Sir Walter Raleigh has returned from the New World and everyone's thrilled...except for Edmund Blackadder, of course. After he can't take anymore of everyone hero worshipping Raleigh, Edmund plans to take off on his own voyage into the Sea of Certain Death. He packs his bags, gets his 'crew' together and hires a captain, but after bidding a tearful farewell to Queenie, reveals he was just planning to sail to France and TELL everyone he discovered a new world. All the better, because Captain Rum doesn't know how to get to France anyway. In fact, he doesn't know how to get anywhere. Our heroes are lost at sea, but just as they're about to resort to drinking their own urine to survive they spot land! After a thankfully off screen encounter with cannibals, where Captain Rum makes a lovely second course, our heroes return in once peice, with gifts for Queenie and Nursie, but nothing for Melchett and Raleigh. Well, nothing but some very pungent wine they picked up at sea, of which there is an inexhaustible supply...
- Audience Murmurs: Parodied, in the boat scene, where everyone is arguing except Captain Rum, who is just shouting 'rhubarb!' over and over. Of course, knowing Captain Rum, he could be arguing very strongely about rhubarb.
- I Ate What?: Melchet and Raleigh drinking some of Baldrick's....wine.
- I Don't Like the Sound of That Place: The Sea of Certain Death.
- Is That What They're Calling It Now?: Percy talks about his girlfriend:
Percy: I even touched her once.
Blackadder: Touched her what?
Percy: Uh, once. In the corridor.
Blackadder: I've never heard it called that before.
- It Will Never Catch On: Edmund about potatoes: "People are building houses out of them. They'll be eating them next!"
- Lame Comeback:
Captain Rum: Aaah, courtiers to the Queen, you're nothing but lapdogs to a slip of a girl!
Blackadder: Better a "lapdog to a slip of a girl" than a... git!
- Subverted though, in that Rum is genuinely impressed by it.
- Large Ham: Captain Rum!
- Mad Libs Catch Phrase: Captain Rum's "Ah! You have a woman's (noun)!"
- The Nicknamer: Queenie calls all her 'boys' by nicknames, even calling Sir Walter Raleigh Wally.
- Noodle Incident: It's mentioned that a horse become Pope once.
- Rhetorical Question Blunder: Edmund talks about potatoes:
Blackadder: I mean look at this! (picks up a potato) What is it?
Baldrick: Oh, I'm surprised you've forgotten, my lord.
Blackadder: I haven't forgotten; it's a rhetorical question.
Baldrick: No, it's a potato.
- Shaped Like Itself: Percy mentions Mrs. Miggins is baking a pie to honor Sir Walter in the shape of an enormous pie!
- Sommelier Speak: Apparently Baldrick's urine is "familiar" and has "plenty of nose."
- Talk Like a Pirate: Queenie wants to talk like a sailor to honor Raleigh, but ends up sounding like this. Raleigh is baffled.
- Toilet Humor: The urine drinking scene.