Characters: The Wizard in the Shadows
Harry Potter / The Black Wizard / The Wizard in the Shadows / The Lord Moristar Morinhetar (Black Wizard Darkness Slayer), Royal Wizard of Gondor and Arnor
Harry ends up in Middle Earth after flooing from the Headmasters Office on Dumbledore's advice for a little R&R. Ends up trapped there and with the status of something equivalent to a shadowy avenging angel.
A half Maia immortal time travelling wizard. Immensely powerful. Very mysterious. By From Out of the Shadows
, he's making his presence obvious. Grandfather to Emrys and Eirian
Emrys Ap Derfel Ap Merlin / Sir Emrys the Valiant / the Avenger
Half Dunlending, Half Rohirric. Saves Theodred's
life, because of Honor Before Reason
. Takes several truly spectacular levels in badass
- Anti-Hero: Shows shades of Type III.
- Attention Deficit... Ooh, Shiny!: shows hints of this in From Out of the Shadows.
- Author Avatar: started out as this, apparently unconsciously.
- Badass Normal: At first. Takes out a full grown Uruk with a rusty sword despite being a rather malnourished fifteen year old. Then takes out a troll with two swords.
- Battle Aura
- Berserk Button: As pointed out below, hurting his sister is a terrible idea.
- Big Brother Instinct: He's the little brother, but god help you if you've hurt his big sister. When it turns out that Wormtongue raped his sister, he beats the shit out of him, then tries to drown him. When he's about sixteen. He also requests - and gets, until Eirian unleashes her revenge - executioner duties for Wormtongue.
- Cool Shades: seeks to acquire these.
- Curbstomp Battle: receives one of these whilst training with Harry, then starts handing them out like sweets on Halloween.
- Dark and Troubled Past: Lets see... lost his mother, then his father, to Rohirric raiders, then his sister, the only person left who cared for him as part of the pact the Dunlending Chiefs made with Saruman to create his army of Uruk-hai. His childhood nicknames were 'son of a bitch' and 'half-breed', and people routinely beat him up, sometimes trying to kill him while he fended for himself. He went looking for his sister by joining Saruman's forces and is implied to have killed his first man somewhere between the ages of 13 and 15, certainly by 15, then nearly died due to poisoning, then found his sister alive but having spent the last few years being raped by Wormtongue. Really, it's a wonder the poor boy's sane.
- Deadpan Snarker: Like most of the cast.
- Defeat Means Friendship: Theodred, the guy who captured him, is just about the only person he takes orders from.
- Dual Wielding: Becomes his signature style.
- Exact Words: Worryingly good at it.
- Fire-Forged Friends: With Harry and the rest of the main cast.
- Healing Factor: in line with other superpowers.
- Half-Human Hybrid
- Heroic Lineage
- Heel-Face Turn: wasn't actually evil. Just looking for his sister.
- Heroic Lineage: grandson of Merlin and Nimue
- Honor Before Reason
- I Can't Believe A Girl Like You Would Notice Me: to Miriel
- Implausible Fencing Powers: See Instant Expert
- In the Blood
- Insecure Love Interest: again, to Miriel.
- Instant Expert: Harry gives him some swordsmanship lessons on top of what he already knew. Also a Justified Trope due to his Maia heritage.
- One-Man Army
- Only Sane Man: Like Boromir, regards most of the Fellowship and associated persons as completely insane. But thinks they're rather fun to be around.
- Person of Mass Destruction: Implied to be potentially this on a truly vast scale.
- Punch Clock Villain: when working for Saruman. If he were higher up, he'd have been a Dragon with an Agenda.
- Relative Button: For the love of all that is holy, if you value your life do not even think about hurting his sister.
- Anything that reminds him of what happened to her equally sets him off.
- Revenge: clearly a fondness for this runs in the family.
- Slap-Slap-Kiss: Seems to have this dynamic with Miriel.
- Speed Blitz: seems to be quite fond of this.
- Submissive Badass: she also seems to wear the trousers in the relationship.
- Stock Superpowers
- Took a Level in Badass: Several, even.
- Unfazed Everyman: Deals remarkably well with the sheer weirdness that follows the main cast.
- Unstoppable Rage: *cough* Wormtongue *cough*
- Used to Be a Sweet Kid: not a textbook example in that he isn't evil, but he had to grow up very fast indeed.
Eirian Ap Derfel / The Doom Singer
Emrys' sister. It takes a little bit of time, but she's just as Bad Ass
as her little brother. And like him is Part Maia
and eventually a phenomenally powerful witch.
- Bad Ass: Just as much as her brother. In some ways, even scarier. All he can do is kill you. She can make you wish she had.
- Beware the Nice Ones: Very, very much so. Ask Wormtongue and his Fate Worse Than Death.
- When Harry Potter is awed/scared by you, you're doing something right.
- Cool Big Sis
- Dark and Troubled Past: See that of Emrys, but at the age of around 14, became the only parental figure to her 8 year old brother, then was taken to Isengard to be used as a breeder for Saruman's army. She was then singled out by Wormtongue as his 'personal whore' and raped several times a week for four years.
- Magic Music: Her primary spell casting method.
- Non-Action Guy: For now. And no less scary for it.
- Promotion to Parent: implied after her father's death.
- Stock Superpowers: The more magical ones are a good deal stronger than Emrys', but in turn, his physical abilities are correspondingly greater
- Took a Level in Badass: big time. When first seen, she's an emotional wreck, for obvious reasons. Then, she grants Wormtongue a Fate Worse Than Death. By From Out of the Shadows, she's a confident young woman with magical powers including limited target telepathy.
- You Wouldn't Like Her When She's Angry