It's four o'clock in the morning, and Edmund is in bed with an inexpensive prostitute, Mollie. But he is awoken by a priest at his door; more specifically the Baby Eating Bishop of Bath and Wells. Apparently, it's one year to the day that Edmund borrowed a thousand pounds from the Black Monks, and he has 24 hours to pay up—or else. Edmund tries a variety of ways to make the money, including doing favours for sailors on the docks, selling his house, and borrowing from anyone he can. Meanwhile, Percy tries to help by inventing gold, but only winds up inventing green, and Queenie and Melchett keep taking whatever money they make. Edmund almost resigns himself to his death, when Baldrick mentions that most of England hates him. Taking heart from this, Edmund gets an idea for a cunning plan. He drugs the bishop and puts him in a...compromising position, and gets it all painted up by the best portrait painter in London.
- Arson, Murder, and Jaywalking: Edmund's father blew the family fortune on wine, women and amateur theatrics.
- Blatant Lies: When the Bishop comes in his bedroom, Edmund tells him that Mollie is his mother, even though she looks younger than him.
- Buffy Speak: Edmund, usually a master of similies, here says: "The grave opens up before me like a... big hole in the ground."
- Continuity Nod: When the Bishop offers Edmund a job with the church, he replies that he could never get used to the requisite undergarments. Back in Season One, Prince!Edmund became Archbishop and claimed that he only did it because he couldn't resist Hessian undergarments.
- Corrupt Church: The Black Bank and the Bishop
- Depraved Bisexual: The Baby Eating Bishop of Bath and Wells
- Eats Babies: The Baby Eating Bishop of Bath and Wells, unsurprisingly.
- Expospeak Gag: Edmund on his privies- "The very latest in front wall, fresh air orifices, complete with a wide set gutter installation below."
- Extreme Omnisexual: The Bishop will do anything to anything, animal, vegetable, or mineral.
- Fanservice: Rowan Atkinson revealed in bed wearing nothing but his pants has made many a fangirl happy.
- Friendship Moment: Subverted: Percy loyally offers his life savings to get Blackadder out of debt, only to have Blackadder casually reveal that he has long since stolen and spent the savings in question. And even BALDRICK was in on it.
- Hello, Sailor!: Baldrick and Blackadder try and make money on the docks doing favours for sailors.
- I'm a Humanitarian: The Baby Eating Bishop of Bath and Wells.
- Impoverished Patrician: Edmund himself, in this episode.
- It Will Never Catch On: Edmund says Baldrick would laugh at a Shakespeare comedy.
Mrs. Pants: I can't stand those dirty indoor things.
- Large Ham: The Bishop
- All Devouring Black Hole Loan Sharks: The Black Bank.
- Platonic Prostitution: Parodied, then subverted. Blackadder tries to pimp Baldrick out to sailors on the docks. They are approached by a very large, very gruff sailor, who, it turns out, wants them to kiss him goodnight and read him a bedtime story, like his mother used to do. Blackadder and Baldrick fulfill this innocent request, which he follows by asking...
Now then, how much for a good, hard shag?
- Reset Button: At the end, Blackadder makes sure to demand enough money to get his house back.
- Sinister Minister: The Bishop, again.
- Shaped Like Itself: Edmund calls the green stuff that Percy invents 'green.'
- Also, "the grave opens up before me like...a big hole in the ground."
- Technicolor Science: Percy's alchemical setup.