Star Wars Crucible
is a novel written by Troy Denning
and released in July 9, 2013. It takes place after Fate of the Jedi
and X-Wing: Mercy Kill
. It stars Luke Skywalker, Han Solo, and Leia Organa-Solo.
Han and Leia are at this one cantina called the Red Ronto, and waiting for Lando Calrissian to meet them and discuss the pirate problem in the Chiloon Rift where Lando had established his latest asteroid refinery. Naturally the meet does not go as planned. They do find out that the giant conglomerate Galactic Exploitation Technologies (GET) is involved in this, and inform Luke, who decides to look into it.
Tropes in this book:
- Bad-Guy Bar: The Red Ronto cantina. Han feels that it reminds him of the cantina back on Tatooine all those years ago.
- Big Bad Duumvirate: Marvid Qreph and Craitheus Qreph, who are brothers.
- Book Ends: The story starts in the Red Ronto cantina, and it ends there.
- Chickification: Mirta Gev used to be a warrior strong and competent enough to fight a Sith Lord and live. Here, she's shown as being barely competent enough to be a chief of security for the Qrephs.
- Dragon: Savara Raine (Vestara Khai under a false identity) and Mirta Gev hold the roles to Marvid and Craitheus respectively.
- Dragon with an Agenda: Vestara wants the Qrephs empire for herself. The Qreph brothers are very aware of this.
- From Nobody to Nightmare/Rags to Riches: The Qreph brothers
- Fun with Acronyms: Galactic Exploitation Technologies goes by the acronym "GET".
- The Hero Dies: Subverted Trope. Luke and Leia disappear into the Force, but Han brings them back by saying their names.
- Informed Ability: Marvid Qreph and Craitheus Qreph are Columi and are said to be hyperintelligent. However, this is never really shown.
- Craitheus in particular is really bad at this. While Marvid bounces back and forth in doing intelligent things, Craitheus continually gets overly aggressive and makes choices that sabotage their long term plans - best exemplified in chapters that focus on Marvid.
- Mega Corp.: The Galactic Exploitation Technologies is a giant conglomerate looking to rob the business of the independent miners.
- A Million is a Statistic: over thirty thousand of Lando's employees die in a single (almost successful) attempt to kill the Solos. They get forgotten rather fast after the initial shock.
- Mood Whiplash: At some points, it seems to be a light-hearted adventured. At other points, it seems to be a life and death commando mission filled with terrorist acts and other atrocities.
- Motive Decay: All of Vestara's nuanced motives from the previous series have been pretty much replaced by textbook Sith backstab-and-conquer behavior.
- Say My Name: Han brings Luke and Leia back out of the Force by doing this.
- Violence is the Only Option: This trope appears. Then again, it's Star Wars, where very little is resolved without resorting to violence.