open/close all folders
Tropes that apply to IceClan as a whole:
- Big Screwed-Up Family: Thanks to a lot of mix-ups in the earliest years of VWW, literally everyone in the Clan is related in some way to each other. This makes most mate pairs automatically incestuous.
- La Résistance: A rebellion was staged at one point to overthrow Wildstar and Thunderstripe, splitting the Clan in two. During the plot, it was pretty popular for IceClanners to put their status as a "rebel" or "loyalist" on their profiles.
WildstarThe leader of IceClan, and character of the site's admin, Jaimie.
- Action Girl: A highly experienced hunter and warrior.
- Authority Equals Asskicking: Leader of IceClan, as well as an Action Girl.
- Badass in Distress: Got kidnapped, along with Darkstar, Flamingstar, and Spiritstar, by rogues in an early VWW plot.
- Friendly Enemy: With Darkstar, though how "friendly" and how "enemy" varies from plot to plot.
- Reasonable Authority Figure: She's pretty levelheaded most of the time.
ThunderstripeThe deputy of IceClan.
- The Ghost: He rarely appears as a character, thanks to his creator's almost complete inactivity on the site.
- Number Two: For Wildstar.
WindflurryAn elder and former warrior, as well as one of the older members.
- Action Girl: As a warrior, particularly in her senior years.
- Badass: In one thread, she killed an attacking snake by biting it in half.
- Good Scars, Evil Scars: Has several faded scars across her face.
- Happily Mated: With Maplefrost.
- Retired Badass: As an elder.
MaplefrostAn IceClan senior warrior.
- Artistic License – Biology: He's a calico, which would make him sterile in real life, but has kits with Windflurry.
- Badass: A competent senior warrior and combatant, who's seen his fair share of battles.
- Badass in Distress: He's held hostage in FireClan with Mossfeather and Birdshadow in one plot, eventually having to be rescued by Birdshadow after he and Mossfeather have long escaped. In another, he nearly gets carried away by an eagle and Koisplash intervenes to save him and help him fight it off.
- Heroic Bastard: He's the son of Shadefrost and Hawkstar.
- Sibling Rivalry: With Koisplash, his half-sister.
Tropes that apply to FireClan as a whole:
- Fan Nickname: Was nicknamed "NoobClan" for a while because of the many noobish members it had.
- Love Martyr: It could be argued that most, if not all, of FireClan cats are this way towards Darkstar. She burns the camp down at one point, and yet that doesn't change their respect for her.
DarkstarThe leader of FireClan, who switches from being borderline Ax-Crazy and a Snark Knight at the drop of a hat.
- Action Girl: As with most female VWW characters.
- Anti-Hero: She's not very heroic, but isn't so bad that she'd go to the Dark Pool. Maybe.
- Badass: To memetic levels.
- Friendly Enemy: With Wildstar, though how "friendly" and how "enemy" varies from plot to plot.
- Icy Blue Eyes: Has blue eyes to match with her somewhat cold personality (though they've also been colored as brown at several points).
- I'm a Humanitarian: As a running gag, she'll often eat rule-breaking apprentices and kits. More of a joke thing on the part of her creator than serious, though. (Hopefully.)
- Jerkass <-> Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Zig-zags between the two like all hell.
- Only Sane Cat: She considers herself this in her Clan.
- Snark Knight: Often dispenses bitter sarcasm towards most of her Clan.
- Surrounded by Idiots: She sees everyone in her entire Clan as incompetent idiots to the point that she once burned the camp down to teach them a lesson.
- Tall, Dark and Snarky: She's tall, black-furred, and very sarcastic.
SquirrelpeltThe deputy of FireClan.
- Anti-Hero <—> Anti-Villain: She's either a Reasonable Authority Figure or Knight Templar, depending on the plot.
- Good Is Not Nice: Described as such by her creator.
- Number Two: For Darkstar.
NightshadeA cannibal fond of referring to everyone else in culinary terms.
- Apathetic Clanmate: Nightshade has repeatedly said that he cares for FireClan only as a source of food. Of course, he might be in denial.
- Devil in Plain Sight: He doesn't really try to hide that he eats cats and enjoys doing so. For some reason, no one seems to notice or care.
- Eats Kits: Possibly. He threatens to eat some kidnapped kits he's guarding, but never actually gets around to it.
- I'm a Humanitarian: It's unclear exactly whether or not this is just as a running gag.
- Would Hurt a Child: When told to guard some kits taken in a raid, he dug a hole to store them in and threatened to kill and eat them if they left.
SparrowfurThe oldest FireClan queen, who has a missing front leg.
- Action Mom/Handicapped Badass: She can still fight pretty well, even with only three legs.
- Love Triangle: Was a part of one with Shadowwing and Moonlight, but won out in the end.
- Nice She-Cat: Has a kind disposition in general.
- Official Couple: With Shadowwing.
- Second Love: To Shadowwing, after Moonlight.
- Team Mom: For FireClan as a whole.
Tropes that apply to TreeClan as a whole:
- Butt Monkey: TreeClan in one of the plots. First the entire forest gets burned down and destroys their camp, then they have to shelter in IceClan and eventually get kicked out, and then FireClan attacks, kidnapping a kit while they're at it. Sheesh.
BeechstarThe leader of TreeClan, who is the only one who isn't Clan-born in some way and was instead raised in the alleys at the Twolegplace.
- All of the Other Reindeer: He was bullied by his siblings and the other higher-ups in the alleys at the Twolegplace when he was young, just for being the runt of his litter.
- Authority Equals Asskicking: A competent warrior in his own right.
- Badass: Once ripped off a RockClan warrior's tail in his first fight as a leader.
- Cain and Abel: The Abel to Oak and Willow's Cains.
- Chick Magnet: He's had Nightheart, Feralbreak, and Tinywhisker after him. That's not getting into how he once had a mate, Owlsong, who was his apprentice, and his Ship Tease with Koisplash.
- Cinderella Circumstances: For being the runt of his litter when he was a kit, he was made a slave like the others who were deemed "outcasts" by the alley cats.
- Fiery Redhead: He has ginger fur and a rather short temper at times to match.
- The First Cut Is the Deepest: He has a lot of emotional baggage from his relationship with Owlsong.
- I Am Not Your Father: Larksong initially believes he's her father, but it turns out he's not.
- Kick the Dog: He's done some pretty unnecessarily cruel things, such as exiling Oakspirit for having had an affair with his half-brother and clawing Larksong across the eye, blinding her in it, during an argument. The former, however, became a forgotten plot that was presumably retconned out of existence, and you could say he made up for the latter by losing a life while saving Larksong with Koisplash during a TreeClan fire.
- Mentor Ship: He fell in love with his first apprentice, Owlsong, after she became a warrior. Then she died.
- Parental Abandonment: His father died before he was born, and his mother was killed when he was a kit.
- Platonic Life Partners <-> Unresolved Sexual Tension: It's unclear whether his relationship with Koisplash is the former or the latter, as the subtext could really go either way.
- Strong Family Resemblance: Looks near-identical to his father, Forest.
- Unexpected Successor: Was chosen to be leader over the deputy at the time, Mintleaf.
- What the Hell, Hero?: Gets called out, usually by Koisplash, on his more questionable deeds.
- Young and In Charge: Became leader while he was a newly named warrior, which took its toll on him.
KoisplashThe deputy of TreeClan.
- Action Girl: As with almost all female VWW characters.
- Arch-Enemy: With Valefrost.
- Badass: Fought an eagle twice her size alongside Maplefrost, and won.
- Big Damn Heroes: Saves Maplefrost from an eagle while it's trying to carry him off by attacking it, giving him a chance to free himself from its talons.
- Celibate Hero: After her disastrous affair with Viper, she has never taken a mate or had serious romantic interest in someone, other than some subtext with Beechstar.
- Deadpan Snarker: Loves to make sarcastic quips.
- Heroic Bastard: She's the daughter of Oakspirit, a TreeClan queen, and Hawkstar, the leader of RockClan (though he was Hawktalon, a FireClan warrior, at the time of her birth).
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: She can be short-tempered, bitter, and brutally honest to the point of rudeness, but ultimately does mean well at heart.
- The Lancer: To Beechstar.
- Luke, I Am Your Father: A variation. She finds out that Hawkstar is her father, but from Harrowingpride, not Hawkstar himself (who didn't know).
- Platonic Life Partners <-> Unresolved Sexual Tension: It's unclear whether her relationship with Beechstar is the former or the latter, as the subtext could really go either way.
- Reasonable Authority Figure: She usually tries to keep a cool head when dealing with trouble as the deputy.
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech: Often delivers these.
- Sibling Rivalry: With Maplefrost, her half-brother.
- Strong Family Resemblance: Is described as looking almost exactly like her mother, Oakspirit.
- Undying Loyalty: To Beechstar.
WaspwingOne of the TreeClan medicine cats, he was prevented from becoming a warrior because of his twisted leg (as a parallel to Cinderpelt).
- Anti-Hero: The cynical type.
- Celibate Hero: As a medicine cat, he has vows to never take a mate or have kits.
- Deadpan Snarker: To the point that it borders on Snark Knight.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: He's usually grouchy, short-tempered, and won't hesitate to chew someone out if he needs to, but does care about the welfare of his Clan.
- The Medic: As one of TreeClan's medicine cats.
- Non-Action Guy: As a medicine cat with a crippled leg, he can't fight much.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: The blue to Fernpelt's red.
FernpeltOne of the TreeClan medicine cats.
- Action Girl: Particularly noteworthy, considering that she's a medicine cat.
- The Apprentice: Was this to Crystalglow.
- Hair-Trigger Temper: She's easily annoyed and usually impatient.
- The Medic: As one of TreeClan's medicine cats.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: The red to Waspwing's blue.
- Tsundere: Type B.
SpiritstepThe retired former leader of TreeClan, now an elder, and Beechstar's old mentor.
- Action Girl
- Arch-Enemy: To Darkstar.
- Badass in Distress: Was kidnapped, along with Wildstar, Darkstar, and Flamingstar, as part of an early plot and had to be rescued by Bloodflame and others.
- The Leader: Was this before Beechstar.
- The Mentor: Formerly, to Beechstar.
- Retired Badass
CoonbiteBeechstar's older half-brother, who lived in the Twolegplace as a rogue before coming to TreeClan and being made a warrior.
- Animal Motifs: Raccoons.
- Big Brother Instinct: Towards Beechstar.
- Big Brother Mentor: To Beechstar.
- Meaningful Name: His name was "Coon" prior to receiving his warrior name, and he has the markings of a raccoon, complete with dark gray ears and a striped tail.
- Nice Guy: He's a friendly type in general.
- Ship Tease: With Oakspirit.
ScarhealerA mute warrior. Though unable to speak, she is able to communicate in a number of ways otherwise.
- First-Person Smartass/Silent Snarker: Makes some sarcastic quips in her thoughts, as she can't say them out loud.
- Follow the Leader: Her creation led to a new trend of mute, blind, or otherwise disabled characters, some being very blatant copycats.
- The Speechless: Considering that she's mute and all.
Tropes that apply to RockClan as a whole:
- Ghost Town: It's always been the least populated of the Clans for some reason, though there's been more activity in it as of 2013.
HawkstarThe leader of RockClan. He lived in FireClan before leaving to become the next leader of RockClan.
- Authority Equals Asskicking: Leader of RockClan, as well as a competent warrior.
- The Casanova: He has kits with multiple queens in all four Clans, is currently mates with Prairiesong, and is heavily implied to have mated with Antoinette in one thread.
- The Chosen One: He was picked by CloudClan to lead RockClan, hence why he left his home Clan.
- Happily Mated: To Prairiesong.
- Icy Blue Eyes
- The Leader: Of RockClan.
- Luke, You Are My Father: Finds out that Koisplash is his daughter long after her mother's death.
- Really Gets Around: He has kits in all four Clans, for crying out loud.
- You Remind Me of X: Never actually says it, but he mentally notes that Koisplash is a lot like her mother, Oakspirit, after he finds out that she's his daughter.
SagefangDeputy of RockClan, and originally known as Dawnmist.
Tropes that apply to DeathClan as a whole:
- Captain Ersatz: Of BloodClan, although the main difference is that DeathClan is in a forest, not the Twolegplace.
FallacyThe new leader of DeathClan, who was appointed after the previous leader's sudden resignation.
- Foil: To Anarchy. While Anarchy wanted to leave DeathClan to lead itself, Fallacy believed DeathClan would fall without a leader, hence his becoming the leader himself.
- The Leader: Of DeathClan.
- Only Sane Man: Ends up having to be the one stopping all the fighting and arguing going on after Anarchy's departure.
- Reasonable Authority Figure: More levelheaded than recent leaders.
HallowSecond-in-command of DeathClan and a friend of Fallacy's, as well as Badger's younger sister.
- A Friend in Need: To Fallacy.
- Faux Action Girl: She only fights once, and that's when she tries to attack Darkning for claiming she should be leader instead of Fallacy, with Darkning easily dodging the move.
- Heavy Sleeper: She apparently was asleep while the rest of DeathClan was raiding RockClan.
- Number Two: For Fallacy.
- Platonic Life Partners: Indicated to have this sort of relationship with Fallacy, hence why she was chosen as his second-in-command.
- Sibling Yin-Yang: With Badger.
BadgerAnother second-in-command for Fallacy, though an unofficial one.
- A Child Shall Lead Them: He was the leader of a raid when he was a kit.
- Badass: One of the toughest and most competent DeathClan elites.
- Blood Knight
- Dirty Coward: According to his creator.
- The Dragon: To Fallacy.
- Lack of Empathy
- Pet the Dog: For all his flaws (which are countless), he did seem to actually care about Scourge.
- Scars Are Forever: Has multiple scars on his body, ranging from his face to his tail.
- Sibling Yin-Yang: With Hallow.
- Would Hurt a Child: Isn't afraid to smack a kit around if they back-talk him. You hear that, Strike?
AnarchyThe previous leader of DeathClan, who changed many things about it (such as getting rid of the training system and leadership of generals). However, after that, he decided to leave the cats to lead themselves, causing Fallacy to take up his position.
- But Now I Must Go: Announces his resignation and departs from DeathClan entirely just days after he's made leader.
- Manipulative Bastard: He's pretty keen on exploiting cats' weaknesses.
- Meaningful Name: His name is Anarchy, and he causes it in the Clan a lot, particularly when he announces that he's resigning.
- Real Life Writes the Plot: Due to technical difficulties, his creator had to switch to a new character (Fallacy) while still staying on staff in the leader position.
DarkningOne of DeathClan's former elites and most experienced cats.
- Childhood Friend Romance: Was in love with her kithood friend, Darkheart, until he left for RockClan and became mates with another she-cat.
- Dark Action Girl
- Dark Is Evil: Has black fur, is generally associated with darkness, and isn't one of the nicest cats around.
- Faux Affably Evil: Can act sweet and polite when she wants to, but that way of acting is only skin-deep for her.
- Icy Blue Eyes
- Leader Wannabe: Wants to declare herself leader after Anarchy steps down, but Fallacy is appointed instead.
- Meaningful Name: "Darkning" is a play on the word "darkening".
ArtemisA half-deaf DeathClanner, who's one of the less aggressiveness-oriented cats.
- Abusive Parents: Her mother treated her horribly.
- Action Girl
- Anti-Villain: The only really villainous quality about her is that she's part of DeathClan.
- Berserk Button: She hates seeing kits get beaten up for no reason.
- Broken Bird
- Emotionless She-Cat: She gives off this impression, but it's subverted in that she's more emotionally repressed than anything else and has a Sugar and Ice Personality.
- Handicapped Badass: Deaf in one ear, but that doesn't stop her from being a competent hunter and fighter.
- Parental Substitute: For Drought, who sees her as a surrogate mother.
- Sugar and Ice Personality
ViperThe leader of DeathClan before Anarchy and Fallacy.
- Affably Evil: Usually rather polite for the leader of an amoral rogue group.
- Big Bad: Of several plots.
- Dark Is Evil: Generally associated with darkness, complete with having black fur.
- Deadpan Snarker: At times.
- Disappeared Dad: To Antoinette.
- Lean and Mean: Has a tall and lanky build.
- Manipulative Bastard: Often uses trickery to undermine others.
BlazeA well-respected DeathClan senior, with the most knowledge of herbs (making her roughly the rogues' equivalent to a Clan medicine cat).
- Action Girl: Doesn't see a lot of action, but can fight when pushed.
- Affably Evil: More "affable" than "evil", but she is steadfastly loyal to DeathClan regardless.
- The Apprentice: Was this to Moon.
- Berserk Button: Has next to no tolerance for smart-mouthed youngsters or anything that could harm DeathClan's general well-being.
- The Medic: Because she knows the most about herbs among the rogues, she could be considered the DeathClan equivalent to a Clan medicine cat, and even holds a position as a healer for some time. However, this was dropped after a rule change in DeathClan that only Clan medicine cats can know herbs.
DroughtOne of DeathClan's members; less experienced than the seniors but more experienced than the newer ones.
- Anti-Villain: He's harsh and merciless, but he doesn't murder or generally act as evil as expected.
- The Rival: To Strike.
Loners, Rogues, and Kittypets
AcidfangThe Big Bad of VWW in general. He's a Legacy Character, what with there being seven cats who bear his name and general personality, but it's a bit difficult to tell them apart. Commonly allies with DeathClan, then disappears shortly before the clans begin to counterattack.
- Affably Evil: Can be quite polite and well-mannered when he wants to be.
- Big Bad
- Brainy Brunet: A variation. His fur is dark brown, and he's probably the biggest chessmaster on the entire site.
- The Chessmaster
- Continuity Snarl: When it comes to the matter of the seven Acidfangs. Which one is which? Is this Acidfang in the Dark Pool or is he alive? Was this Acidfang both in the Dark Pool and in the rogues area, or is it another one?
- Karma Houdini: For all his manipulations, he's hardly—if ever—gotten a comeuppance.
- Legacy Character: There's seven of him.
- Living Shadow: His Darkpool variants are usually implied to be this to a point.
- Manipulative Bastard: He knows how to finds cats' weaknesses and play them for all they're worth.
- Rule of Seven: There are seven cats carrying his overall identity.
ScarletA ruthless and skilled former DeathClan elite, who was infamous among rogues for her high ambitions and general cruelty. She once had white fur, but it was permanently dyed a deep red from blood stains.
- Ambition Is Evil: Wanted power above all, and would stop at nothing to get it.
- Dark Action Girl
- Evil Redhead: Has red fur, as her name would indicate, though it's not natural.
- Ghost Town: It's so unpopular that the only board less active than it is the fox board.
Tropes that apply to CloudClan as a whole:
- Captain Ersatz: Is identical to StarClan in all but name.
- Early Installment Weirdness: In the early days of VWW, characters died and went to CloudClan rather freely, and in Hollystar's case, she was made entirely to be a CloudClan spirit. However, a rule eventually was made that no character could die and join CloudClan without Jaimie's express permission (which was rarely given), hence why the CloudClan board is so inactive.
- Ghost Town: Because of the aforementioned rule. Deconstructed in one plot: it's because of their declining population that they make the Hunger Games to kill off cats and have more spirits as a result.
- Spirit Advisors: All of them are still able to dispense advice long after they're dead.
- What the Hell, Hero?: Generally everyone in the Clans turned against them in disgust for creating the Hunger Games to force cats to fight to the death and raise CloudClan's population in the end.
BloodflameA famous hero of the Clans, who died in battle and now resides in CloudClan with his mate, Peachwing.
- A Child Shall Lead Them: Was appointed leader of BloodClan and made Bloodstar when he was a kit.
- Badass: When he was alive, he was a skilled warrior who often led cats in battle.
- Childhood Friend Romance: With Peachwing.
- Curtains Match the Window: Red eyes with red fur.
- Fiery Redhead: Has a red tabby pelt with a fiery temper to match.
- The Hero: Acted as the proactive moral center and The Leader for other characters in early plots.
- Official Couple: With Peachwing.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: Averted. Though he has red eyes, he's a heroic character.
- Together in Death: With Peachwing.
PeachwingA spirit who was a FireClan cat when she was alive. She is Skyflight's sister and Bloodflame's mate.
- Broken Bird: She went through quite a lot, to say the least.
- Childhood Friend Romance: With Bloodflame.
- Deader Than Dead: As a CloudClan spirit, she dies when trying to stop Hydra from escaping the Dark Pool through a portal. However, this seems to have been retconned now, since she's seen in CloudClan again.
- First Girl Wins: The first she-cat that Bloodflame had a major interaction with when they were kits, and ultimately his true love interest.
- Nice Girl: Usually calm and sweet-tempered, though it's not wise to anger her.
- Official Couple: With Bloodflame.
- Real Life Writes the Plot: The reason she was killed off while attempting to stop Hydra from escaping the Dark Pool was because her creator wanted to stop RPing her. However, because she eventually handed Peachwing's account over to someone else (the creator of Waspwing and Badger), this was retconned out so that Peachwing could remain in CloudClan.
- The Quiet One: Doesn't talk a whole lot when she doesn't need to, and stays out of the way most of the time.
- Together in Death: With Bloodflame.
HollystarAn old CloudClan spirit, who mainly gave out prophecies and cryptic warnings.
- Big Good: Seems to have been this.
- Posthumous Character: Was created solely to be a CloudClan spirit.
MoonpeltA CloudClan spirit.
- Deadpan Snarker: As this thread shows:Tearblossom: CloudClan, after consulting with [Acidfang], I have decided the only way to rid The Father is to kill the minds that he exists in.Moonpelt: Good, I was worried we were going to have to do something hard.
- Good Is Not Nice: He can be pretty ruthless with his suggestions; evidenced by when he suggests having CloudClan stay out of the way and let Acidfang and The Father kill each other.
TearblossomA CloudClan spirit, who was a friend of Sunblaze when she was alive.
- Big Good: For CloudClan as a whole.
- Character Tics: Has a twitchy tail that spasms occasionally.
- Good Is Not Soft: While a benevolent spirit, when she finds out from Acidfang that the only way to destroy The Father is to kill the cats he exists in the minds of, she decides that it must be done. This is also an aversion of Thou Shalt Not Kill.
CrescenteyeA FireClan warrior when she was alive, who was killed by a DeathClan cat named Scarlet during a site-wide plot.
Dark Pool/Hidden Forest
Tropes that apply to the Dark Pool/Hidden Forest as a whole:
The FatherAn unknown entity that is worshiped as a god, particularly by three cats named Drift, Slyde, and Zoom. He apparently only exists in the minds of his followers, and so is locked up in a cell in the Dark Pool.
- Bigger Bad: In an early VWW plot.
- Everyone Calls Him "Barkeep": It's not known if he has a name at all, other than "The Father".
- Spell My Name with a "The": He's always called The Father, not just Father.
AcidfangSee above in the Loners, Rogues, and Kittypets folder.
Tropes that apply to the wolf board as a whole:
- Fan Nickname: Often referred to as "the noob board" in the same vein as FireClan.
Tropes that apply to the fox board as a whole:
- Ghost Town: It's the least populated roleplaying board on the site, with any attempts to revive it usually ending in failure.