Video Game: Vanish
Vanish is an indie horror game developed by 3DrunkMen on the Unity engine and hosted on Indie DB.You are a...someone, who is set into a darkened sewer to do...something. I mean, there's a tunnel out there. It's the only way you can go. It's just scary, you know? The tunnels aren't very well lit, the pipes are rattling, and there's this suspicious clicking in the distance...The fact that the player is told nothing about what is going on or what they are doing is an intentional design choice on the developer's part. The only way to proceed is to pick your favourite tunnel and start walking. The story, what little of it there is, is explored through markings and messages spread throughout the tunnels.In its current version the game ostensibly has an ending. However, it also has a reputation for destroying the players who play it with it's choking atmosphere and eerie sound effects, as well as a few jump scares.The game is downloadable here. You can also get in touch with the developers via the comments section. To date, only approximately thirty people have beaten it.
- Apocalyptic Log: The notes. We don't actually know whether the writers are dead, but the outlook is grim.
- Dead End Room: Played with. Often when a player stumbles into a dead end that wasn't there before, they can simply turn around and go back the way they came. However, if something is after you, the trope is played horrifically, lethally straight.
- Driven to Madness: The note authors. The protagonist doesn't do so well either. If the player doesn't find the keys and escape, the character will drop dead.
- The Ghost: Hank and Phil, the authors of the various notes you find, are never seen.
- Insane Troll Logic: Actual emphasis on "insane" in one of the notes.It hears me. I hear it. It knows me. I know it. It is me. I am it.
- Jump Scare: The various pipes strewn around the sewer.
- The Maze: The premise of the game. The sewer is a maze. Find the end.
- Genius Loci - The passages of the maze change. Dead ends can appear behind you if you take a wrong turn...especially if you're being chased by a monster.
- Neck Snap: What happens when a monster catches you.
- One-Hit-Point Wonder: If they catch up to you...oh snap.