In the U.S., Toonami
is an action animation block dedicated to airing action-oriented anime and western shows, airing on Cartoon Network before being cancelled in 2008, and then being revived on [adult swim]
Over in the east, however, Toonami isn't just a television block... it's a television channel!
Starting in December 1, 2012 and airing 24/7, the Toonami channel (often referred to as Toonami Asia to distinguish it from the other Toonami over in the west) is, much like its western counterpart, dedicated to airing action-animation, both japanese and western. This isn't the first time that a Toonami channel was attempted. The UK tried their hand at a Toonami channel, though that didn't turn out so hot in the end
. Hopefully, this new Toonami channel in Asia will do better.
Quite unlike its western counterpart, Toonami Asia focuses much more on western animation, from CN originals (ThunderCats (2011)
, Sym-Bionic Titan
, and Generator Rex
), to comic book-based superhero shows (Wolverine and the X-Men
, Batman: The Brave and the Bold
and Justice League Unlimited
), to other western shows (Transformers Prime
, Star Wars: The Clone Wars
, and Xiaolin Showdown
), with a little bit of japanese animation thrown in (Dragon Ball Z
and Deltora Quest
The channel is run by NAMI (not to be confused with another Nami
), an artificial lifeform from the future. There was a contest held that allowed fans to submit ideas for Nami's backstory, with the winner having his concept produced into an animated clip and a comic book. Recently
, promos revealing
NAMI's appearance have been uploaded, as well as introducing a storyline involving the end of "The Age of Superheroes".
Tropes related to Toonami Asia...
- Big Bad: The unnamed, shadowed figure from the Origin promo is most likely this.
- Black Sheep: Kamen Rider Dragon Knight. Not a bad show, and it does have plenty of action, but... a live action show on Toonami?
- Dragon Ball Z, Deltora Quest, and any other anime currently airing can count, if only because they're on a channel dominated by western shows.
- End of an Age: In-universe. The Age of Superheroes, to be specific.
- Expy: Nami, the host of Toonami Asia, is one for both TOM and SARA.
- Hope Bringer: In-universe, NAMI describes herself as "Earth's last hope".
- The Toonami Asia channel is available in several different asian countries such as Singapore and Indonesia... but not in Japan.
- A few of the shows airing on Toonami Asia are very highly requested for the [adult swim] Toonami over in America (the most prominent one being Dragon Ball Z).
- Lighter and Softer: While it isn't currently known if any of the shows are subjected to Bowdlerization, Glenn Bartlett, the man who runs the channel, has stated that Toonami Asia is aimed towards kids (and it shows, with most of the programs being american cartoons that were aimed at kids to begin with and don't require any censorship at all), unlike the more mature Toonami block currently airing on [adult swim] in the states.
- Massive Multiplayer Crossover: Might not look massive, but the Origin promo shows characters from Justice League Unlimited (and by extension, Batman: The Animated Series and Superman: The Animated Series), Ben 10, and Generator Rex all existing in the same universe.
- Tron Lines: NAMI's body.
- Word of God: Glen Bartlett has said that Toonami Asia's storyline of NAMI and the end of the Age of Superheroes takes place in the same universe as the US Toonami with TOM and SARA. That being said, Glen Bartlett isn't part of the Toonami staff in the US, meaning that it's up to Jason DeMarco and the rest of the crew to decide whether or not that statement is true.