei's control.
- Glory Seeker: The King decided to revive the first Rchimedes just so he can have him sealed again and gain the fame and glory.
- Glowing Eyes of Doom: The left of Janua's mismatched eyes glows creepily when controlled.
- Go-Karting with Bowser: Janua, Ros, Rchi-chan, and Miichan, in the midst of fighting and arguing, spontaneously start playing dodgeball. Alba attempts to bring attention to this, to no avail.
- Grand Theft Me: Rchimedes the 1st's body is actually the body of Crea, Ross' best friend.
- Gratuitous German: Quite a lot. A bunch of demons were named after the german months and the respective number: Janua Ein (who is also frequently misspelt - the correct spelling would be Januar Eins, which means January One), Februar Zwei (February Two), April Vier (April Four), Mai Fünf (May Five), Juni Sechs (June Six), Juli Sieben (July Seven), August Acht (August Eight), September Neun (September Nine), Zehn (Ten, his first name hasn't been confirmed yet but it's most likely Oktober), November Elf (November Eleven) and Dezember Zwölf (December Twelve).
- Alba's second name, Frühling, means Spring
- Foyfoy as well as Dezember Zwölf both have german attack names: "Grausame Klinge" means cruel blade, and "Dunkelheit" means Darkness.
- The Guards Must Be Crazy: Inverted; completely sane guards sometimes interact with the mind-bogglingly irrational heroes. See Insane Troll Logic below.
- Half the Man He Used to Be: Alba, after being cut in half by Dezember.
- Hero Academy: Built during the Time Skip between second and third arc. The main characters of the third arc are the students.
- Heroic Comedic Sociopath: Mostly Ros, who has a tendency to be an unhelpful sidekick to the hero, to the point that his actions are what lead Alba to get in trouble. He also has no problem at the thought of daydreaming about Alba being hunted as a fugitive.
- Ares apparently finds it hilarious that Februar unleashed her Combat Tentacles right through Hime's visor and likely, face, causing Hime and her armor to fall over supposedly dead. She gets up again, but still. She stabs Foyfoy and frames Alba in season 2 in a improvised plot to enter the city Turtle.
- Heel-Face Turn: Februar pulls one. Doesn't help much though.
- Heroes Prefer Swords: Alba, though he's disarmed before it gets much use. Later he Took a Level in Badass and showed how proficient he is. Hilariously lampshaded when Ros tells Alba that because of his high speed, Alba is more suited to wield a dagger instead of a sword - after Alba became much stronger with the sword.
- Horrifying the Horror: Ros is powerful enough that he scares the Demon King Rchimedes and has made him his Butt Monkey.
- How Do You Like Them Apples?: Apples appear prominently in Ross' backstory.
- Hyper Competent Sidekick: Ros has the full potential for this, however, he often isn't in the mood for it.
- I Didn't Mean To Turn You On: Miichan the masochist really "enjoys" being kicked by Rchi-chan, getting insulted by Ross, and pretty much anything that involves inflicting him pain, be it emotional or physical.
- Ill Girl: Foyfoy's little sister Marl has been terminally ill and in a coma for years.
- Insane Troll Logic: All over the place. An especially wacko example is when Elf disguises himself as Alba and himself—Alba on the right half of his face, Elf on the left—because he thought this would trick the guard into thinking neither of them had escaped prison. The guard doesn't fall for it.
- In-Series Nickname: Demon King Rchimedes' young successor Demon King Rchimedes, called Rchi-chan by Alba, Rchi by Ros, and...Rchi-tan...by Rudolf, etc.
- Mii-chan's real name is Michelajul Lortelia. Probably says something about Janua's (or possibly his) naming sense.
- Japanese Delinquents: The demon Samejima dresses like one.
- Jerkass: Ros. An out-and-out sadist, the dude seems to more than relish the thought of purposefully setting up Alba's downfall, and doesn't try to hide it, either. He'll willingly screw around with every other easily-riled person around too, if the opportunity presents itself.
- Killed Mid-Sentence: Hime. Or seemingly, as she gets back right up.
- Knight of Cerebus: Dezember is this at the beginning, however, in chapter 3, even he becomes less serious.
- The Knights Who Say Squee: Dezember, towards anything that have to do with the 1st Rchimedes.
- Latex Perfection: Not quite as Elf's eyes are still clearly grey, and his voice is still vaguely recognizable, but his general proportions do change when he puts on his disguise.
- Lazy Bum: Teufel Diabolos, the head butler in the Kings Castle is one. He'll try to do as little as possible to the point the King wonders how he became the head butler.
- Lemony Narrator: The narrator gets increasingly bored and fed up with having to narrate the introduction sequence at the beginning of each episode, as showcased in the synopsis (taken word-for-word from his episode 12 narration).
- Literal Split Personality: Dezember Zwolf has six personalities that can be identified with the number of his dice-eyes. We've only seen No.1 and No.5, however.
- Lolicon: Rudolf, which grosses Alba out with his fawning over young Rchimedes more than once.
- Luminescent Blush: Right through a suit of armor!
- Magic Knight: Ros, who's initially shown only as a competent warrior, only to later subtly reveal that he is adept at healing (and in episode 13, combat) magic as well, which comes in handy in several crucial situations (situations that don't involve Alba's broken ribs, unfortunately).
- Mama Bear: Cecily takes this to a spiritual level, beating up anyone who even slightly endangers her kids.
- Manchild: Janua, the ninja demon with the strength to destroy 4 Tokyo Domes and an apparent magical power level of 530,000 introduces himself thus:
Janua: Arm Clone Jutsu!! *spins arm really fast*
Alba: ARE YOU AN ELEMENTARY SCHOOL KID OR SOMETHING!?
- Master of Disguise: Elf's power. If he has seen the person close up, that is.
- Meaningful Name: Hime because she's a princess.
- Meaningful Rename: The hero Creasion. Twice.
- His real name is Shion. After his best friend Crea was killed by the first Rchimedes, he renamed himself Creasion.
- He took on the name Ross when hiding his identity in the present. Ross is the name Crea suggested if he would be known as a world-explorer.
- Mini-Mecha: Hime is riding one in the shape of a knight.
- Mood Whiplash: There's a lot of this once the Cerebus Syndrome kicks in.
- Mr. Exposition: Foyfoy kindly takes it upon himself to explain to Alba how they'd all been had by the King and the demons on his side, who seek to bring back the originally sealed Demon King, Rchi-chan's grandfather (she herself is manipulated as well; see below) in a really cool manner. Then he tries to stand on numb legs and smashes his hardheaded face on the floor with his butt up in the air while doing so.
- Alba's Mom in the epilogue of 2nd arc. She basically explains everything that happens at the ending, even things she should have no way to know. Alba doesn't hesitate to chime in.
Alba: "MOTHER, WHY ARE YOU SO WELL-INFORMED!?"
- My Significance Sense Is Tingling: Alba can sense when someone needs his aid.
- Naked People Are Funny: Janua when he first pops up on earth.
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero: Rchi-chan unleashed demons upon the earth while trying to make popcorn.
- Ninja Maid: Alles is the chief maid of the castle, although we never see her doing anything maid-ish.
- No Budget: Parodied often. One episode skips the intro due to lack of budget, even though this increases the cost.
- Nonindicative Title: Nisepanda◊, who is not a panda. This one's extra-confusing because "nisepanda" means "fake panda" or "pseudo-panda," but it looks like a horrible rendition of a giraffe.
- Non-Standard Character Design: Alba's mom is a woman-shaped emoticon.
- No Respect Guy: Alba, until the end of chapter 2.
- No Sense of Humor: Dezember, who he gets frustrated when people are joking around.
- No Shirt, Long Jacket: Samejima, which shows off his abs.
- Older Than They Look: Rchi, and indeed most demons, and The Hero Creasion.
- One Extra Member: The Four Great Demon Lords are Guilty Justice, Elf November, and Dezember Zwolf. All three of them.
- Only Friend: Miichan in Janua's heartwarming story.
- Only Sane Man / Straight Man: Without Alba's precious vocal cords (oft made to shriek like a harpy at the madness that has a tendency to erupt about him), this show would be in ruins. Also Ros wouldn't be able to watch Alba get hunted down as a fugitive for harboring the Demon King at his side. Lym would fill this role in the third arc.
- Our Hero Is Dead: Alba gets bifurcated.
- Out-of-Character Moment: Rchi-chan spends an entire episode cycling through this, to humorous effect.
- Only in It for the Money: Foyfoy tries to kill the Token Mini-Moe Demon King for it.
- The Only One Allowed to Defeat You: ...Only to fail, and come back with something like this in mind against Ros several episodes later. Until he becomes alienated by the ongoing, several-episodes-long scenario that he'd been outside of.
- Paper-Thin Disguise: Elf is first seen approaching Alba earing an outfit that barely resembles Foyfoy. Then he dresses like a Centaur.
- Parental Neglect: The King doesn't even notice his daughter missing for two weeks.
- Shion's father, after he went crazy.
- People Puppets: Noin September's power, "Marionette".
- Pet the Dog: Ross has a few moments with Alba, most notably when he hands him the dagger he stabbed him with as a gift.
- The Pirates Who Don't Do Anything: These heroes sure are spending a lot of time being ridiculous in jail... There's even an episode or two dedicated to the main trio (and Janua) doing nothing at all in said jail. Alba gets better at heroism in the 2nd arc, though.
- Portal Door: Rchi-chan can create these. But it's not designed for humans, so every time Alba goes through a portal, it breaks one of his ribs. Her father, the 2nd Rchimedes, can also use these, and implements them in his fighting style, PortalCuts included.
- Psychotic Smirk: It's part of Ros's very heroic forte (pages 31 - 34).
- Reality Warper: Ros, a.k.a. "Creasion," who describes his powers as "anything I want." He demonstrates this by killing Dezember (after turning his hair into an afro), summoning Rchimedes, inflicting pain on Rchimedes, and sealing him away, all in a matter of seconds without expending any effort.
- Really 700 Years Old: Frebruar Zwei. Her dentures even fly out of her mouth. And she has back problems. Subverted with young Rchimedes, who's 100 years old but psychologically only 10, and only took up the role of Demon King recently.
- Sadist: Ross.
Ross: I like seeing people wheep in despair.
- Sealed Evil in a Can: The first Rchimedes is this. The King and several of the Twelve Chosen Ones are trying to release him.
- Soul Power: Teufel Diabolos can manipulate souls, such as swapping bodies or removing them.
- Razor Floss: Neun.
- Readings Are Off the Scale: Rchi-chan when reading Samejima's magic power, but only because she hasn't learned how to multiply numbers yet.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: Utilized by Ros and true for a number of demons, including Februar and Dezember. Averted for Janua (unless brainwashed and crazy).
- The Reveal: Ross is in fact the hero Creasion.
- Rchimedes is Ross' father, who hijacked Ross' best friend's Crea body.
- Lake and his mother are actually, Rchimedes' son and wife, transported 1000 years to the future, and are Ross' brother and mother.
- Royals Who Actually Do Something: Hime-chan who is, in fact, a princess.
- Running Gag: Alba constantly getting sent back to prison for crimes he unintentionally committed or framed for. Also, cracked ribs.
- Shapeshifter Baggage: Elf November doesn't seem to have any problems changing sizes at all.
- Single Line of Descent: Subverted, both for laughs and as a major plot element; after 1000 years, it's really hard to say who the true descendant is. And then subverted again when it turns out the hero never had any children and therefore has no line of descent at all.
- Slapstick Knows No Gender: Gender doesn't stop Ares from being accidentally beaten up by the violently tsundere Hime-chan after she spills about her "secret" crush on Foyfoy.
- Skewed Priorities: Alba feels that Ros should prioritize healing Alba's broken ribs above healing his vocal cords. Ros feels differently.
- Some Kind of Force Field: One surrounds Demon King Rchimedes in the dimensional rift and hurts anyone who comes in contact with it.
- Spell My Name with an "S": Spelling is unclear for a lot of names, especially Ros/Ross and Ares/Alles. Furthermore, the demon's names are often misspelt (The actual german spellings are Januar Eins, Februar Zwei, April Vier, Mai Fünf, Juni Sechs, Juli Sieben, August Acht, September Neun, Oktober Zehn, November Elf and Dezember Zwölf).
- The Southpaw: Alba
- Stepford Smiler: Elf November is hinted to be one, though it isn't quite clear yet.
- Stopped Caring: Alba at the beginning of season 2. He's started caring again by the next episode.
- Talking Animal: Miichan after being affected by Janua's power. He also became a masochist.
- Talk to the Fist: When Dezember is getting mad over Alba interfering and saving Ros, Ares runs into Dezember with Hime's transformed armor.
- Dezember does this when everyone is joking around and when Zwei and Februar are too busy talking instead of attacking him.
- Teleporters and Transporters: Janua can use teleportation magic.
- Testosterone Poisoning: Samejima explains that a real man can come to a friend's aid no matter where they are and can punch the brainwashing out of them. He then starts doing this to explain other illogical things that can be done by a real man like making one look taller than they appear and making everyone save Alba believe it makes sense.
- Temporal Theme Naming: The 12 Chosen Ones, each named after a german month (and frequently misspelled).
- Time Master: Ros can use time magic.
- Time Skip: About one year between each of the first three chapters, and 1000 years in chapter 4.
- Token Good Teammate: Janua is the only one of the Twelve Demons who is unambiguously good.
- Took a Level in Badass: Alba in the first arc serves as nothing but the Straight Man. In the second arc, he easily dispatched both Juli and Noin with nothing but a sword. And that's before he got both Creasion and Rchimedes' mana.
- Transformation Ray: Samejima's Manly Energy Beam.
- Tsundere: Hime-chan, if that's what they're calling it these days...
- Parodied by Ross after he stabbed Alba, even though the rest of the time, he plays it straight.
- Villainous BSOD: Janua when under Zwei's control has one at the beginning of season two since everyone calls his jutsu's magic.
- Voluntary Shapeshifting: Juli can change any part of his body into that of a dragon. November can be anything.
- Void Between the Worlds: The Dimensional Rift, where time flows in a chaotic manner, and where The first Rchimedes is sealed.
- Wanted Poster: Alba gets a very nice one once the King finds out that he's "on the side of" the Demon King. More specifically, he's "WANTED DEAD OR ALIVE | REWARD: 50,000,000-"
- Weaksauce Weakness: When Alba arrives he's the only one who can point out that what Samejima says doesn't make sense, causing Samejima to have a Heroic BSOD. He overcame this later.
Samejima: My way of life...doesn't need any reason!
- Weirdness Magnet: Alba.
- Widget Series
- Wild Card: Elf November falls somewhere between Manipulative Bastard and It Amused Me, on the one hand he helps Alba reunite with Ares and co. even staying in jail for his sake. On the other hand he's a big fan of Break Them by Talking and Is the Big Bad in Chapter 3.
- To make things more complicated, he now is the new protagonist.
- Wham Episode: Episode 23 ends with Alba being bisected by Dezember.
- What Happened to the Mouse?: It's never shown what happens to Nisepanda in the anime. He's slain by Ross in chapter 2 of the manga.
- August was brought along as support by April. After April is defeated, August is nowhere to be seen.
- What Kind of Lame Power Is Heart, Anyway?: Many demons in the demon world. Some powers are "magic to take out egg yolks without breaking the egg" or "magic to make toasts delicious". One particular named example is Juni Sechs, whose power is basically "speaking really loud".
- Who Is This Guy Again?: Although he's a main character, unlike everyone else, Ros's name and job (as Alba's accompanying "Royal Guard") is practically never brought up again after his introduction card. Alba even calls him "Royal Guard" once or twice, not by his name. The webmanga doesn't exactly make this easier by having him be double re-named.
- Who Names Their Kid Foyfoy?: Brought up constantly and mercilessly by the main cast at Foyfoy's introduction, poor man.
- With Friends Like These...: Even if Ros and Alba have some moments, most of the time Ros just trolls or punches Alba, even going to the point where he stabs him for no particular reason.
- Year Outside, Hour Inside: Time flows faster in the dimensional rift.
- Younger Than They Look: Lym, Rchi's little sister is only 8 months old.
- Zero-Effort Boss: Elf ends up defeating himself when he first appeared.