Bang Zoom! Entertainment is a dubbing studio in California
well known for providing anime dubs for Aniplex USA
, Viz Media
(in addition to Studiopolis and The Ocean Group
), and occasionally for Media Blasters
(who mostly uses NYAV Post or Headline Studios), Sentai Filmworks
(who mostly uses Seraphim Digital Studios
), formerly Bandai Entertainment
before both companies stopped distributing Anime in North America and now, NIS America
. Some of the well-known anime dub works include Haruhi Suzumiya
, Eureka Seven
, Fate/stay night
, Lucky Star
, Samurai Champloo
, and Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
They are also involved in creating many, many video game voice tracks.
Tropes and trivia associated with Bang Zoom! Entertainment:
- All-Star Cast: Bang Zoom mostly averts this trope ever since their K-On! dub and they have been hiring newer names in addition to several veteran voice actors. They still do this on an occasional basis, like with Fate/Zero and Durarara!!.
- Amateur Cast: Most of their anime and video game dubs after 2011 falls into this trope, usually involves young and newer voice talents from open auditions from Anime Expo.
- Digital Piracy Is Evil: A issue Eric P. Sherman brought up with his controversial comments. This trope is also stressed by many voice actors who work with Bang Zoom!
- Hey, It's That Voice!: Bang Zoom Entertainment uses top profile and well-known veteran anime voice actors like Steve Blum, Wendee Lee, Johnny Yong Bosch, Michelle Ruff, Crispin Freeman, and Yuri Lowenthal.
- Ever since the K-On! dub, they've been hiring newer talents in their anime voice work. They still hire large names from time to time.
- Production Posse: As with any recording studio that specialize in anime, the English dub casts usually uses the same voice actors and many of the dub casts can easily be predicted based on the ADR Director and the union status of the dub. Thus, this is one of the main reason why Pigeonholed Voice Actor is used a lot with some of Bang Zoom's dubs. Here's a small quick guidenote :
- Kristi Reed: Normally leans towards All-Star Cast with many Bang Zoom regulars. This is especially true if the dub being produced is licensed by Viz Media or if the dub happens to be union. In other words, somewhat closer to what Studiopolis does.
- Tony Oliver: Prefers casting newer talents in the dubs in lead roles that he directs. It also doesn't help to note that he also serves as a teacher and coach to many of the newer voice actors.
- Alex von David: A mix-a-match between Kristi Reed's and Tony Oliver's casting with a mixture of newer talent and veteran voice actors. However, he usually prefers casting Bryce Papenbrook and Christine Marie Cabanos in lead roles.
- Token Mini-Moe: Bang Zoom is one of the few dubbing studios that are great in specializing in this trope in anime and video games alike. Some voice actor examples include: Stephanie Sheh, Christine Marie Cabanos, and Sandy Fox.
- Viewers Are Geniuses: The casting of Lucky Star manages to keep all the references and Actor Allusions intact, and even throws in more references in some cases.