A list of many of the characters that appear throughout the world of The Dark Eye.
No player characters please.
open/close all folders
The twelve Gods & their priests
All of the main twelve gods have an Evil Counter Part
demon lord. They are listed in the order in which their months appear throughout the year, the year stars in the middle of summer
by the way.They are said to reside in Alveran an Expy
of mount Olympus.
The firstborn god of the sun, justice and aristocracy.
- Bolt of Divine Retribution: A power he grants both his priests and his messengers, the gryphons. It only harms demons and knocks out magic users though.
- Our Gryphons Are Different: They are his divine messengers, with an intense distrust towards and incredible resistance against magic. They look like Opinicus variations of Gryphons.
The secondborn goddess of battle and thunderstorms
- War God: While some people worship her as this, others consider her son Kor to be this.
- Expy: Of the Greek goddess Athena, as some depictions bear a striking resemblance and Rondra's status as goddess of war and tactics is akin to Athena's portfolio.
According to legend (their own!) they are Rondra's chosen people
- Amazon Brigade: As mentioned above.
- Bi the Way: "Amazonian Love" is the in-universe term for lesbianism, and though they are expected to occasionally lie with a worthy male (in order to get pregnant), many if not most tend to prefer female company.
- Church Militant: While not all amazons are warriors and only a few of those are priestesses, the fact that they live their lives in secluded fortresses and are known to be a powerful army, despite only numbering in the low hundreds somewhat evokes this trope.
- Glory Seeker: Almost every last one.
- Honor Before Reason: Being among Rondra's most devout followers this kind of comes with the territory.
- Offing the Offspring: According to their ancestral law, amazons had to put their newborn boys to death immediatedly. The mother of the current queen did away with that custom.
The church of Rondra
- Church Militant: To the point that each major cult within her church actually has two sets of heraldry one for peace and one for war. Lately they have been stuck on the war mode.
- Glory Seeker: Many of her priests qualify as this.
- Honor Before Reason: Quite a few of her more devout followers, so most of her priests this trope.
- Warrior Monk: While many of the other churches have specific templar-like warrior orders, the Rondra church consists entirely of warrior priests. Which means that their ingame stats are roughly equivalent to those the fighting professions.
- Weapon of Choice: Most orders which worship her have these. The average priest of Rondra will wield a specific two handed sword.
The god of the sea and storms, one of the titans and has dominion over two of the six elements, air and water.
The chruch of Efferd
- Hair-Trigger Temper: As one of the priests tennents is to live out all their emotions and not holding anything back, they can come across as such.
- Weapon of Choice: As stated above his priests use a trident, both for fishing and fighting of naval monstrosities.
The goddess of hearth and home as well as faithfulness
The chruch of Travia
- Happily Married: Unlike the other churches which have a patriarch or a matriarch, the church of Travia actually has a married couple as their leaders and being happily married is a prerequisite for the position. Most priests and priestesses get married fairly early or at least plan to.
The god of death, sleep and forgetting, he also doubles as the god of the night.
- Composite Expy: of the Greek gods Morpheus and Hades.
- Dark Is Not Evil: His temples and priests exemplify this trope, his priests are dressed black and hardly speak and his temples are usually very dark places.
- Don't Fear the Reaper: Boron portrayed as a very gentle god, whose gifts of death and the ability to forget were mercifully bestowed upon the mortal people.
The church of Boron
This church is actually devided into two churches, one's center being Punin in the Almada region of the Middlerealm and the other's center being Al'Anfa, capital of the Al'Anfanian Empire. The latter actually believe Boron to the king of the gods and are know for their use of mind altering drugs.
The goddess of wisdom and knowledge, she is also the patron of magic.
The grim god of winter and hunting, he is a titan with dominion over one of the six elements, ice.
- Defrosting Ice King: According to the myth how his daughter, Ifirn was born.
- Jerkass Gods: Some cultures who believe in him do not pray to him because in their belief he would not listen to them anyway.
The church of Firun
The young goddess of birth, children and starting new things.
The god of trade, thievery and trickery. Also doubles as the god of the night alongside Boron and guardian of the moon.
- Loveable Rogue: One of the stereotypes of both the god and his priests, at least to some.
The goddess of fertility, growth and healing, she is a titan with dominion over one of the six elements, earth.
- Expy: Of the Norse goddess Freya or the Greek goddess Demeter.
Ingerim / Angrosh
The god of fire and stone as well as craftsmanship, he is a titan with dominion over two of the six elements, fire and stone. According to legend he created the dwarves and the cyclopses.
The goddess of beauty, love, sex, wine and extacy.
other Gods & their priests worshiped by humans
Demigods and other gods that do not reside in Alveran
The carefree son of Rahja and Phex, patron of adventurers and explorers.
- Walking the Earth: Many stories say that he does this to inspire people to expand their horizons. Heaven for his priests actually consists of wandering and exploring at his side for all of their afterlife.
The church of Aves
The gentle daughter of Firun, she is the one many people pray to, to get her father to give them mercy.
- Rape as Backstory: Since she did not want to lie with Kor, apparently he took her with force. The daughter she birthed after that incident was evil and tainted because of it.
The son of Rondra and a high dragon, Kor is the god of bloodlust, bloodshed, mercenaries and war.
- Ax-Crazy: Seems to be his way
- BFS: Kor was the only god who could wield the largest sword, a female titan, who has now become a mountain range doubles as an Impossibly Cool Weapon.
- Blood Knight: Is often portrayed like this.
- Good Is Not Nice: The way both he and his priests act can barely be called good, but they do fight any demons they can find.
- Human Sacrifice: His priests sacrifice condemned criminals so that his lust for blood is sated and he will not start a new war. The Maru did and do similar things and many humans who know of this are afraid that the souls of the slain will be sent straight to a demon. Naturally they are wrong, Kor is a god, no matter how brutal.
- Jerkass Gods: The way the Achaz saw him, his other followers, the Leviatanim and Maru actually considered themselves his children and were not as afraid of him
- Names to Run Away From Really Fast: Most of the names given to him by his followers.
- The Magnificent: For a demigod he has a lot of names, the black prince of chimeras, he who walks across the battlefield laughing, the master of the nine deadly strikes, Rondras executioner, the one with the cold heart, lord of battles, the merciless one, brother of blood... and so on and so forth.
- War God: Somehow obvious isn't it?
- Blade on a Stick: The signature weapon of his priests is basically a halberd with nine blades instead of one.
- Blood Knight: Almost a requirement to become a priest of Kor.
- Church Militant: What did you expect from the god of mercenaries?
- Combat Sadomasochist: Some of his priests are this, since only a fight in which they are wounded counts as a good fight.
- Fingore: Part of the initiation into priesthood requires all new priests to cut of their left pinky.
- Good Colours Evil Colours: Red and black are the colors of the priests, just like those of the church of Borbarad, you shouldn't say that to any follower of Kor though.
- Good Is Not Nice: The way both he and his priests act can barely be called good, but they do fight any demons they can find.
- Private Military Contractors: Every priest either is a lone mercenary or leads a band of other mercenaries. They classify their fee in red and black fees, red is high and they expect to get wounded, so it will be a good fight. Black is sometimes even higher, because it is a low risk assignment and they won't be able to serve their god on the battlefield.
- Suicide Mission: Their specialty, since they are sure to bleed during one of these. They will ask a hefty sum for undertaking this nonetheless.
The son of Rajah, only worshiped by few regular people and some witches. Unlike many gods he does not empower any priests.
- Beast Man: On some nights he can walk as a man with a rams head.
- Heel-Face Revolving Door: Somewhat, he has been tempted by the demonic counterpart of his mother multiple times, the next time might be the last.
- Rape As Back Story: He raped Satuaria, the goddess worshipped by witches but was cursed by her to be turned into a ram.
The Nameless God
The God of Evil
, whose followers continually try to overthrow the established order of the twelve gods. His Name was stolen by the other gods in an attempt to limit his power.
- Sealed Evil in a Can: Well, sealed evil in the breach between creation and the outlying chaos, which is home to the demons, but still works.
- Self Harm: Crosses into An Arm and a Leg territory, since according to legend he has torn off his hand, gouged out one of his eyes and even ripped out his tongue in his attempt to free himself. Each of these appendages has become one or several evil beings in the world who try to corrupt everything in their search for his name.
The son of Hesinde and Phex, patron of scholarship and rationalism.
The young daughter of Sumu, mainly worshiped by witches.
The earth giant, she was slain by Los at the dawn of time and is presumed dead by most people, some say that she is dying instead.
- Expy: Quite obvious, but at the same time could be derived of both the Classical Mythology Gaea as well as the Norse Idea that the world is the body of a slain giant.
- Mother Nature: In some beliefs.
The son of Efferd and Rondra to some, others believe him to be his own entity. He is the god of Thorwalians (Viking Expys
) and travels the oceans in the form of a giant white whale to fight the spawn of Hrangar, the evil sea serpent.
Gods not worshiped by humans
Ruler of the Underworld of the Orcs and father of Brazoragh, he is closely tied to the red moon.His priests are the shamans of the orc tribes.
The Orc god of strength and dominance. His Animal is the Bull.His "priests" are the chieftains of the orc tribes. He does not grant them any powers.
- War God: As was to be expected from the chief deity of a barbarian civilization.
The Orc god of crafts, smithing and fire. He is simply another name under which Ingerim/Angrosh is worshipped
The Orc god of crops, plants and healing herbs.His priests are the least well treated of all of the Orc priests, they are not even considered to be part of the priestly cast.
Gods of the Achaz
The gods of the Achaz (lizard people) are called H'Ranga in their own tongue.
- Jerkass Gods: Achaz priests and shamans desperately try to avoid notice of the H'Ranga, fearing that they might destroy them or even the entire world.
The H'Ranga of the sea, her form is a giant sea serpent. She is simply Charyptoroth, as the Achaz people had worshiped her before her fall and some unknowingly serve a demon lord now
A H'Ranga in the form of a devourer(T-Rex) who is said to slumber in a lake.
- Expy: just look at the name...
Another H'Ranga in the form of a devourer(T-Rex) who loves bloodshed and war and has spawned the Leviatanim and Maru people to further his bloodshed. he is simply the aspect under which all the reptile people worshiped Kor
- War God: As he loved bloodshed this is kind of obvious.
A minor H'Ranga, a spawn of H'Szinth, who is tied to the moon. as should be quite obvious from her name, she is simply another version of Mada
The Demon Lords
All demon lords are known for forging pacts with mortals and for being the, not necessarily polar, opposite
to one of the twelve gods.
The demon lord of vengeance and tyranny.
The demon lord of bloodlust and cruelty.
- Attack! Attack! Attack!: The general tactic of most of his demons and all those with a pact who have been in it for a long time.
- Blood Knight: All those who form a pact with him will become this eventually.
The demon lord of the depths of the sea and sea monsters as well as the master of demonically twisted water.
- Fallen Angel: According to scrapes of lore found around the world, she fell while trying to take away Agrimoths dominion over the element of water. She did succeed somewhat...
- Giant Squid: All forms are considered her servants.
- Jerkass Gods: While she still was a god that was prayed to by the Achaz, now that she is a demon, things just went From Bad to Worse for the Achaz, even though they don't know that.
- Kraken and Leviathan: Her most powerful mundane beasts are the Giant Squids and sea serpents. Her most powerful demon servant, her so called son is a truly gigantic squid worthy of being called a kraken.
- The Magnificent: The merciless drowner, the deep daughter, duchess of the night-blue depths.
- Sea Monster: Almost all of them are considered her servants or even children.
The demon lord of strife and betrayal.
The demon lord of undeath and nightmares, she is the most powerful creator of nightmares and dreams.
- Beauty Is Bad: One of her appearances is said to be a beautiful woman with blood red lips.
- Dem Bones: Her other appearance. One type of her most powerful servant demons can actually improve regular skeletons way past mook status.
- The Magnificent: Preceptor of howling darkness.
- The Undead: Almost all are created by invoking her domain.
The demon lord of magic, insanity and knowledge.
The demon lord of the demonically twisted element of ice, cruelty during a hunt and the hunting of humans (or rather ones own kind) for sport or food.
The demon lord of chimeras and constant change.
- Body Horror: Quite a few of the chimeras and golems that are created with her power suffer from this.
- The Magnificent: the duchess of the swarming chaos, master of chimeras.
The demon lord of greed
- Greed: Both a reason for forging a pact with this lord and the consequence of forging the pact.
The demon lord of pestilence.
- Body Horror: Eventually very common among those who forge a pact with her.
- The Magnificent: The putrid queen of eternally lingering illness, the master of rats, flies and worms.
The demon lord of craftsmanship, he is also the master of four demonically twisted elements, fire, earth, stone and air.
- The Magnificent: The defiler of elements, subjugater of the wilderness, corrupter of craftsmanship.
The demon lord of rape.
Each of these may be a Late Arrival Spoiler
, but since the dark eye has an ongoing metaplot, this will always happen.
Dimiona of Zorgan/Oron
The princess of Arania, a powerful witch who chose to join Borbarad because she could never be the queen of her country (custom dictates that the men inherit what their parents own, while their wives will rule...) entered a pact with Belkelel
- The Baroness: Has shades of this.
- Brother-Sister Incest: Well, it's complicated, while it is her mind, it is also his wife's body and he doesn't know.
- Femme Fatale: One of the ways how she (almost) always gets what she wants
- Grand Theft Me: This is how she escaped decapitation, by switching her soul with the soul of her brothers wife.
- Karma Houdini: She escaped beheading by swapping souls with the wife of her would-be killer just before her body was killed.
- Killed Off for Real: Was beheaded by her own brother towards the end of the thirty five day war.
- she swapped her soul with the soul of his wife just before she was beheaded. She now lives as his wife and finally gets to rule the country almost the way she wanted to.
- Lady in Red: Often described as wearing a skintight, blood red and very revealing dresses.
- Really Gets Around: Though her lovers might not survive or enjoy the encounter.
- The Sociopath: If you look at her track record: tries to kill her brother so she can be queen and gets her Familiar killed in the process, goes insane and is locked up in an asylum for magic users, joins Borbarad and conquers part of her home country, unleashes a unique and powerful demon on the world who can create strange rapist-vampires, does a lot of unspeakable things for fun while she is the queen, and when she does get killed she swaps bodies with her brothers wife and now acts the part and last but not least still supports cults of her demon lord in the supposedly cleansed realm.
- Vain Sorceress: Quite a bit.
- Wicked Witch: Mostly subverted, as she looks stunning and young, but she does curse people and practice Black Magic.
Gaius Cordovan Eslam Galotta
The former court mage of the middlerealm, sent into exile and became one of the main Big Bad
s of several canon adventure modules. Has a pact with Blakharaz
An evil witch who has a pact with Belshirash. She lives well beyond the reach of most mortals far to the north in the so called eternal ice, the region she inhabits is demonically twisted, naturally.
- An Ice Person: Well an un-ice person but basically the same.
- Evil Is Deathly Cold: As a woman with a pact with the demon lord of demonic ice this kind of comes with the Territory.
- Grim Up North: While most of the north is not nice, the area she rules is even worse, considering that demons and demonic creatures roam the landscape.
- Orcus on His Throne: Has recently become this, much to the dismay of those who want to bring her to justice, since her throne is kind of far away.
An undead dragon who has a pact with Thargunitoth
- Dracolich: Exemplifies this trope.
- The Dragon: To Borbarad, bonus points for being an actual dragon!
- Giant Flyer: Naturally.
- Killed Off for Real: well as much as one can kill off a nigh invulnerable being, his soul rests in a jewel among the dwarves but his body has been destroyed.
Aristocracy: The great houses of Al'Anfa
For all of them
- Big Screwed-Up Family: Every house has its fair share of skeletons in the closet and their way of going about political or personal disputes, even within the confies of their own house is often quite... venomous.
- Feuding Families: As long as no outsiders intervene or the poor rise up all of the great houses feud amongst each other, for power and influence.
- Expy: The way the great houses go about their political businesses, they mostly bear a striking resemblance to the great family dynasties in renaissance Italy like the Borgia and the Medici.
- Manipulative Bastard: Everyone of the patriarchs or matriarchs as well as most of their kin, kind of comes with the territory.
- Wicked Cultured: Most of them, the matriarchs and patriarchs definitely count.
Not a house of the aristocracy, but rather the line of the patriarchs of the church of Boron that rule Al'Anfa
Motto: "Boron demands it!"
Patriarch: Amir Honak
Descendants of slave traders from Khunchom. Because of Rahjadans decadence they have declined in political matters.
Motto: Use the powers that would harm you.
Patriarch: Rahjadan Bonareth
The last in a long line of only sons ruling the house after the untimely death of his father
- The Ageless: As long as his picture exists, he will not age.
- Expy: His origin story is taken straight from The Picture of Dorian Gray he did have to pay a high price for his immortality physically until he managed to force others to pay the price.
- Soul Jar: His picture, in a way. It does not prevent him from being hurt, it only prevents him from aging.
Descendants of the dark skinned Utulu people, this house has become powerful through slave trading.
Motto: "Dare to embrace strife."
Matriarch: Folsina Florios
- Royally Screwed Up: almost all members of the house are missing half their ring finger on their left hand.
Motto: "Sequere Cupiditatem
(Follow the/your passion)"
Matriarch: Shantalla Karinor
- Pretentious Bosparanian Motto: As shown above.
- Technical Pacifist: both played straight and somewhat subverted, while the members of this house will usually not directly remove someone they despise, they will manipulate someone else to do it for them.
Matriarch of house Karinor
Quote: "A scrupulous career woman without the slightest fear of Boron - exactly the right woman for us. And she has a great body to boot."
- Bi the Way: She really doesn't care about her lovers sex.
- Femme Fatale / The Vamp: whether she is one or the other is for you to decide.
- Kissing Cousins: Well kissing and bedding ones uncle, but that is how she became the current matriarch.
- Really Gets Around: One of her favorite pastimes is to find one or more nice men or women to have fun with.
Mere thirty years ago they were simply a rich trading house.
Motto: "Gold is the sword that grants you power."
Patriarch: Salix Kugres
Descendants of Aristocracy, they have intermarried with house Gareth, the ruling house of the Middlerealm.
Motto: "Never disturb your enemy when he is making a mistake."
Patriarch: Goldo Paligan
Descendants of Aranian buccaneers.
Motto: "Whoever wants to stab should be ironclad."
Matriarch: Tsaiane Ulfhart
A house slowly descending into political meaninglessness through stagnation.
Matriarch: Sannah Wilmaan
Descendants of Thorwalian slave traders, well know for being ruthless and not shying away from spilling blood in order to get their way.
Motto: "You should act, not talk."
Patriarch: Nareb Emano Zornbrecht.
- Names to Run Away From Really Fast: Both the house itself and its patriarch. The quote about him and his house goes along the lines: Zornbrecht? A good man, a great man, now I really have to go!
Nareb Emano Zornbrecht
Patriarch of the house Zornbrecht.
Quote: "The secret of success is that there is none."
Spellcasters - Guild Mages
Sultan Hasrabal of Goria
The ruler of Goria, master of the six elements and headmaster of the Pentagram Academy of Rashdul.
- The Archmage: While the six grandmasters of the elements in drakonia are more knowledgable in their individual elements, Hasrabal is the most powerful human elementalist in the world.
- The Magnificent: Sahib al Sitta (master of the six), a moniker he has earned for his mastery of all six elements (an extremely difficult feat).
- The Magocracy: His sultanate, Goria is basically this.
The open minded and fiery speaker, as well as the grandmaster of fire of the council of elements.
- The Bus Came Back: He was absent for a long time and thought dead in world, but now he has returned to his former place and position.
- Playing with Fire: what do you expect from a fire-elementalist?
The brilliant archmage who by now resides in Khunchom, since he left the academy he used to teach in. Despite all his wisdom and power he has started to lose his grip on sanity since he has become the bearer of an ancient book describing the reptile people.
Saldor Foslarin / Saldor son of Sablon
The highest ranking wizard of the white guild and the leader of the academy of Sword and Staff in Gareth. Surprisingly he is also one of the few dwarven wizards in Aventuria
Spellcasters - Druids and Witches
Former court druid of Albernia, wanted man after poisoning several wells in an experiment to determine the effects of widespread panic.
- For Science!: The reason he did what he did.
- Karma Houdini: Despite poisoning several wells and killing people in the pursuit of his research, he has not been caught or been punished in any way.
- Meaningful Name: 'The Great Ruler' in ancient greek. His specialty is mind control magic.