Sexual Harassment and Rape Tropes
aka: Rape And Sexual Harassment Tropes
"Man’s discovery that his genitalia could serve as a weapon to generate fear must rank as one of the most important discoveries of prehistoric times, along with the use of fire, and the first crude stone axe."
—Susan Brownmiller, Against Our Will: Men, Women, and Rape
Rape is one of the more difficult subjects to handle in a work of fiction, not least because (unlike, say, a gruesome and violent murder) there is a higher chance that one of the work's readers has experienced this crime first-hand. For the most part, the tropes that have been collected here describe less sensitive and sometimes downright backwards
depictions of rape.
For obvious reasons
, many of these tropes are considered crossing the Moral Event Horizon
. Though it's sometimes used as a cheap way to make the heroes look better in comparison even if they don't fit any definition of "Hero".
Contrast Flirting And Courtship
(trying to get it on with someone properly
- Aliens Made Them Do It
- All Abusers Are Male
- All Men Are Rapists
- Anal Probing
- And Now You Must Marry Me
- Aren't You Going to Ravish Me?
- Attempted Rape
- Bastard Boyfriend/Bastard Girlfriend - extreme examples of these tropes can end up as outright rapists.
- Bathe Her and Bring Her to Me
- Bed Trick - because if someone is deceived into having sex, the sex is nonconsensual.
- Black Comedy Rape
- But Liquor Is Quicker - see Date Rape below.
- Casting Couch
- Chained to a Bed - Can be a part of it, if it's being played seriously.
- Chastity Dagger
- Child by Rape
- Date Rape
- Date Rape Averted
- Defiled Forever
- Double Standard: Rape, Divine on Mortal
- Double Standard: Rape, Female on Female
- Double Standard: Rape, Female on Male
- Double Standard: Rape, Male on Male
- Double Standard: Rape, Sci-Fi
- Droit du Seigneur
- Dude, She's Like, in a Coma!
- Ephebophile: Likely, though not guaranteed, to overlap with this (and will be statutory rape at best).
- False Rape Accusation
- Fate Worse Than Death
- Gratuitous Rape
- Honor-Related Abuse
- Horny Devils: Human-demon sexual encounters are not always rape, but many times they are.
- I Have You Now, My Pretty
- I'm a Man, I Can't Help It
- Incest Is Relative: Most cases (Parental Incest below is always rape, and siblings or nephews/nieces/direct cousins are almost always rape unless the relatives are equals in age and maturity and status)
- Karmic Rape
- Love Potion
- Marital Rape License
- Mate or Die
- Medical Rape and Impregnate
- Memetic Molester
- Mind Rape
- Murderers Are Rapists
- Near-Rape Experience
- "Not If They Enjoyed It" Rationalization
- Old Man Marrying A Child
- Pædo Hunt - Anyone suspected of molesting children will be hunted down and systematically destroyed.
- Parental Incest - most common form of child sex abuse in Real Life, and always rape due to the nature of the parent-child relationship.
- Pedophile Priest
- Post Rape Taunt
- Prison Rape
- Questionable Consent
- Rape and Revenge
- Rape and Switch
- Rape as Backstory
- Rape as Drama
- Rape by Proxy
- Rape Discretion Shot
- Rape Is a Special Kind of Evil
- Rape Leads to Insanity
- Rape, Pillage, and Burn
- Rape Portrayed as Redemption
- Reluctant Fanservice Girl
- Romanticized Abuse
- Scarpia Ultimatum
- Serial Rapist
- Sex for Services - When this is An Offer You Can't Refuse or similar form of extortion.
- Sex Slave
- Sextra Credit - Also when this is An Offer You Can't Refuse or similar form of extortion.
- Sexual Extortion
- Slipping a Mickey - This trope is not always associated with rape, but it often is.
- Wife Husbandry - if said "husband" persists after the prospective "wife" refuses.
- The Women Are Safe with Us
- You Would Make a Great Model