Characters: Problem Sleuth
open/close all folders
A hard-boiled, charismatic detective, diplomat, and de facto
leader of Team Sleuth.
Problem Sleuth's rival turned friend
, Ace Dick is a rough-around-the-edges hero with little imagination and a big gun.
- Action Hero: Via his high Vim; Enough to possibly count as a deconstruction if the comic took itself seriously.
- Attack Hello: >Punch * in snout to establish superiority.
- Big Eater: His stomach capacity increases with each Level Up.
- Cloning Blues: Inverted. He becomes a bit envious of Zombie Ace Dick taking his place in the spotlight when the gambit schemas start coming out.
- Dance Battler: Supplements his more mundane attacks with a weaponized Truffle Shuffle. Later performances with his copies increase its potency exponentially.
- Driven to Suicide: During his Game of Life, after the loss of his family, his empire, what little remained of his possessions, and finally finding the Suicide Stump.
- Fat Idiot: He lacks imagination or the patience for puzzles. He's a more successful detective than Problem Sleuth, but that doesn't say much.
- Kevlard: Auto-Parry: Shot in the Gut.
- Locked in a Room: He's in the same situation as Problem Sleuth when introduced.
- Made of Iron / Stone Wall: "Dodges" by taking attacks head-on. See Kevlard.
- More Dakka: Wields a tommy gun, then upgrades to a belt-fed machine gun.
- Mr. Vice Guy
- Freudian Trio: Id all the way.
- Private Detective
- Stout Strength
- Ugly Guy, Hot Wife: With Wifehearst.
- World's Strongest Man: Only the strongest man in the universe can shut the door to the Afterlife or lift the Megaton Key.
An imaginative, polite, but socially awkward detective who teams up with the others against his better judgment. He's instrumental in saving and creating
- All-Powerful Bystander: As Godhead Pickle Inspector, except when he stitches the universe back together with a length of electrical wire.
- Ambiguous Disorder: Easily distracted, stares intensely at seemingly random things, bumblingly polite in social situations, exceedingly skilled at puzzles and logic problems.
- Ascend to a Higher Plane of Existence: Godhead Pickle Inspector. He sticks around afterwards, but is only capable of fondly regarding creation.
- Attention Deficit... Ooh, Shiny!: Auto-Parry: Pickle Distraction
- Awesome but Impractical: As Tootsie Roll Frankenstein. Ridiculously strong, but very, very, painfully slow.
- Chekhov's Skill: Puzzle games, and oh does it ever come in handy.
- Cloudcuckoolander: See Ambiguous Disorder
- Gentleman and a Scholar: Not the worldly kind of gentleman, but a gentleman nevertheless.
- Improbable Piloting Skills: Once he takes the helm of The Chicago Overcoat and gets a hang of it.
- Locked in a Room: Noticing a theme here?
- Mighty Glacier: Taken Up to Eleven as Tootsie Roll Frankenstein.
- Me's a Crowd: Every particle (or, rather, Part-Pickle) in the universe is in fact a tiny Pickle Inspector.
- Mr. Imagination: He's much better at it than even Problem Sleuth, to the point where one of his imaginary selves ascends to godhood.
- Neutral No Longer: Subverted with Godhead Pickle Inspector. When the fabric of the universe is ripped in half, it looks like he's going to act to help our heroes... Except all he does is just sew it back together, and go about minding his own business.
- Freudian Trio: PI's an obvious Superego.
- Private Detective
- Science Hero: In spirit, though his high Imagination fuels magic in actual practice.
- Squishy Wizard
- Thousand-Yard Stare: His trademark Disconcerting Ogle. Not due to trauma of any kind; He's just like that.
- Trademark Favorite Food: Tootsie Rolls, though not to the same degree of obsession as Problem Sleuth and his candy corn.
A female version of Problem Sleuth drawn into the game via the Quest of Spirit.
Pickle Inspector's female counterpart. Suffers from the vapors.
- Distaff Counterpart: To Pickle Inspector.
- Fainting: Though she never actually faints, she's introduced as the stereotypical fainting woman — constantly suffering from a "case of the vapors" and having to keep her nervousness level down. This is used to set up some wordplay, for one of her weapons is a can of flammable paint stripper — a literal case of the vapors.
- Flaming Sword: Her finishing move is throwing a flaming knife.
- Kill It with Fire: She obtains a can of paint stripper/flamethrower, which becomes a staple of her attacks.
- Knife Nut
- Size Shifter: Unlike the Scale Bodice, the Aspect Corset changes its wearer's aspect ratio from tall and thin to short and fat and back.
- Took a Level in Badass: Around the same time as Hysterical Dame.
Fiesta Ace Dick
A giant, red Ace Dick with superhuman strength and durability, born from drinking distilled hot sauce.
- Captain Ethnic: Defied. He starts out with a poncho and sombrero but quickly changes back into his normal clothes, aware that "this silly ethnic shit is probably going to get really old really fast." Later, he begins to use the trope by making others intimidated whenever they intend to bring up his ethnicity.
- Cross-Popping Veins
- Hulking Out: After drinking some homemade Five Alarm Hot Sauce, this Ace Dick turns red and obtains Latin Vim.
- Nigh Invulnerable: His Frijole Aegis is nearly impossible to deplete in a feasible manner.
- Power-Up Full Color Change: He turns red upon eating the Five Alarm Hot Sauce.
- Super Strength
Zombie Ace Dick
Although undead, this stupid, decaying version of Ace Dick remains firmly on the side of the heroes.
The Mafioso mastermind responsible for locking the heroes in their office building.
The matronly paintress who runs Whore Island's Sleazy Brothel in the Sky.
Demonhead Mobster Kingpin
Mobster Kingpin's imaginary self who descends to demonhood and threatens the universe.
The Infinite Summation Honeybee Professor
Provides helpful tips to the player and oversees production of the Jocose Honey that powers the characters' Comb Raves.
A team of ne'er-do-well jazz musicians, consisting of ringleader Spades Slick, master planner Diamonds Droog, brawny safecracker Hearts Boxcars, and Clubs Deuce
. They first appeared in the non-canon Problem Sleuth
donation comics, and later went on to play an important role in Homestuck
The Four Heroes
A group of adventurers assembled by the Four Kingdoms: the Weasel Warrior, the Elf Mage, the Hog Cleric, and the Clown Bard. They ultimately achieve very little.
The polite, games-obsessed
overseer of the Afterlife.
Wifehearst and Sonhearst/Bathearst
Ace Dick's wife and son, obtained during a game of Life he plays with Death.