- Han's conversation with Greedo while he's held at gunpoint, during while he slowly pulls his blaster out of its holster under the table and prepares to shoot him. His Karmic Death was totally hilarious!
- Then as he walks away, he tosses a coin to the bartender and says "Sorry about the mess".
- The Special Edition "Greedo shot first" cuts are just as much, either showing Greedo to have incredibly bad marksmanship that he misses Solo up close or showing Solo as dodging the shot in an animation that looks like a 2 second photoshop job.
- The "Greedo shoots first" actually makes the shot of alien scratching his head in a "What just happened?" manner even funnier.
- R2-D2 and C-3P0, the new Abbott and Costello.
- C-3PO whacking R2 when he doesn't play Leia's message for Luke again.
"The [message] you're carrying inside your rusty innards!"
- "Will someone get this walking carpet out of my way!?" followed by "No reward is worth THIS."
- The look on Luke's face when Han said that.
- Luke's attempt at practicing lightsaber skills with the remote droid. Bzap! "Ow!"
- Han chasing a group of stormtroopers, only to be ambushed by the same group. In the special edition, it gets changed from a dead end to a hangar bay full of stormtroopers.
- "CLOSE THE BLAST DOORS!" Beat "OPEN THE BLAST DOORS! OPEN THE BLAST DOORS!"
- One could imagine the door operator yelling back "MAKE UP YOUR MIND!"
- How everyone in-universe responds to seeing the Cool Starship Millennium Falcon:
Luke: What a piece of junk!
Leia: You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought.
- Han's response to the Princess' impeding execution:
Luke: They're gonna kill her!
Han: Better her than me!
- "We're all fine, now. *Beat* How are you?" *cringe*
Controller: We're sending a squad up.
Han: Uh, negative negative. We've got a...reactor leak up here. Give us a few minutes to lock it down. Large leak, very dangerous.
Controller: Who is this?! What's your operating number!
Han: [shoots comm panel] Boring conversation anyway! [calling out to Luke] LUKE, WE'RE GONNA HAVE COMPANY!!
- Luke's tactic on persuading Han to help him rescue her.
Luke: She's rich.
- Made even better by Chewie's response. You can almost hear him saying "Han, don't fall for that one. . ."
- Just before that is this gem as well:
I've seen her. She's beautiful. Han: So's life.
Luke: Well, more wealth than you can imagine!
Han: I don't know, I can imagine quite a bit.
- Watching behind-the-scenes clips has Peter Mayhew (Chewbacca's actor) speaking in perfect English before being dubbed over with growls and roars.
Chewbacca: The Old man is mad! *before being dubbed over with grunts*
Han: Boy, you said it Chewie!
- Chewie and the Mouse Droid.
- Han tries to make Chewie go down the garbage chute.
Han: Get in there!
(Chewie roars in protest)
Han: Get in there, you big furry oaf! I don't care what you smell!
(Han kicks Chewie's rear)
Han: Get in there and don't worry about it!
- Han trolling C-3P0 about Wookies and chess:
Han: Droids don't pull people's arms out of their sockets when they lose. Wookies are known to do that.
C-3P0: I see your point, sir. I suggest a new strategy, R2 - let the wookie win.
- Chewie's expression as he leans back just screams "Don't believe him? Try it, and we'll see…"
- "You don't need to see his identification..."
Stormtrooper: How long have you had these droids?
Luke: About three or four seasons.
- R2 and 3P0's bickering on the Tantive IV and as they wander though the desert on Tatooine.
"Don't call me a mindless philosopher, you overweight glob of grease."
- Also, R2 being shot with a stungun by a Jawa, a second later he short-circuits, then slowly keels over on his face.
- While talking to Jabba in the hangar, Han walks around him and steps on his tail. Then, as he's leaving:
- Fun fact: in the original version of the scene, Jabba actually was a human. They pasted the CGI Jabba we all know over the original. In fact, the entire scene was omitted until the 1997 re-release, with CGI Jabba already thrown on.
- The Imperial Officer's reaction to Han and Luke bringing Chewie to the prison cell.
: Where are you taking this... thing
- Then Chewie pretends to freak out and attacks the officer, while Han shouts "It's loose!" and he and Luke act like they're going to subdue him but instead shoot the guards and the cameras in the room.
- That scene where the stormtroopers unlock the door and start shuffling in. The leader is giving out instructions as they walk in but right behind him one of his men hits his head on the door frame with a notable *CLUNK*.
- This was an accident during filming that they decided to keep and even gave a sound effect to.
- A bit of Fridge Logic in "A New Hope" is that when Luke, dressed in full stormtrooper gear first meets Leia, she actually flirts with him. Does she make it a habit to flirt with imperial troops?
- She might have been trying to present a nonchalant appearance after being tortured, as in "You think that probe was bad? You never went to Spring Break on Aldreaan!"
- Alternatively, she's trying to save the galaxy from a machine that will detonate inhabited worlds. Maybe she's not above finding her own way to sway the guards.
- Alternatively, she was trying to get the trooper's guard down until she could take him out, steal his weapon, and fight her way out.
- Or she was just being snarky. Telling a guy that he's short isn't generally a good way to flirt with him.
- Or the entire sequence where Threepio forgets he's wearing a comlink, while Luke and the others are calling for help while trapped in a garbage chute; with the walls closing in. Then, when Threepio finally remembers and tells Artoo to shut all the chutes down, and then proceeds to confuse screams of jubilation for horrified death-rattles.
C3PO: Listen to them, they're dying, R2! Curse my metal body, I wasn't fast enough, it's all my fault!
- Or immediately after he gets back in touch with Luke, he starts whining about his problems. It's the only time in the entire trilogy where Luke completely loses his patience with Threepio.
Luke: WILL YOU SHUT UP AND LISTEN TO ME?!
- Or any of Threepio's interactions with Artoo during A New Hope. The original intent for Threepio was for him to be a fast-talking car salesman, but it was derailed - arguably for the better - when Anthony Daniels (his actor) decided to play all of Threepio's car salesman lines completely earnestly, making him into a British gentleman. As a result, the writing shifts so that he became less snarky in the later movies.
C3PO: Just you reconsider playing that message for him! [R2 beeps a question] No, I don't think he likes you at all. [R2 beeps again] No, I don't like you either. [R2 beeps sadly]
- Another good Threepio moment is when after Han and Luke shoot down the pursuing TIE Fighters, everyone's celebrating with hugs and shouts of joy… except for Threepio, who's tangled up in wires. And blames it on R2.
Threepio: Help! I think I'm melting! This is all your fault!
- "The garbage chute was a wonderful idea! What an incredible smell you've discovered!"
- "It's a good thing you had these compartments." "I mostly use 'em for smuggling. Never thought I'd be smuggling myself."
- "Wonderful girl! Either I'm gonna kill her, or I'm beginning to like her!"
- This exchange.
Han: You think a princess and a guy like me...
Luke: [Immediately] No.
- Just after Obi-Wan slices a violent patron's arm off, the other patrons resumes chilling like it's an everyday occurrence.
- Not so much every day as Han points out the bartender ratting them out to two on-duty Stormtroopers.
Han: Looks like somebody's beginning to take an interest in your handiwork.
- Han and Leia somehow finding time to start snarking at each other mere seconds after they met, right in the middle of a violent shootout that threatens to kill the lot of them.
Leia: This is some rescue! When you broke into the detention area, didn't you have a plan for getting back out?!
Han: (points at Luke) HE'S the brains, sweetheart!!
(Leia rolls her eyes and grabs Luke's blaster rifle)
Luke: Well, I—
(Leia shoots at the wall near Han)
Han: What the hell are you doing?!
Leia: Somebody has to save our skins! Into the garbage chute, flyboy!
- The mouse droid's panicked squeal when Chewbacca growls at it as he and the team advance through the Death Star, prompting the little fella to bolt out of the corridor.
- Topped by Chewie looking at Han and Luke with an expression like, "Heh, heh..."
- In the Special Edition, upon entering Mos Eisley, we see an Imperial sentry droid pestering a lifter droid. The lifter then smacks the sentry.
- When Luke arrives at the cantina in Mos Eisley we are given a few shots of the... local fauna, where the least weird things are Rubber-Forehead Aliens. Then the barman points at them shouting, "We don't serve their kind here!". He then clarifies that he was talking about the droids.
- Fridge Brilliance: The anti-droid prejudice is probably a holdover from the days of the Clone Wars, in which the Republic fought against the battle droids of the Trade Federation and Techno-Union Army.
- That, or they don't have motor oil on the menu.
- Han Solo's observation when they are in the garbage chute:
Han Solo: One thing's for sure; we're all gonna be a lot thinner.
- Although only found in the script and novelization, there's something really amusing about the line "Ben reacts to Solo's stupid attempt to impress them with obvious misinformation".
- More of a Hilarious in Hindsight moment, but after Leia is captured by storm troopers she, naturally having attitude, gives attitude to Vader. But if you think about it, Vader is Luke's father, right? And Luke and Leia are twins, right? So then that makes Vader Leia's father! She's backsassing her father!!!
- When Grand Moff Tarkin realizes Leia lied to him about the location of the rebel base. He's quite shocked and indignant considering he lied to her about not vaporizing her homeworld if she gave him that information.