Gee, I wonder who the 7th Princess could be? Kilala Princess
is a Shōjo (Demographic)
Manga licensed by Disney
and serialized by Tokyo Pop
The basic plot is like Kingdom Hearts
for girls. A young girl, Kilala, has always dreamed of being like the Disney Princesses
. When she meets Prince Rei, who's looking for the Seventh Princess to save his kingdom, Kilala resolves to help him. To do this, she travels to the lands of the Disney Princesses and works to save their lands from evil.
This manga contains examples of:
- Artificial Human / Ridiculously Human Robot: Valdou.
- Art Shift: The Disney Princesses are draw closer to the Disney style, while Kilala and her friends are drawn in a regular manga style. Sometimes the change can be a bit jarring.
- Attractive Bent Gender: In the "Cinderella" world, Kilala asks the fairy godmother to temporarily turn her into a boy so she can get into the ball. She makes a pretty cute one, too.
- Ascended Fangirl: Kilala.
- Big Bad: Valdou.
- Bishōnen: Prince Rei, and Valdou.
- The Chosen One: The Seventh Princess, aka Kilala.
- Clingy Jealous Girl: Sylphy.
- Dangerously Genre Savvy: The non-Disney villains are this, attempting to shoot Erica while she's still under mind control, and successfully shooting Kilala as she reunites with Rei.
- Darker and Edgier: The last volume of the manga is noticeably darker than the rest of the series.
- The manga itself may count, with depictions of blood when most Disney movies have Bloodless Carnage.
- Deconstructed Trope: Being a princess isn't as easy as it looks; Kilala learns different things from each of them. In the final volume she struggles with the responsibilities of running a country, but decides she will be a princess in her own, unique way, while keeping the lessons they taught.
- Disney Death: Kilala and oddly enough, some of the Disney villains are subject to this (for example, Ursula gets caught in a blinding flash of light, but is shown moments later to have been just knocked out cold.)
- Distracted by the Sexy: Kilala and Sylphy use the trope to wow Gaston.
- Dude, He's Like, In A Coma! The first chapter, where Kilala kisses Rei while he's asleep.
- Earn Your Happy Ending
- Everything's Better with Princesses: Let's see...six Disney Princesses, the mysterious seventh, and Sylphy is a princess as well.
- Face Heel Turn/Heel Face Turn: Sylphy.
- Fantastic Racism: Valdou and the rest of the Ridiculously Human Robots hate humans, considering themselves to be superior.
- Genki Girl: Kilala.
- Gotta Catch 'Em All: The seven gems for the tiara.
- Half the Man He Used to Be: Valdou is sliced in half at the end.
- Hannibal Lecture: Ursula and Maleficent do this, as well as Valdou.
- Heavy Sleeper: Rei is sleeping when Kilala first finds him. Out of curiosity, she kisses him and he wakes up... only to fall asleep again two seconds later.
- Heel Face Revolving Door: Sylphy.
- Heroic Sacrifice: Snow White tells the Queen that she will eat the apple to save Kilala.
- Hoist by His Own Petard: How the Queen goes out.
- James Bondage: Rei is captured and knocked out quite a bit.
- No Export for You: First, Tokyopop cut the volumes in half, so Japan's Volume 1 is America's Volumes 1 and 2. Then they stopped releasing them after the American Volume 4. There are 5 Japanese volumes.
- Magic Land: Paradiso is a subversion, as it's being torn apart by revolutionaries.
- Magical Girl: Kilala.
- Ms. Fanservice: Sylphy.
- Parental Abandonment: Kilala's mother and father are in a magical world called "Paradiso." Finding them is part of Kilala's motivation.
- Pimped-Out Dress
- Recycled IN SPACE: Kingdom Hearts for GIRLS!
- Red Herring: Erica in regards to being the princess Rei is looking for.
- Ridiculously Cute Critter: Tippe the pink mouse thing.
- Ridiculously Human Robots: The non-Disney villains and Valdou.
- The Rival: Sylphy.
- Romantic Two-Girl Friendship: Between Kilala and Erica, a bit.
- Shadow Discretion Shot: The Wicked Queen turning into a vulture.
- Shōjo (Demographic)
- Sugar Bowl: The Princess worlds.
- Teleport Spam: The Wicked Queen does this.
- Tender Tears: Kilala sheds these.
- The Mole: Valdou and Sylphy.
- The Power of Friendship
- The Power of Love
- The Rival: Sylphy.
- The Un Twist: Kilala is the princess Rei is looking for. Really, if you know anything about shoujo manga, it should be obvious.
- What Happened to the Mouse?: Erica disappears from the story shortly after Ariel's world, though she does cameo in the last volume at Kilala and Rei's wedding.
- Why Don't You Just Shoot Him?: Averted; Valdou shoots Kilala as she's about to reunite with Rei. Thanks to the Tiara's magic, and falling into Cinderella's world, she lives.
- They also try to shoot a mind-controlled Erica.