Spike and Barley Play
is a Let's Play series on YouTube
starring the titular Spike and Barley.
The series began with GoldSrc
related horror mods like Nightmare House 2
and Afraid Of Monsters
and eventually began playing other horror games such as Amnesia: The Dark Descent
as well as a slew
of non-horror selection of games. The series gained a cult following since the beginning early in 2011, until the two parted ways over a dispute and started playing separate from each other, Spike creating his own comedic Let's Plays called Sass Patrol with Shadow, his long time Real Life friend, while Barley went solo with some of his own friends. Since then they have reunited and made up to create videos without a schedule.
A recurring theme in their videos is a bunch of verbal tics
, to the point that it is hard to find a video where at least one isn't present.
Games that they have played include:
Tropes appearing in this tiny series of lil' ol' videos are:
- Abandoned Hospital: From part 8 of the Silent Hill playthrough; "Where's this lead to?" "It looks like a hospi- oh, jesus..."
- Absurdly Ineffective Barricade: In some portions of the Amnesia: The Dark Descent episodes. Just like anyone else.
- Black Comedy Rape: Played straight at the end of the Garry's Mod map: Hell's Resort. Spike remarks that it made one of the monsters run away from the sight of the scene.
- Big "NO!": Let out my many of them. A notable one is from Barley playing F-Zero.
Barley: Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo-oh... I have one more lap.
- But Thou Must: At one point, Barley asked the people watching whether he should fetch Renny, who was stuck scared at the spawn, or leave without him. Everybody told Barley to leave Renny behind. The next clip is Spike dying and being forced to bring back Renny with him.
- Canada, Eh?: Barley is Canadian.
- This is brought up in Test Drive Unlimited 2 when he uses metric (KMH) for his speedometer and calling out America for being the only country to use imperial (MPH).
- Also brought up was the fact that Canadians get milk in bags instead of cartons, possibly resulting in a flame war and Barley posting a video proving this.
- Barley hates the idea of Canadian Bacon being referred to as such.
Barley: "You make us proud. Proud to be..."
Barley: "I'm not even American!"
Spike: "Well fuck you! Eheheh..."
Barley: "Canada's a pretty cool place, man..."
Spike: "Yeah I like their Canadian bacon."
Barley takes a deep breath, Spike starts laughing
Barley: "You, fucking, bitch-ass fucking Americans... It's, You can't do that! You can't just name it Canadian bacon 'cause you're trying to make it sound like your bacon's better, 'cause it's not.
- Car Fu: Most of the Test Drive Unlimited 2 video (and some from Lost Levels II) involve the duo chasing and crashing into eachother.
- Catch Phrase Spouting Duo: Both Spike and Barley spout out the strangest things, but notably recurring ones include "Lil' Ol' man!" "You tiny man." "Mister man!" "Laugh it up!" and "GET THE FUCK!". "Free Willy/Willeh!" exclusive for Spike.
- Cool Car: Test Drive Unlimited 2, Barley has a Ford GT, Spike drives a Lotus Esprit S3 and igorek228 drove a Buggatti Veyron 16.4 Super Sport that Barley couldn't push off the road.
- Cryptically Unhelpful Answer: In their Q&A episode, one of the questions they answered was "Have you mistered a man before?" Barley was utterly confused, so Spike answered "I'm pretty sure that's when a man of the mister misters a man."
- Dirty Coward/Lovable Coward: Renny B, a guest in a few of Spike and Barley's videos, tends to be a total wuss when playing scary games, which the individual viewer may find lovable or annoying.
- Downer Ending: Lost Levels II (supposedly) ends with Barley uninstalling GTA IV, and removing Chris from his friendslist in frustration.
- Game-Breaking Bug: SCP: Containment Breach tends to suffer many memory access violations, Spike even once fell through the floor into nothing before crashing.
- Genre Savvy: Both Spike and Barley are relatively up to snuff about things the games might throw at them.
- Griefer: Spike during their let's play of Portal 2 co-op mode, to deliberately make the game longer, and because it's funny.
- Guttural Growler: Parodied mercilessly by Spike and his vocal frying moments.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: They bicker, they troll and they laugh at each other so the audience can get their laughs out of their poor cooperation skills. They still (mostly) pull through in the long run, even if it's a long, miserable run through hell and back.
- Hiccup Hijinks: Grand Theft Auto IV part 3, he hiccups everytime before he can even start the below trope.
- The Hyena: Barley doesn't just laugh, he screams.
- Hysterical Woman: Both of the times Spike, Barley, and Renny played on gm_ghosthunt, Renny's character model was a woman.
- Lampshade Hanging: Barley especially is fond of this. "The shotgun looks like a fucking 70's station wagon."
- Man Child
- Not So Stoic: Spike starts out making fun of Barley when he only had to watch him play Amnesia. When they both start playing at the same time, Spike loses his composure.
- Sir Swears-a-Lot: Most of their videos have a warning for strong language.
- Suspicious Videogame Generosity: From the beginning of Afraid Of Monsters: "Oh I got a gun!" "That's not good."
- The Nicknamer: Many of the more common characters they face get nicknamed. Listing them all here would take unnecessary space, but the more notable ones include:
- The wheelchair zombie from Afraid of Monsters is named 'Charles.' He is later used as a censor image and part of one of their intros.
- The Servant Grunt and Brute from Amnesia: The Dark Descent were called 'Mr. Struts,' and 'Anti-Struts,' respectively.
- In SCP: Containment Breach, no doubt that SCP-106 would get the nickname of Little Old Man.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: If their Portal 2 co-op videos are any indication.