- Star Wars – New Jedi Order and Legacy Eras
open/close all folders
New Republic/Galactic Alliance Military
Admiral Traest Kre'feyA Bothan admiral and cousin of Chief of State Borsk Fey'lya, Traest Kre'fey is an unusual Bothan: he has little time for the political spygames of the clans, focusing instead on ensuring the military is ready to respond to any threat. As such, he was one of the first military officers to truly appreciate the threat of the Yuuzhan Vong and take steps to respond to them. He stayed on the frontlines for most of the war, and acted as one of the Jedi Order's biggest allies in the military. He briefly held the post of Commander in Chief at the end of the war, but was forced to resign out of support for the Bothan's declaration of genocide against the Yuuzhan Vong.
- Attack! Attack! Attack!: He has these tendencies late in the Yuuzhan Vong War after the Bothan people decided to commit genocide against the Yuuzhan Vong.
- Big Damn Heroes: He arrives with a fleet to save people at several points throughout the series.
- Blood Knight: Borders on this when the Bothans declare genocide against the Yuuzhan Vong. The Jedi on his command staff managed to keep him from slipping too far.
- Four-Star Badass
- Military Maverick
- Put on a Bus: After the New Jedi Order series ended, he hasn't been seen or mentioned except for a brief cameo.
- Reasonable Authority Figure: One of the few military commanders who fully supported the Jedi and realized the threat the Yuuzhan Vong posed in the beginning of the New Jedi Order series.
Admiral Sien Sovv
- Desk Jockey: It's noted this was his specialty: keeping the military organized and running smoothly. While he is a very competent commander, he was unprepared for the Yuuzhan Vong and relied on others like Kre'fey and Wedge to come up with the winning tactics.
- Dropped a Bridge on Him: He was supposed to be retired, but the beginning of The Unseen Queen reveals that he was still Commander of the Galactic Alliance navy until shortly before the novel, in which he is murdered in a Killik arranged ship crash.
- Four-Star Badass
- Reasonable Authority Figure
Admiral Nek Bwua'tu
- A Father to His Men
- Awesomeness by Analysis
- Convenient Coma: He falls into a coma after being attacked by fake Jedi, just so he can't actually tell anybody said Jedi were fake. Becomes exploited after he recovers, providing a good cover for meetings of the counter-conspiracy.
- Four-Star Badass: He isn't afraid to lead from the front, and he's proven himself in hand-to-hand combat several times.
- The Strategist
Admiral Cha Niathal
A ambitious Mon Calamari admiral, Niathal conspired with Jacen to overthrow Cal Omas during the Second Galactic Civil War and take control of the government. However, she soon found out that Jacen had become Darth Caedus and was becoming completely unhinged and committing war crimes, disgusting Niathal and making her ally with the Jedi Order to stop him. After the war ended, she retired to Dac, although many wanted her to be prosecuted for her collaboration with Jacen. When charges were brought against her, she committed suicide rather than face them.
- A Mother to Her Men: Her one redeeming trait is that she values her men. It doesn't make her any less sleazy, though, and it's subverted when two thirds of the GA military prefers an insane Sith Lord to her.
- Black Shirt: The moment she appears, you know she's going to launch a coup, and has no problem with what Jacen is doing (initially). She's that transparent. Jacen notices, and recruits her into his scheme.
- Dirty Coward: Her suicide comes off as this. She couldn't even face a reprimand, despite collaborating with and ruling as a dictator. Compare this to the highly public trial for Tahiri Veila. And she didn't kill herself.
- Driven to Suicide: After political pressure forced Daala to bring charges against her despite a previous deal, Niathal
- Dropped a Bridge on Her
- Enemy Mine: With Luke Skywalker's Jedi Coalition
- Epic Fail: All of her plots eventually end up like this.
- Evil Counterpart: This woman is basically an evil Ackbar.
- The Generalissimo: Who made the mistake of sharing power with a Sith Lord.
- General Failure: The Jedi usually have to save her sauce once she breaks from Jacen, and he later crushes her.
- Heel–Face Turn
- Jerkass: She willingly destroys galactic democracy for her own ambitions. She becomes nicer once she realizes how badly she's screwed up.
- My God, What Have I Done?: When she realizes how evil Jacen is and how much damage she did helping him gain power.
- Our Chiefs of State Are Different: Chief of State Scheming and Chief of State Buffoon. She's a horrible and utterly incompetent politician.
- The Starscream: To Cal Omas
- Unwitting Pawn: While she always had ambition, Lumiya influenced her through the Force to act on it in ways she never normally would have.
Admiral Gavin Darklighter
Related to Biggs Darklighter, Luke's Mauve Shirt friend from A New Hope. He debuted in the X-Wing Series as a member of Rogue Squadron, and worked his way up to leader of Rogue squadron during the New Jedi Order. He became a fleet commander by the time of the Dark Nest Trilogy, and in Fate of the Jedi he became the leader of the Galactic Alliance Space Marines as an Admiral.
- Ace Pilot: He's not only a Rogue Squadron veteran, he was Rogue Leader during the Vong War.
- Asskicking Equals Authority: Gavin's authority and respect stems from him being one of the best pilots in the galaxy and a skilled tactician.
- Badass Beard
- Colonel Badass: During the Yuuzhan Vong War, as Rogue Leader.
- Farm Boy: He's from Tatooine.
- Four-Star Badass: Becomes an Admiral by Legacy of the Force.
- Interspecies Romance: With Asyr Sei'lar.
- Naïve Newcomer: When he was first introduced.
- Reasonable Authority Figure: He grows into this, thanks to the mentoring and examples of Wedge and Tycho.
Admiral Sallinor ParovaAn ambitious female human admiral, Parova joined the Lecersen Conspiracy in order to take power as Chief of Naval Operations and purge the military of non-humans.
- False Friend: To Daala.
- Fantastic Racism: After Bwau'tu is hospitalized, Parova mocks him as alien scum, and later plans to make a Fallen captain who serves her loyaly into her gardener once the conspiracy wins and they are able to put non-humans into their "proper place".
- Character Death: By the Lost Tribe, who pin the blame on Jedi.
General Eldo Davip
General Merratt JaxtonA male human, Jaxton was the Chief of Starfighter Command in 43 ABY and a member of the Imperial-Alliance Conspiracy.
- Driven to Suicide: Forced to commit suicide by General Thaal, who uses him as a scapegoat when the conspiracy falls apart.
- False Friend: To Daala.
Commodore Turk Brand
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: He's very abrasive, but also a dedicated and competent commander who cares about the lives of his men and civilians.
Captain Syal Antilles
The eldest daughter of Wedge Antilles and Iella Wessiri, she followed her fathers footsteps into the the Galactic Alliance Starfighter Corps, flying under a false name so she would not be treated differently due to her heirtige. Caught in the middle of the Second Galactic Civil War, Syal attempted to uphold her oaths of loyalty to the Galactic Alliance while it increasingly became a despotic state.
- Ace Pilot: She is the only pilot in all the Star Wars canon who fought Luke Skywalker to a standstill in a dogfight. Not Rebellion-era Luka Skywalker, but Jedi Grand Master Luke Skywalker. This was immediately recognized by all her squadmates as a feat beyond comprehension.
- Guy in Back: Not her, but she has a Sullustan gunner named Zueb Zan when flying an Aleph-class starfighter.
- Properly Paranoid: Being raised by Wedge and Iella will make a girl like this. She always carries a hidden blaster on her, which proves useful when a Corellian spy tries to turn her.
- Sole Survivor: Her and Zueb were the only members of their squadron to survive the firing of Centerpoint at the Second Fleet.
- Star-Crossed Lovers: Her fiancé Tiom Rordan was killed when Centerpoint was used to destroy the Galactic Alliance Second Fleet.
Captain Kral Nevil
- Ace Pilot
- The Captain: Of the Anakin Solo.
- Happily Married
- Number Two: To Gavin Darklighter when he was in Rogue Squadron.
- Number Two: To Nek Bwua'tu.
- Revenge Before Reason: After Bwua'tu was attacked and put into a coma by what appeared to be two insane Jedi, Asokaji wanted to launch an attack on them immediately. Even Daala, who hates the Jedi, didn't believe it was them and had to talk him out of it. He calmed down after a while and realized he was wrong in suspecting the Jedi.
- Undying Loyalty: To Bwua'tu.
Anni CapstanA female human pilot in Rogue Squadron who was Jaina's first wingmate. They quickly became friends, but Anni was shot down and killed during the Battle of Ithor.
- Ace Pilot
- Forgotten Fallen Friend: Averted: Jaina mentions her throughout the rest of the series and beyond, and her death begins Jaina's hardening and increasing cynicism.
- Mauve Shirt
- Sacrificial Lamb
Admiral BylsmaA human fleet officer in command of a mobile space station above the planet Dibrook, Bylsma became an ally of Nina and Kaye Galfridian after they assisted him in defending his station against a Yuuzhan Vong attack with their captured Yuuzhan Vong slaveship. He broke ranks with the New Republic after coming to believe that they cared nothing for the people of the Outer Rim and joined the Outer Rim Alliance.
New Republic/Galactic Alliance Politicians
Human Senator for the Alderaan remnant population after Leia stepped down, Omas served with distinction as a fighter pilot during the Rebellion. He was one of the Jedi Order's key allies on the New Republic Advisory Council, and with their help was elected to the post of Chief of State after Borsk Fey'lya was killed during the Fall of Coruscant during the Yuuzhan Vong War. He proved a capable leader, helping guide the newly formed Galactic Alliance to victory over the invaders. However, the numerous political interests that formed after the war and pressure they put on the government led to Omas making many compromises and a shortened temper, and his relationship with the Jedi Order soured until Luke Skywalker reaffirmed the Orders allegiance to the Galactic Alliance during the Swarm War. During the Second Galactic Civil War, Omas was accused of becoming a dictator by the Confederation, and he was eventually outted by a coup orchestrated by Darth Caedus and Admiral Cha Niathal. While under house arrest, Ben Skywalker attempted to fake his death after Caedus framed Omas for the death of Mara Skywalker, but Omas forced Ben to kill him so that Caedus would have a harder time seeing through Ben's deceptions and plans to kill him.
- Doomed Homeworld
- Face Death with Dignity
- Fisher King: After he died, the Galactic Alliance went to hell. Luke Skywalker even said it died with him.
- Reasonable Authority Figure: During the New Jedi Order. Afterwards, not so much, but he still had his moments.
- Redemption Equals Death: While he wasn't evil, his actions led to a lot of the problems in Legacy of the Force. To make up for this, he makes Ben kill him instead of faking his death when Ben attempted to get close to enough to Caedus to kill him because he believed that the Sith Lord would see through Ben's lies if he didn't really kill him.
- Retired Badass: Served as a fighter pilot during the Rebellion before entering politics.
- Taking You with Me: He began wearing a bomb with hopes to do this with Caedus after being placed under house arrest, as he expected Caedus would come himself to kill him. He's disappointed when Ben shows up instead, but reworks his plan in hopes that his death will let Ben kill Caedus.
- Took a Level in Jerkass: Between the New Jedi Order and the Dark Nest Trilogy, due to the pressures of the office and rebuilding after the Yuuzhan Vong Invasion.
- The Unseen: His physical appearance was not depicted or described with great detail for years, becoming somewhat of a running joke amongst fans.
The New Repulbic Senator from Kuat during the Yuuzhan Vong war. She believed the invaders would win and served as their spy, but her deception was revealed shortly before Coruscant fell. She then became one of Tsavong Lah's advisors, all the while trying desperately to escape the Yuuzhan Vong before one of them killed her. Viqi eventually killed herself rather than be captured by the Jedi or killed by the Yuuzhan Vong.
- Affably Evil: A consumate politician, she's always polite and composed even to her enemies; by her last few appearances, this has begun to slip, thanks more to Villainous Breakdown than anything.
- Better to Die Than Be Killed
- Big Bad Wannabe
- Chronic Back Stabbing Disorder
- Corrupt Politician
- Disney Villain Death: In Rebel Stand.
- Early-Bird Cameo: She's first mentioned in a throwaway line alongside a bunch of other Senators in the Dark Tide duology. In the following Agents of Chaos duology she becomes a major character and is revealed as a villain.
- Evil Counterpart: To Leia
- It's All About Me: The root of her evil. She's not a particularly cruel person, but will do anything to make sure she maintains her level of power and comfort.
- Les Collaborateurs
- The Mole
- The Quisling
- Rich Bitch
- Smug Snake
- Villainous Breakdown: After being exposed as a traitor, she goes into one that lasts several books as she tries to frantically convince Tsavong Lah that she's still an asset.
- Villain with Good Publicity: For several books after being introduced.
Fyor RodanHuman Senator from Commenor who is vehemently anti-Jedi. Lost the race for Chief of State to Cal Omas midway through the Yuuzhan Vong War and resigned from his post, eventually becoming Prime Minister of Commenor.
- Beware The Jedi: He sees every move the Jedi make as a plot against the New Republic and his power, believing that Luke wants nothing more than to take over the government. Even years later he still distrusts the Jedi and takes the Second Galactic Civil War as a chance to take his planet out of the Galactic Alliance partially out of his hatred towards them.
- Jerkass Has a Point: Luke concedes that some of his criticism is legitimate. However, even after the Jedi take it into account when they reform the council he still acts like an asshole.
- Sore Loser: Granted, Lando and Talon DID actually blackmail his supporters but it was on their own initiative and it's kind of his own damn fault for attracting so many corrupt individuals that could be blackmailed.
- Unwitting Pawn: To Lumiya during the Second Galactic Civil War, who manipulated him into siding with the Confederacy.
PwoeQuarren Senator representing the species of Dac, Pwoe served on the Advisory Council during the Yuuzhan Vong War. After the death of Borsk Fey'lya, Pwoe attempted to seize power, but was ignored by the rest of the government and left disgraced after attempting to surrender to the Pace Brigade.
- Ambition Is Evil
- Beware The Jedi: So much that he had connections to the Peace Brigade during the Yuuzhan Vong War.
- Only One Name
- Too Dumb to Live: Pwoe really thought he could just claim the title Chief of State and try to make a peace treaty with the Vong through the Peace Brigade. He's lucky he only got captured by the New Republic forces and didn't get sacrificed by the Vong.
Niuk NiuvSullustan Senator during the Yuuzhan Vong War, Niuv was a member of the Advisory Council and an anti-Jedi politician.
- Beware The Jedi: He has zero trust in the Jedi, even after Cal Omas is elected and the Jedi lead the counterattack against the Vong. He remains the only anti-Jedi Senator on the Advisory Council by the end of the war as a concession to the anti-Jedi Senate minority.
- Wild Card: Allied with neither the pro or anti-Jedi faction, he was usually a swing vote on the Advisory Council during the Yuuzhan Vong war.
G'vli G'SilA human Senator and head of the Galactic Alliance's Security Council during the Second Galactic Civil War. He suggested the formation of the Galactic Alliance Guard to deal with terrorist activity on Corucscant, offering the position of commander of the GAG to Mara Skywalker and then Jacen Solo after she refused. Following the coup by Jacen and Admiral Niathal, G'sil ceased his support of the twos efforts.
- Alliterative Name
- My God, What Have I Done?: After Jacen and Niathal carry out their coup, which was only made possible by G'sil's early political support for the two of them.
- Well-Intentioned Extremist: He thought the GAG, while possibly skirting the edges of legality, was necessary, since terrorist activity was starting to occur on Coruscant. Unfortunately, he didn't foresee what Jacen would do with it.
- What Happened to the Mouse?
- Badass Normal: He survived torture at the hands of a Sith Lord and Abeloth for two months.
- Big Good: Ends the series as Chief of State, and is probably the first since Leia to honestly be deserving of the post.
- The Consigliere: To Daala and Abeloth. The latter was against his will.
- Corrupt Politician: Completely averted. He's an honest politician through and through.
- Deadpan Snarker
- The Dragon: To Daala, in a Punch Clock Villain sort of way.
- Hidden Depths: Turns out that Dorvan's a master sabbacc player. Everyone underestimates him and he wins millions of credits in a celebrity tournament. However, the fact that a glorified secretary had the million-credit buy-in in the first place should've tipped someone off.
- Hypercompetent Sidekick: His extensive multitasking and maneuvering abilities are the reason Daala's administration didn't fall apart a whole lot sooner.
- Only Sane Man: He's almost the only member of the government during Fate of the Jedi that is actually trying to fix things rather than make them worse.
- Our Chiefs of State Are Different: Chief of State Personable.
- Punch Clock Villain: When working for Daala.
- Reasonable Authority Figure: Becomes Chief of State at the end of Apocalypse. He's probably the first truly competent and fair-minded leader the Alliance has had since NJO!Omas or Leia.
- The Good Chancellor
- The Stoic
- Token Good Teammate: Of Daala's administration.
Haydnat TreenThe senator of Kuat in 43 ABY, Haydnat helps form a conspiracy of Galactic Alliance and Imperial politicians and military leaders to oust Chief of State Daala and Head of State Jagged Fel to reunite the galaxy under the Empire.
- Big Bad Wannabe
- The Chessmaster: A pretty good one too. She only fails because her competition is several thousand Sith and an Eldritch Abomination.
- Corrupt Politician
- Expy: Of Viqi Shesh, only older.
- Karma Houdini: She manages to retire without anyone catching on to her plot after it starts to fall apart, getting away with several murders.
- Rich Bitch
- Wicked Cultured
Fost BramsinThe elderly human Senator of Coruscant in 43 ABY, Bramsin had been in and out of the office since Imperial times. He joined the Lecersen Conspiracy becuase he hoped it would restore order to the galaxy. He is murdered by Haydnat Treen when the conpiracy falls apart and she worries that he might talk due to his worsening mental condition.
- He Knows Too Much
- Totalitarian Utilitarian: Flavor 3: he thinks that old school Imperialism will bring peace and happiness to the galaxy.
- Well-Intentioned Extremist
Luewet WuulThe Sullustan Senator in 44 ABY, Wuul is the chairman of the subcommittee on mineral taxation, a friend of Lando Calrissian, and a supporter of the Jedi Order.
New Republic / Gallactic Alliance Intelligence
Galactic Alliance Guard
Captain Lon Shevu
- Born Detective
- Character Death: By Tahiri while torturing him with Force lightning.
- The Dragon: To Jacen / Caedus.
- The Mentor: To Ben.
- The Mole: For the Jedi and Admiral Niathal.
Captain Heol Girdun
- Ambition Is Evil
- Black Shirt
- The Brute: To Jacen / Darth Caedus.
- Cold-Blooded Torture: His specialty.
- The Spymaster: Placed in charge of Galactic Alliance Inteligence by Darth Caedus.
Commander TwizzlHuman captain of the Anakin Solo, Twizzl served as Darth Caedus' fleet commander. He came to be disgusted by the actions of his commander, but was accidently killed by Ben Skywalker before being able to resign.
- The Captain
- Heel–Face Door-Slam: Accidental death before his resignation.
- What the Hell, Hero?: When Darth Caedus gives orders to fire on Kashyyyk, Twizzl is disgusted and only obeys after Caedus threatens him, and never stops his protests.
Lieutenant Jori Lekauf
Patra TebutA human officer aboard the Anakin Solo, Tebut impressed Darth Caedus and became one of his most trusted officers. After accidently allowing a Jedi strike team board the vessel, Caedus choked her to death with the Force.
Galactic Alliance Security
Captain Oric Harfard
Lieutenant Javon Thewles