Fan Fic / Kingdom Hearts: Blank Slate
Kingdom Hearts: Blank Slate
is a Kingdom Hearts Fan Fiction
written (poorly) by Deadbeatloser22
. It started out as an attempt to subvert
as many of the tropes commonly associated with the KH Self-Insert Fic
as possible (an aim that falls flat on its face around the seventh chapter), and so features an OC who isn't Trapped in TV Land
and who doesn't get a Keyblade at the start, though he does get one later
, and then grew into what is there today.
Complete at Seventeen chapters (plus Epilogue) and 39000 words in length.
Has a sequel, Kingdom Hearts Tabula Rasa
The Fic contains appearances from the following games and films:
This Fan Fic provides examples of:
- Aerith and Bob: Initially inverted (mundane name among fantastic), until it's revealed Jon's not his real name, Kazé is.
- Agony Beam: Vexen's Ice magic, Xemnas's Thunder magic.
- Alternate Universe: Rendered as such by Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep, which came out during the final part of the story. From the Chapter Eleven Author's notes:
Maybe I can get the next bit done before Birth By Sleep comes out in Japan and whatever backstory I had planned is contradicted...
- Back-to-Back Badasses: Riku and Sora in the Outlaw's Forest, Sora and Roxas in The Digital World That Never Was.
- Being Tortured Makes You Evil: What Vexen was possibly trying to do to Jon.
- BFS: Armour!Zexion has two of these.
- Big Damn Heroes: Jon shows up to stop Vexen spiking Sora in the chest. Mickey stops Armour!Zexion from stabbing him with a big sword.
- Blood from the Mouth: Non-fatal variant, after Jon gets crushed against a wall by one of Xaldin's lances, cracking a rib. Gets healed almost immediately after.
- Bloodless Carnage: Subverted, Heartless claws will occasionally draw blood.
- Bolivian Army Cliffhanger: Chapter Nine ends with Sora, Riku, Kairi, Roxas and Jon surrounded by Dusks ready for a fight.
- Chekhov's Gun: Jon's pendant, introduced in Chapter 14. It gives him flashes of a sort Roxas seems to recognise. It doesn't go off in the story proper, but instead helps foreshadow The Reveal, finally going off in a way in the Epilogue.
- Cerebus Syndrome: The plot seems normal enough (go here, help out, seal keyhole), but Jon's kidnap and the introduction of the Replica Organisation swings everything in a more serious direction and this takes a back seat.
- Circling Birdies: Jon can almost see the stars dancing round Sora's head after Demyx smacks him in the face.
- Cliff Stack
- Cold-Blooded Torture: Very cold, since it involves Ice...
- Colossus Climb: Sora climbs up Zexion's robot.
- Comm Links: The communicator Gummi Blocks. Can even be used to track the holder across multiple worlds.
- Continuation: Picks up about a month after KH2's Cliffhanger/Sequel Hook.
- Conveniently Timed Attack from Behind: How Jon takes out Vexen.
- Cooldown Hug: Roxas gives one to Naminé when she's freaking out in her cell.
- Crazy-Prepared: Jon just happens to have a pair of Binoculars when they need to spy on the Pelegostos Village. Lampshaded:
Sora: "How long have you been carrying those for?"
- Damn You, Muscle Memory!: Being used to the Beam Sword causes this sort of problem when Jon gets a Keyblade.
- Death Glare: Marluxia to Roxas.
- Did You Just Flip Off Cthulhu?: Jon to Demyx. Lampshaded as a bad idea:
Jon:Antagonising the guy who could probably cut you to pieces in one sweep. Nice job.
- Distressed Damsel: Naminé.
- Distressed Dude: Jon gets kidnapped by the Organisation at the end of chapter 7.
- Disturbed Doves: Will being caught in the Pelegostos trap causes birds to take flight when he shouts.
- Dressing as the Enemy: Jon steals an Organisation Coat off of his Replica after defeating him, allowing him to sneak attack Xemnas.
- Dual Wielding: Riku does this with his Keyblade and a cutlass in Calypso's Maelstrom. Roxas explicitly couldn't until fighting Saïx. Sora does this in Valor Form against Xaldin.
- Dynamic Entry: Sora enters the fight with Vexen by jump attacking him from behind.
- Everything Fades: The Organisation Replicas immolate in the same way as FROGs
- Evil Sounds Deep: Zexion.
- Fake Memories: It's revealed that everything about Jon's back-story (even his name, it's really Kazé) is this, after he was kidnapped by the real Organisation XIII before KH1 and placed in a digital world. Naminé sorts it out in the end.
- Falling into the Cockpit: Jon, when the Gummi Ship gets attacked by the Dreadnought. It doesn't go too well.
- Fast-Roping: How the party gains access to Castle Infinity.
- Fingerless Gloves: Jon takes to wearing these after gaining his Keyblade.
- Five-Man Band: The five Keyblade users form one:
- Foreshadowing: With all the subtlety of a brick to the head, such as this little exchange:
Tia Dalma: "Be wary though. For the time will come again when you must face your darkness once more."
- Except that one doesn't come to anything over the course of the story.
- Fragile Speedster: Jon, choosing speed over defence during his Awakening.
- Glowing Eyes of Doom: Roxas, Zexion.
- Grievous Harm with a Body: Jon catches a Shadow on his Beam sword and throws it into a crowd of them.
- Gunship Rescue: Roxas gives fire support from the Gummi ship against Zexion's robot.
- Half-Human Hybrid: Jon's Replica is part human, part Heartless.
- Harmless Electrocution: Roxas gets shocked by Xemnas, and is no worse for the ordeal.
- Harmless Freezing: Averted, Vexen repeatedly freezes Jon for short periods as torture. It nearly kills him, and still causes problems into the next chapter.
- Headphones Equal Isolation: Jon.
- Healing Hands: Kairi.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: Axel and Roxas. Axel thinks of Roxas as being like a younger brother more than anything else.
- How Many Fingers?: Jon to Sora, after Demyx smashes him in the face and into a wall, and again after Saïx cracks him on the head.
- Humongous Mecha: Zexion builds one in the World With No Name
- Hyperspace Arsenal: Both used and averted; Keyblades are pulled from Hammerspace, but Jon's Beam Sword is explicitly on his belt when he's not using it.
- Kneel Before Zod: Xemnas forces Roxas to kneel. Using Thunder magic.
- Laser Blade: Jon's first weapon, a Beam Sword, is basically an Energy Sword made of Thunder Magic.
- Little "No": When Jon pulls a fake out on Xemnas.
- Locked Out of the Fight: Lexaeus uses a rock wall to prevent anyone except Riku from fighting him. Larxene does this with her knives.
- Major Injury Underreaction: Jon's reaction to having one arm slashed open:
Jon: "Those claws don't half sting."
- Medium Awareness: Hearing the soundtrack variation; Kazé's music player provides the BGM for the epilogue, first with Xion's Theme whilst he's reminiscing about the adventure and wondering what happened to everyone, and then with Hand in Hand when He and Sora charge at the Heartless in the Cliffhanger. Interestingly, Hand in Hand isn't supposed to be on the player at all...
- Mexican Standoff: Namechecked.
- Mind Rape: Vexen tries to do this to Jon.
- Missing Mom: Kazé's mother, killed by the Heartless during the KH1 prologue.
- My Death Is Just the Beginning: Turns out Zexion's been running one after faking his death in Chain of Memories.
- Nausea Fuel: In-universe, Gibbs' description of the Kraken nearly makes Jon throw up over the side of the Longboat.
- Non-Lethal K.O.: Attacking a human with a Beam Sword produces similar effects to a taser, given it's an electric-based weapon.
- Non Sequitur, *Thud*: Sora, after Saïx cracks him on the head.
- Normally, I Would Be Dead Now: Jon muses on this after waking up in Davy Jones' Locker.
- Not-So-Innocent Whistle: Sora, after throwing the tracker into a portal behind Demyx's back.
- Odd Name Out: Jon, initially.
- Old-School Dogfight: The Teeny ships against the fighters defending the Dreadnought.
- One-Winged Angel: Zexion.
- Ordinary High-School Student: Jon. Sort of.
- Orphan's Plot Trinket: It turns out that Kazé's pendant was given to him by his father not long before his initial kidnap.
- Outrun the Fireball: Star Wars style.
- Painting the Medium: Anyone wearing an Organisation coat with the hood up speaks in italics. The Awakening voice talks in Bold Italics. Zexion speaks in Bold after absorbing the power of Kingdom Hearts.
- Paint It Black: Jon's Replica is an almost exact double, except for the black hair with a Skunk Stripe and Heartless-like yellow eyes.
- Retired Badass:
Jon Kazé's father, former Keyblade master.
- Self-Insert Fic: Noted in the Fan Fic Header.
- Shell Game: Luxord plays a giant version of the cards variant using himself, Riku, Jon and Kairi.
- Shout-Out: Also noted in the header, with the "bits sporked from other continuities" bumf. For example, Jon spends a lot of time using a music player to try to block out the world.
- Skunk Stripe: Jon's Replica.
- Strapped to an Operating Table: Jon, in Vexen's lab.
- Supernatural Gold Eyes: Jon's Replica, as a result of being created from Heartless-tainted blood.
- Super Mode: Sora activates Valor Form for the first time in a while against Xaldin.
- Take My Hand: Subverted, trying to do this pulls Sora and Jon off the Gummi Ship and into the maw of the Kraken.
- Teens Are Short: To be expected; Jon's established as being shorter than Kairi.
- The Power of Friendship: Sora repeats his "my friends are my power" line after the five Keybladers hand Marluxia his ass.
Sora: "My power has grown, but it doesn't just come from the Keyblade. My friends are my power, and as they believe in me, I believe in them."
- The Reveal: Just who
Jon Kazé really is.
- Throwing Your Keyblade Always Works: Sora throws his Keyblade at Marluxia, Lexaeus throws the Skysplitter at Riku, Jon throws his Keyblade at Xaldin, and again at Saïx, along with Sora. Mickey throws his Keyblade at Armour!Zexion.
- Time Skip: The second half of the final chapter does this as
Jon Kazé's having his memory put back in order.
- Took a Level in Badass: Getting kidnapped, tortured and mind raped sends Jon to his Awakening, giving him a Keyblade and magic. Kairi's also moved up to competent fighter, going through the Sheriff's men, Heartless and Nobodies with moderate ease.
- Trapped in TV Land: Subverted, Jon comes from a world that's basically a Modern Earth analogue, but isn't from the "real" world. Except he doesn't, he just thought he did.
- Trap Is the Only Option: Most of the characters recognise the Corridor of Darkness in the White Room as one. Lampshaded later:
Jon: "If you say 'I told you so', so help me I'll whack you."
- True Companions: The Keyblade users.
- Unstoppable Rage: Roxas against Saïx.
- Unusually Uninteresting Sight: Subverted, people in Tortuga do notice Goofy, but assume he's something they're imagining whilst drunk, then go back to drinking again.
- Watching The Sunrise: Kazé watches the sun rise over the Destiny Islands after returning home.
- Weapon of Choice: Altered slightly, in that Roxas uses the Two Become One Keyblade instead of the Kingdom Key whilst single-wielding.
- "Where Are They Now?" Epilogue: The final chapter is basically Kazé sat on the beach wondering this about all the people he met on his first adventure.
- Wound That Will Not Heal: Roxas has a burn on his forearm after Marluxia combusted that magic won't heal.
- You Can Barely Stand: Why Sora tells Jon to stay behind.
Sora: "And anyway, ten minutes ago you were nearly dead."