Things that are named "The Ballad of (Something)".
See also The Something Song
and Something Blues
. Note: actual Ballad form
requires specific meter and rhythm, and not all of these examples fit that classification in its strictest sense. The trope is about the name
, not the song structure.
open/close all folders
- The Cowboy Bebop episode "Ballad of Fallen Angels."
- Ranma ½: "The Ballad of Ranma and Akane."
- Trigun: "The Ballad of Vash the Stampede."
- The Ballad of Reading Gaol is a poem written by Oscar Wilde.
- "Ballad of a Boneless Chicken" is a children's poem by Jack Prelustky.
- The English version of Bertolt Brecht's The Threepenny Opera has "The Ballad of Mack the Knife".
- "The Ballad of Lost C'Mell" is a novelette written by Cordwainer Smith.
- "Ballad of the Flexible Bullet" is a short story by Stephen King.
- Rudyard Kipling was fond of these: "The Ballad of East and West," "The Ballad of the King's Jest," "The Ballad of the King's Mercy," "The Ballad of the Red Earl," etc.
- Many poems by Robert W. Service: "The Ballad of Blasphemous Bill," "The Ballad of the Black Fox Skin," "The Ballad of the Northern Lights," "The Ballad of Casey's Billy-Goat," etc.
- "The Ballad of the Lonely Masturbator" is a poem by Anne Sexton.
Live Action TV
- An early Doctor Who serial, The Gunfighters, had "The Ballad of the Last Chance Saloon".
- The Gilligan's Island theme song is actually called "The Ballad of Gilligan's Isle" (written by creator Sherwood Schwartz and George Wyle)
- An episode of Alton Brown 's Good Eats featuring foods that are both salty and sweet in nature, was appropriately titled The Ballad of Salty and Sweet.
- Firefly has The Ballad of Jayne Cobb.
- Firefly's opening is The Ballad of Serenity.
- Whose Line Is It Anyway? has "The Ballad of Leonard the Lawyer".
- Walking with Dinosaurs has The Ballad of Big Al
- "The Ballad of Jeremiah Peacekeeper" by Poets Of The Fall
- "Ballad of Davy Crockett" by Bill Hayes
- "Ballad of the Green Berets" by SSgt. Barry Sadler
- "Ballad of a Thin Man" by Bob Dylan
- "The Ballad of Tom Jones" by Space and Cerys Matthews
- "Ballad of Frankie Lee and Judas Priest" also by Bob Dylan
- "The Ballad of Billy the Kid" by Billy Joel
- Word of God states that "The Ballad of Brenda and Eddie" was the original title for the main part of "Scenes From an Italian Restaurant".
- "Ballad of Bilbo Baggins" by Leonard "Spock" Nimoy
- "Ballad of Mutt" by Bruce Dickinson
- "The Ballad of Mary (Queen of Scotts)" and "Ballad of a Hangman" by Grave Digger
- "Ballad of William Kidd" by Running Wild
- "Ballad of a Hard Man" by Thin Lizzy
- "Rollin' (The Ballad of Big & Rich)" by Big & Rich
- "Ballad of Obie Trice" by Obie Trice
- "The Ballad of John and Yoko" by The Beatles
- "A Ballad for the Fallen Soldier" by Jay-Z
- "Ballad of a Ladyman" by Sleater Kinney
- "The Ballad of Irving" by Frank Gallop
- "The Ballad of Lester Walker" by The Whitlams
- "The Ballad of Chasey Lain" by The Bloodhound Gang
- "Ballad of the Boy in the Red Shoes", "Ballad of A Well-Known Gun'', * "The Ballad Of Danny Bailey (1909-34)", and the (as of June 2013) upcoming "The Ballad Of Blind Tom" by Elton John.
- "The Ballad of Lucy Jordan" by Marianne Faithfull
- "The Ballad of Jed Clampett" by Jerry Scoggins. And the one by "Weird Al" Yankovic.
- Somewhat of a subversion: "A Ballad to Forget" by Soulwax
- "The Ballad of Dan" by The Arrogant Worms
- "Demon Bell - The Ballad of Horace Pinker" by Dangerous Toys.
- The Ballad of Jared and Jensen.
- If you were watching cartoons in, what, the late 80's or early 90's, you probably remember the incessant PSA called The Ballad of Gordon, though perhaps not by name. Here's the vid, one of the earlier songs by Barenaked Ladies.
- "Ballad of an Ancient Russian Warrior" by Aria
- "The Ballad of Barry Allen" by Jim's Big Ego
- "The Ballad of Sal Villanueva" by Taking Back Sunday
- "The Ballad of Bill Hubbard" by Roger Waters
- "Ballad of Dwight Fry" by Alice Cooper.
- "The Ballad of Curtis Loew" by Lynyrd Skynyrd
- "The Ballad of Resurrection Joe and Rosa Whore" by Rob Zombie
- "The Ballad of Marston Moor" by The Electric Light Orchestra
- "Ballad of the Beaconsfield Miners" by Foo Fighters
- "Ballad of Sir Frankie Crisp (Let It Roll)" by George Harrison
- "The Ballad of Springhill Disaster" by Peggy Seeger
- "The Ballad of Love and Hate" by The Avett Brothers
- "Ballad of Big" by Genesis.
- "Ballad of Enchantment" by Jagex Games Studio.
- "The Ballad of Michael Valentine" by The Killers.
- "The Ballad of Mona Lisa" by Panic! at the Disco.
- "The Ballad of Johnny X" by The Bouncing Souls.
- "Ballad of Truth and Lies", "Ballad of Weapon", and "Ballad of Hate" by Vladimir Vysotsky
- "Ballad of T.V. Violence (I'm Not the Only Boy)", by Cheap Trick
- "Ballad of a Cold Lost Marble" by Sparklehorse
- "Ballad of Jimmy Bones" by Latoya Williams
- "The Ballad of Big Poppa and Diamond Girl" by Cobra Starship
- "The Ballad of Candlepin Paul" by The Mighty Mighty Bosstones
- "The Ballad of Clay Carmine" by Miracle Of Sound
- "The Ballad of Optimus Prime" by The Great Luke Ski
- "The Ballad of Cleo and Joe" by Cyndi Lauper
- "The Ballad of Ira Hayes" by Johnny Cash
- "The Ballad of Me and My Friends" by Frank Turner
- "The Ballad of You and Me and Pooneil" by Jefferson Airplane
- "The Ballad of Death" by DJ Ashba (lead-guitarist in Guns N' Roses and Sixx:A.M.)
- "The Ballad of Bonnie and Clyde" by Georgie Fame
- "The Ballad of Bull" by Sabaton
- "The Ballad of Buckethead" by Buckethead featuring Les Claypool on vocals.
- The Ballads of Booth, Czolgosz, and Guiteau in Assassins.
- The Ballad of Sweeney Todd.
- The Ballad of Ollie Deasy
- "The Ballad of Sara Berry" from Ryan Scott Oliver's 35MM
- The Ballad of Baby Doe, an opera.
- "Ballad of the Robbers" from Knickerbocker Holiday.
- The Threepenny Opera had several: "Ballad of Sexual Dependency," "Ballad of the Pleasant Life" and of course "The Ballad of Mack the Knife."
- Grand Theft Auto IV: The Ballad of Gay Tony
- Oddworld: The Brutal Ballad of Fangus Klot, cancelled sequel to Oddworld: Strangers Wrath.
- The Ballad of Freddy Pharkas: Frontier Pharmacist.
- Super Meat Boy: The Ballad of The Burning Squirrel, for stages set in Dark World 1.
- There are three Ballads in Kingdom of Loathing, all played by Accordion Theives. They are The Power Ballad of the Arrowsmith, The Ballad of Richie Thingfinder, and Donho's Bubbly Ballad.
- Ballad of Hyllis, one of the most iconic themes from Beyond Good & Evil.
- Turnabout Sisters' Ballad from the first Ace Attorney, one of the series' most heartharming themes, and Reminiscence ~ Steel Samurai's Ballad from Justice For All, Dark Reprise of the heroic sounding Steel Samurai's theme.
- Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery EP has Ballad of the Space Babies, the theme used when awakening the sylvan sprites.