- It's more Black Comedy, but when Vader kills Captain Antilles, he's still asking him questions as his neck snaps.
- Of course, at that point Vader's pointing out gigantic flaws in Antilles' Blatant Lies, so it overall gives the impression that Vader's just utterly had it with this guy.
- R2-D2 and C-3P0, the new Abbott and Costello.
- R2 and 3P0's bickering on the Tantive IV and as they wander though the desert on Tatooine.
"Don't call me a mindless philosopher, you overweight glob of grease."
- Also, R2 being shot with a stungun by a Jawa, he lets out a Girly Scream, then a second later he short-circuits, and slowly keels over on his face.
- The pathetic whimper he emits just before falling over really sells it.
- C-3PO whacking R2 when he doesn't play Leia's message for Luke again.
"The [message] you're carrying inside your rusty innards!"
- Han's conversation with Greedo while he's held at gunpoint, during while he slowly pulls his blaster out of its holster under the table and prepares to shoot him. His Karmic Death was totally hilarious!
- Then as he walks away, he tosses a coin to the bartender and says "Sorry about the mess".
- The Special Edition "Greedo shot first" cuts are just as much, either showing Greedo to have incredibly bad marksmanship that he misses Solo at point blank range or showing Solo as dodging the shot in an animation that looks like a 2 second photoshop job.
- The "Greedo shoots first" actually makes the shot of alien scratching his head in a "What just happened?" manner even funnier.
- How everyone in-universe responds to seeing the Cool Starship Millennium Falcon:
Luke: What a piece of junk!
Leia: You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought.
- What really makes the first big reveal is that, when we first see the ship....we as mere "Neanderthals" are like "Wow! Coooolll!" and the music score swells......then Luke blurts out that above line.
- Luke's attempt at practicing lightsaber skills with the remote droid. Bzap! "Ow!"
- Han trolling C-3P0 about Wookies and chess:
C-3PO: But sir, nobody worries about upsetting a droid.
Han: That's because droids don't pull people's arms out of their sockets when they lose. Wookiees are known to do that.
C-3P0: I see your point, sir. I suggest a new strategy, R2 — Let the wookiee win.
- Chewie's expression as he leans back just screams "Don't believe him? Try it, and we'll see…"
- In an extremely dark way, there's something disturbingly funny about how casually Tarkin ordered the destruction of Alderaan. "[in an elderly gentleman tone after previously threatening Leia with intimidating tone] There. See, Lord Vader? She can be reasonable. [beat, turns to Admiral Motti, and still in an elderly gentleman tone] Continue with the operation, you may fire when ready." He sounds like a villainous Benevolent Boss who retains his coolness while personally finishing a job that was originally assigned on a subordinate who couldn't execute it properly ("See? My direct method in threatening her is more effective than your poorly-executed Cold-Blooded Torture."). Fast forward to 2011, Marvel Studios' Thor has Loki who said similar thing in an equally-polite tone before attempting to destroy a planet/realm ("It's good to have you back. Now if you'll excuse me, I have to destroy Jötunheim.") which makes you wonder if a cool Evil Brit character tends to act like this when they want to destroy a planet.
- Vader sounds like he's trying not to laugh when Tarkin finds out Leia lied to them. He even gestures at Tarkin as though telling him to pay up.
- Han's response to the Princess' impeding execution:
Luke: They're gonna kill her!
Han: Better her than me!
- Luke's tactic on persuading Han to help him rescue her.
Luke: She's rich.
- Made even better by Chewie's response. You can almost hear him saying "Han, don't fall for that one (again). . ."
- And then when Han says "Rich?" you can hear Chewie grunt again as if to say "Yep, I've lost him."
- Just before that is this gem as well:
I've seen her. She's beautiful. Han: So's life.
Luke: Well, more wealth than you can imagine!
Han: I don't know, I can imagine quite a bit.
- Let's not forget Luke explaining his plan to rescue the princess:
Luke: Threepio, hand me those binders over there, will ya? Okay. (walks over to Chewbacca) Now, I'm going to put these on you...(Chewie roars at him as if he's saying "Don't even try it, boy!") Okay...Han, you...you put those on.
Han: Don't worry, Chewie. (puts the binders on him) I think I know what he has in mind.
C-3PO: Pardon me for asking, but what should Artoo and I do if we're discovered here?
Luke: Lock the door.
Han: And hope they don't have blasters.
C-3PO: That isn't very reassuring.
- Luke impatiently bouncing up and down when waiting for a turbolift.
- Han's failed attempt to stall for time in the prison block.
Uhh, we had a slight weapons malfunction, but uhh...everything's perfectly alright now. We're fine, we're all fine here now, thank you. [beat] How are you? [cringe] Controller:
We're sending a squad up. Han:
Uh, negative, negative. We've got a...reactor leak up here. Give us a few minutes to lock it down. Large leak, very dangerous. Controller: Who is this?!
What's your operating number? Han: [shoots comm panel]
Boring conversation, anyway... LUKE, WE'RE GONNA HAVE COMPANY!!
- Han tries to make Chewie go down the garbage chute.
Han: Get in there!
Chewie: (roars in protest)
Han: Get in there, you big furry oaf! I don't care what you smell! (kicks Chewie's rear) Get in there and don't worry about it!
- Threepio's pretty good at Bavarian Fire Drill's in this film, as his encounter with the Stormtroopers on the Death Star show. And how does he escape the guard they leave behind? Asking politely to leave!
Threepio: They're MAD MEN. They're heading for the prison level! If you hurry you might catch them!
Stormtrooper: Follow me! You stand guard! (Troopers leave. Threepio is standing there like "I can't believe that worked.")
- Han chasing a group of stormtroopers, screaming like a madman, only to be ambushed by a much larger group, which he runs from while screaming in fear. In the special edition, it gets changed from a dead end to a hangar bay full of stormtroopers.
- "Will someone get this walking carpet out of my way!?" followed by "No reward is worth THIS."
- The look on Luke's face when Han said that.
- "CLOSE THE BLAST DOORS!" Beat "OPEN THE BLAST DOORS! OPEN THE BLAST DOORS!"
- One could imagine the door operator yelling back "MAKE UP YOUR MIND!"
- Watching behind-the-scenes clips has Peter Mayhew (Chewbacca's actor) speaking in perfect English before being dubbed over with growls and roars.
Chewbacca: The old man is mad! *before being dubbed over with grunts*
Han: Boy, you said it Chewie!
- "You don't need to see his identification..."
- While talking to Jabba in the hangar, Han walks around him and steps on his tail. Then, as he's leaving:
- Particularly Hilarious in Hindsight—when the scene was filmed, Jabba was a human being. Watching the scene after Jabba's been Retconned into a Hutt just adds another layer to the sarcasm.
- The Imperial Officer's reaction to Han and Luke bringing Chewie to the prison cell.
: Where are you taking this... thing
- Then Chewie pretends to freak out and attacks the officer, while Han shouts "It's loose!" and he and Luke act like they're going to subdue him but instead shoot the guards and the cameras in the room.
- As they're screaming about "He's loose!" and "I'll get him!" one of them hands Chewie a big-ass blaster rifle so he can help with the carnage.
- That scene where the stormtroopers unlock the door and start shuffling in. The leader is giving out instructions as they walk in but right behind him one of his men hits his head on the door frame with a notable *CLUNK*.
- This was an accident during filming that they decided to keep and even gave a sound effect to. The 2004 version even adds one trooper telling another trooper to see to the one who hit his head.
- "Aren't you a little short for a Stormtrooper?"
- When Luke, dressed in full stormtrooper gear first meets Leia, she flirts with him. Does she make it a habit to flirt with imperial troops? She might have been trying to present a nonchalant appearance after being tortured, as in "You think that probe was bad? You never went to Spring Break on Alderaan!"
- And Luke's baffled "Huh?" when she asks him this — before remembering the uniform he's wearing.
- The entire sequence where Threepio forgets he's carrying a comlink, while Luke and the others are calling for help while trapped in a garbage chute; with the walls closing in. Then, when Threepio finally remembers ("I forgot! I turned it off!") and tells Artoo to shut all the chutes down, and then proceeds to confuse screams of jubilation for horrified death-rattles.
C3PO: Listen to them, they're dying, R2! Curse my metal body, I wasn't fast enough... It's all my fault!
- Or immediately after he gets back in touch with Luke, he starts whining about his problems. It's the only time in the entire trilogy where Luke completely loses his patience with Threepio.
Luke: Will you SHUT UP and LISTEN TO ME?!
- Or any of Threepio's interactions with Artoo during A New Hope. The original intent for Threepio was for him to be a fast-talking car salesman, but it was derailed — arguably for the better — when Anthony Daniels (his actor) decided to play all of Threepio's car salesman lines completely earnestly, playing him as a British butler type. As a result, the writing shifts so that he became less snarky in the later movies.
C3PO: Just you reconsider playing that message for him! [R2 beeps a question] No. I don't think he likes you at all. [R2 beeps again] No, I don't like you either. [R2 beeps sadly]
- Another good Threepio moment is when after Han and Luke shoot down the pursuing TIE Fighters, everyone's celebrating with hugs and shouts of joy… except for Threepio, who's tangled up in wires. And blames it on R2.
Threepio: Help! I think I'm melting! This is all your fault!
- "The garbage chute was a wonderful idea! What an incredible SMELL you've discovered!"
- Luke is grabbed by the dianoga — the amorphous tentacled creature in the trash compactor.
Luke: Blast him, will you, my gun's jammed!
- "It's a good thing you had these compartments." "I mostly use 'em for smuggling. Never thought I'd be smuggling myself."
- "Wonderful girl! Either I'm gonna kill her, or I'm beginning to like her!"
- This exchange.
Han: You think a princess and a guy like me...
Luke: [Immediately] No.
- Just after Obi-Wan slices a violent patron's arm off, the other patrons resume chilling like it's an everyday occurrence.
- Not so much every day as Han points out the bartender ratting them out to two on-duty Stormtroopers.
Han: Looks like somebody's beginning to take an interest in your handiwork.
- Han and Leia somehow finding time to start snarking at each other mere seconds after they met, right in the middle of a violent shootout that threatens to kill the lot of them.
Leia: This is some rescue! When you came in here, didn't you have a plan for getting out?!
Han: (points at Luke) HE'S the brains, sweetheart!!
(Leia rolls her eyes and grabs Luke's blaster rifle)
Luke: Well I didn't—
(Leia shoots at the wall near Han)
Han: What the hell are you doing?!
Leia: Somebody has to save our skins! Into the garbage chute, flyboy!
- Chewie and the Mouse Droid.
- The mouse droid's panicked squeal when Chewbacca growls at it as he and the team advance through the Death Star, prompting the little fella to bolt out of the corridor.
- Topped by Chewie looking at Han and Luke with an expression like, "Heh, heh..."
- In the Special Edition, upon entering Mos Eisley, we see an Imperial sentry droid pestering a lifter droid. The lifter then smacks the sentry.
- When Luke arrives at the cantina in Mos Eisley we are given a few shots of the... local fauna, where the least weird things are Rubber-Forehead Aliens. Then the barman points at them shouting, "We don't serve their kind here!". He then clarifies that he was talking about the droids.
- Fridge Brilliance: The anti-droid prejudice is probably a holdover from the days of the Clone Wars, in which the Republic fought against the battle droids of the Trade Federation and Techno-Union Army.
- That, or they don't have motor oil on the menu.
- Han Solo's observation when they are in the garbage chute:
Han Solo: One thing's for sure — we're all gonna be a lot thinner.
- Although only found in the script and novelization, there's something really amusing about the line "Ben reacts to Solo's stupid attempt to impress them with obvious misinformation".
- Though in the film, Obi Wan does give Solo a quick incredulous smirk after the infamous "Twelve Parsecs" line
- More of a Hilarious in Hindsight moment, but after Leia is captured by stormtroopers she, naturally having attitude, gives attitude to Vader. But if you think about it, Vader is Luke's father, right? And Luke and Leia are twins, right? So then that makes Vader Leia's father! She's backsassing her father!!!
- When Grand Moff Tarkin realizes Leia lied to him about the location of the rebel base. He's quite shocked and indignant considering he lied to her about not vaporizing her homeworld if she gave him that information.
- This gem...
Look at the size of it! It's way too big to be a… a space… station. Oh boy
Ben, you're right. I have a very bad feeling about this. Han:
So you get those too?
- Han Solo and Chewbacca save the day...
Han Solo: Yahoooooo! You're all clear kid, now let's blow this thing and go home!