open/close all folders
Adam BladeThe only successful result of an experiment by the Japanese government and the 666 Committee to create a clone of "The Second." Spends his time hiding out in a church, wearing the jacket of a priest even though he has no knowledge of the bible, the priesthood, or anything outside of fighting really. His only weakness is his admitted love of little girls. Adam Blade has the Zero Fragment, which gives him the ability to memorize any power he is hit with and then use it on his own.
- Ax-Crazy: Oh god yes. He'd easily be the villain too based on his fights.
- Anti-Hero: Type III or Type IV. He's pretty much universally recognized as the strongest Needless and the one who will bring humanity to salvation, but he abuses his powers and the perks they give him for all they're worth and is generally a brutish asshole.
- And This Is For...: Did this to Setsuna; he gave her a series of strikes for his closer friends, grouped everyone together for another round, and then lightly tapped her on the arm for Cruz.
- Badass: Not as hammy as he could be, but he lives up to this trope.
- Bishōnen: Was definitely this when he was younger. Nowadays he tends to look much more brutal, though he still occasionally shows signs of it when his sunglasses are off.
- Cannibalism Superpower: Devours the invading angel and awakens into a God.
- Cool Shades: Lost them for a while after Arclight blew everything up, but regained them by the Eve's Story arc.
- Crystal Dragon Jesus: He's supposed to be a Messianic Archetype, but he's more of an anti-anti antichrist
- Clone Jesus: Of the original Adam Blade aka Saten
- Fusion Dance: With Eve in the final chapter, complete with Gender Bender
- Gender Bender: With Eve, resulting in a female version of Adam with Eve's body figure
- A God Am I: Like Saten and Arclight, which leads to open the gate to where the Angels are.
- Heroic Comedic Sociopath: Has very little empathy for others and is incredibly violent and self centered, though he tends to clean up his act quite a bit when the situation gets more serious.
- Huge Guy, Tiny Girl: Eve comes up to only about half of his torso.
- It's Okay If It's You: How he feels towards any cute Wholesome Crossdresser. His reasoning? Cute = Okay, doesn't matter if it's a guy.
- Jerkass: Exclusively refers to his allies as minions, sexually harasses the female ones and treats the male ones like garbage.
- Lolicon: Wholesome. He even has a preference; nude with socks. Eventually it turns into "naked with gloves".
- Mega Manning: His Needless Ability allows him to copy the abilities of other Needless after observing them once. While he perfectly replicates them, certain abilities, like Eve's shapeshifting, are too taxing on his body for him to pull off as effectively as the original user.
- Mr. Fanservice: He's good looking and has a ridiculously chiseled physique, which he shows off in glorious detail in the first opening sequence.
- Non-P.O.V. Protagonist: Indisputably the main character of the series, though the story is told from Cruz's perspective. As a result, we almost never get to hear his thoughts or learn the reasoning behind his actions and he overall remains a pretty big enigma.
- Nun Too Holy: Why Cruz calls him "Father" still is beyond anyone.
- Physical God: Awakens to his godly power after devouring a angel in chapter 112.
- Power Perversion Potential: The first use he makes of his Godly power? Why turn Cruz into a girl! Then after that, resurrect Solva and Seto... NAKED!
- In the last chapter... It seems he also make his dream into a reality as well.
- Sensitive Guy and Manly Man: Manly Man to Cruz's Sensitive Guy.
- Tsundere: A type A towards Eve, Cruz, and his other allies to a lesser extent.
- Unsettling Gender Reveal: Got this from Cruz. Not that he cared.
- Used to Be a Sweet Kid: Implied to be Saten and Cruz's fault for making him a pervert, but he was already getting to be the Blade we know in the Eve's Story Arc.
- Adorably Precocious Child: Before he started fighting Testaments.
Eve Nueschwanstein / KarinAdam Blade's only real friend in this world and terrible with remembering anyone else's name. Eve has the "Doppelganger" ability, which allows her to morph her body into any shape or form. She can heal herself and others from most damage and impersonate other people, but this power is offset by a constant need for calories to balance the drain this power puts on her body. In reality, she is the younger sister of Gido's assitant Kasumi. She was made part of the Eva Project in order to ensure her survival as she would have died by the Age of ten if she didn't. After a accident that would slowly kill Kasumi, her sister gave half of her brain to her while Blade gave a part of his to her later.
- Action Girl
- Badass in Distress: Got this on her three times; once in the past when she melted and became just a brain, another time during the Simeon Arc (which actually caused the heroes to go there in the first place), and one more when she began to melt again and had to get Eden's Seed injected into her.
- Bare Your Midriff
- Brainwashed and Crazy: When she was suffering from Black Attraction.
- Deuteragonist: The most important character in the series after Blade.
- The Ditz: She's horrible with names, falls for obvious traps and can't keep up with exposition at all.
- Fusion Dance: With Adam in the final chapter
- Healing Factor: Thanks to Doppelganger, she can heal anyone. This skill is handy, as she's the only medic on the team.
- Losing Your Head: Got her head ripped off by Gido.
- Morality Pet: Pretty much the only person Blade cares about besides himself. Whenever her life is in danger, Blade is at his most heroic.
- Ms. Fanservice
- Panty Shot: Suffers this a lot less than the Pretty Girl Squad, but she has her moments.
- This Is a Drill: Main weapon.
- Voluntary Shapeshifting: Only with enough calories, though.
Cruz SchildThe only survivor of the short lived Resistance movement in the Black Spot, Cruz is a normal person who lacks any Needless ability. So he makes up for it by talking to and analyzing other Needless. His ability as a Needless allows to repel any attack with his hand and is named Shield of Aegis.
- Accidental Misnaming: My name is not Yamada, it's Cruz!
- Action Survivor
- Adorably Precocious Child
- Attractive Bent-Gender: Just about every member of the cast is attracted to Cruz when he is Dragged into Drag and the whole cast wants for Cruz to stay a girl after he undergoes a Gender Bender
- Awesomeness by Analysis
- Chew Toy
- Dragged into Drag (especially during and after the St. Rose Academy arc)
- Even the Guys Want Him: Blade certainly likes Trap Cruz, even when he's young.
- Gender Bender: Is turned by Blade into a girl after he acquires his powers as a girl.
- Heroic B.S.O.D.: Upon learning that his sister was a traitor.
- Heroic Sacrifice: Constantly tries to pull this and even gives sappy little lines when he thinks he's about to die. Thankfully, he hasn't fallen yet.
- I Am Not Left-Handed: Revealed to be a Needless as of chapter 100.
- ForeShadowing: In order: he stopped his sister from killing him (not Arclight's orders), the PF Zero Blast was stated to have the power to kill anyone not a Needless that was caught in the blast, he stopped a Testament without even touching it, blocked deadly rain, and time after time he not only stayed away from any near death status, save for one time, but he had somehow survived any attack meant to kill him, like Setsuna's slap that should've broken his neck twice.
- Only Sane Man: Up until the Eve's Story Arc, where Saten and he pass this back and forth.
- Panty Shot: Started getting these after corss-dressing and was racking up as much points as the Pretty Girl Squad.
- Sensitive Guy and Manly Man: Sensitive Guy to Blade's Manly Man.
- Supporting Protagonist: Despite being the central viewpoint character, the series is really about Blade and Eve.
- Tritagonist: Despite being the viewpoint character, his plotline is clearly secondary to Blade and Eve's.
- Took a Level in Badass: After discovering his power.
Gido (a.k.a. Dr. Rikudou Gid) Adam ZA scientist who worked on the project that ended up creating Adam Blade and Adam Arclight, he generally tags along with the group and tries to care for Adam Blade but usually gets shoved into the background. However, he reveals that he is in fact the leader of the 666 committee.
- Bald of Evil
- Evil All Along
- Fountain of Youth: Once he activates his Adam powers his body becomes more youthful.
- In the Back: Stabs Blade from behind to reveal his role as the leader of Triple 6.
- Love Makes You Evil: His desire to save Kasumi has lead him to join the 666 committee he hated.
- The Mole
- Power at a Price: The price of activating his Adam power is that his body will eventually fall apart. Hasn't happened yet though.
Teruyama MomijiThe hot-blooded needless with the ability to create and toss large balls of fire at his opponents. He bears a grudge against Adam Arclight, but accidentally gets into fights with Adam Blade over a case of mistaken identity.
- A God Am I: Teruyama is very prideful of his abilities, but never claims he's anything close to a god. Played straight with his clone, however.
- Back from the Dead: Was resurrected as a clone and then brought back as the original.
- Brainwashed and Crazy: His clone.
- Came Back Strong: Both his clone and the original as they bear Stigmata.
- The One Guy: At the end of the series, Gido and Saten are both dead and Blade and Cruz have both undergone gender bending, making him the only male on the main team.
- Playing with Fire
DiskA robot that contains many centuries of knowledge stored in the form of a little, white-haired girl. An information broker who joins Blade and his crew early on.
- Covert Pervert: Initially. After becoming nothing but a head for a while and regaining her body she stopped hiding it.
- More Dakka: Along with BFG, she had once use this.
- Mr. Exposition: More or less her main role.
- Panty Shot: Though she has her moments, her dress is long enough to usually prevent this. As well, since she's not a fighter, her clothing is rarely ever torn.
- The Smart Guy
- Robot Girl: Apparently a Cyborg, but she's managed to survive with only her head.
SetoOne of Adam Blade's old comrade's who wields a BFS and calls herself a "shinigami" (God of Death). She has a love of money. Her Needless power is Graviton, the ability to manipulate gravity.
- Anti-Hero: Type IV. She's not too bad of a person, but she's completely selfish and greedy and is willing to do whatever it takes to make a quick buck.
- Gravity Master
- Greed: Big time, yet downplayed. Her dream is to be rich, and the only reason she met Kana was because she was promised money. Even then though, she barely mentions being greedy during her appearances, and you'd only know this if you read Chapter 0.
- Shinigami: Subverted. She is actually playing that role base from her powers itself.
SolvaAnother little girl and comrade of Adam Blade who dreams of being an Evil Overlord of Black Spot one day. Her Needless ability is "Magnetic World," which can be used to attract or repel objects and people alike.
- Anti-Hero: Type V
- Bait the Dog: Cute, up until she reveals her Fragment.
- Hollywood Magnetism
- Magnetism Manipulation: Solva has Magnetism as her power, which works likes the Half-Life 2 Gravity Gun, except it allows her attract/repel anything since it's specifically the power to create a "unique magnetic field".
- Token Evil Teammate
Adam ArclightThe Evil Counterpart of Adam Blade, who was considered the last failure of the same project that produced Adam Blade. Even though he carries the same ability to absorb any other Needless ability in the vicinity, Arclight's body has been decaying due to a genetic defect. So he has taken control of the pharmaceutical company Simeon in Black Spot to find a way to keep his body from literally falling apart.
- Anti-Villain: Surprisingly enough, while he is by no means a heroic person and does many cruel things he does want to ensure the survival of the human race by evolving as many as he can to prepare for the eventually Angel Invasion.
- Big Bad: Though there's a Bigger Bad in the form of the organization assisting him, Arclight's the main focus.
- Bishōnen: Noticeably leaner and softer-featured than Blade, though he's still incredibly tall and muscular.
- Body Horror: Far too frequently, from originally being wrinkled and skinless to being to produce tentacles that look like organs.
- Clone Jesus
- Evil Albino
- Evil Counterpart: Pretty clearly set up as Blade's.
- Expendable Clone: His purpose as a clone of Adam Aclight.
- Fake Memories: Only some of his memories come from the original Adam Arclight.
- A God Am I
- Gorn: Constantly causes this.
- Healing Factor: Unlike Blade, Arclight can heal himself from virtually any wound.
- I'm a Humanitarian
- Impaled with Extreme Prejudice: People think they can kill him this way.
- Kill It with Fire: What he does to Aruka.
- Lolicon: Guess who ordered the Testaments to be turned into little girls. Unlike Blade, he's ashamed of it and keeps it a secret.
- Mega Manning
- One-Winged Angel: His God form in the anime.
- Absorbs a alien in the manga to become closer to God.
- The Rival: To Blade.
- Straight Man: He has participated in gags, but he's useless when telling one.
- Visionary Villain: Though he argues he's already become God, he wants to collect all the Fragments there are to become the Second Christ.
- Well-Intentioned Extremist: He wants to ensure mankind will survive and be able to fight against the Angels, which has the unfortunate side effect of killing off most of mankind. Though if they don't do this the Angels will spread the Eden's seed and kill off most of mankind anyways.
- You Have Outlived Your Usefulness: Has this inflicted upon him by Gido and Saten in chapter 109. His body then starts falling apart.
Rira RoukakoujiA Needless with the power of "psychokinesis" who was a gang leader somewhere in Black Spot until she was defeated by Arclight. Since that day, she has become fanatically devoted to him. She also leads Simeon's "Pretty Girl Squad." One of Simeon's "Elite Four."
- Co-Dragons: Alongside Saten.
- Eaten Alive: Eaten by her own Pretty Girl Squad.
- Psychic Powers
- The Reveal: Revealed to be a Eve and the counterpart to Arclight.
- Retcon: Though that doesn't explain how, in a bonus chapter, she was a normal, though powerful, Needless who had a cult following and never even heard of Arclight before he found her.
- Super Power Lottery: Her power makes it impossible for any of Team Blade except Cruz to fight her.
- Vapor Wear: In not one of her costumes does she seem to wear underwear.
Saten / Real Adam ArclightA Needless with the power of the "Fourth Wave," or the ability to suck up heat from his surrounding area and then unleash it in a focused blast from his arms. Technically one of Simeon's "Elite Four," though he has been hiding information from Arclight for his own secret reasons.
- Anti-Hero: He's still on the side of Simeon, but he's shown he's not that bad a guy. He held back against Eve, allowed her to knock him out and heal her dying friends, and without his help, the Eve Story Arc probably would've ended with either Cruz or Blade dying.
- Badass: His true power is so great that Blade isn't even capable of using it to its full potential.
- Big Bad: At the end of the anime. In the manga, he shares the role with Gido.
- Co-Dragons: Alongside Riru.
- Clone Jesus: The Real Adam Arclight in the manga.
- Dragon with an Agenda: His loyalty lies with Gido, rather than Arclight
- Elemental Absorption: The Fourth Wave ability. He's learned how to not only absorb heat, but he can cast it in such a way that looks like he has four Fragments.
- Enigmatic Minion: It's hard to tell whose side he is on.
- A God Am I: After revealing himself to be the real Adam Arclight, he then reveals he plans on going directly to the Angels Galaxy in order to become a complete God.
- Heel–Face Revolving Door: Switches sides constantly later on in the series, though ultimately his only allegiance is to himself.
- I Am Not Left-Handed: His strongest power is the "Fifth Wave".
- Luke, I Am Your Father: Or at the very least he created Arclight just so he could fall apart when him and Gido act on their plans.
- Monochromatic Eyes: More often than not his eyes are blank, but when he's in deep thought or on some close-ups, he'll magically gain irises and pupils. Averted in the anime; turns out he has red eyes.
- Pointless Gauze: Lampshaded in the Eve's Story Arc
- Unlucky Childhood Friend: Eve completely forgot about him despite her best efforts and ultimately killed him.
UtenA little boy who's obsessed with magic. His Fragment is "Bermuda Athport", which allows him to turn things invisible. Another of Simeon's "Elite Four", though the title "Uten" is actually passed down from person to person,
- Axe Crazy: His clone is really unhinged since getting a stigmata.
- Back from the Dead: As a Clone.
- Came Back Strong: His clone.
- Catch Phrase: "It's magic~!"
- Disc One Final Boss: In the anime, he's the first of Simeon's Shitennou they faced and had a power that essentially made him a Puzzle Boss compared to the more direct combat applications of the other three's fragments.
- Stage Magician
- With Great Power Comes Great Insanity: Naturally for most of those who bear Stigmata.
Aruka SchildCruz's older sister who sacrificed herself to save him from a Testament robot at the beginning of the story. Later turns out to be a ruse. She's a Needless with the power of "Fire God's Breath" who can affect people, objects, and even other Needless powers at the subatomic level, and she's not above killing her own brother to complete her mission. The last of Simeon's "Elite Four."
- Defiant to the End
- Good All Along
- Good Is Not Nice
- Off With Her Head: Though Arclight was still able to keep her alive in such a state.
- Send in the Clones: Arclight cloned a army of young Arukas.
- The Mole
- Vapor Wear: Currently, her underwear is not only her pants, but apparently has a gaping hole in the most important spot.
Pretty Girl Squad
The Quirky Miniboss Squad. They are three students who follow Riru directly, and are in charge of getting Blade's body to Arclight so he may survive. There's more like an entire army of "Pretty Girl Squad" members, but we see the most action from these three.
- Brainwashed and Crazy: Saten has used Black Attraction on all of them except Mio.
- I'm a Humanitarian: Eat Riru alive while under Black Attraction.
- Laser-Guided Tykebomb: All of them thanks to Saten.
MioOne of the recurring characters from Simeon's "Pretty Girl Squad." She carries around a deceptively-heavy teddy bear and has the Needless power of "Power". Just like it sounds, she has the power of super-strength.
- Children Are Cruel: She acts like and seems to be a little child, but in the manga, she eviscerated a fellow girl squad member because she started a fight.
- Cute Bruiser: She may cute as a button, but she can easily crush you
- Enemy Mine: After the events at the Simeon building, she stumbles across Cruz and walks the wastelands with him.
- Face Heel Revolving Door: As a result of befriending Cruz, she has a hard time choosing between being with him and being with her friends. in the end she joins Adam Blade's side.
- Genki Girl: She's almost always happy and energic.
- Iconic Outfit: In-universe: Her bear panties. This stops Mio and Disk from attacking the cross-dressing Cruz, since Setsuna gave him several pairs to give to Mio.
- Little Miss Badass: She's not in the girl squad without a reason.
- Panty Shot: At any given moment.
SetsunaThe leader of her trio of "Pretty Girl Squad" with Mio and Kuchinashi, Setsuna uses her "Speed" power to attack fast and hard before the opponent has time to react.
- Fragile Speedster
- Friendly Enemy: Is one to Cruz.
- Green-Eyed Monster: Is jealous that she didn't receive a Stigmata while a member of Team Blade, Teruyama, received one.
- Iconic Outfit: In-universe: Her striped panties. Cruz recognizes her even though he can't see her face because his head is under her skirt.
- Panty Shot: At any given moment.
- Super Speed: her fragment.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: She's so blue.
KuchinashiA girl who never speaks except to bring out her ultimate attack (her name literally means "no mouth"), Kuchinashi uses a fan strapped to her wrist for her Needless ability of "Fragrance," which can paralyze opponents or even partially control their bodies. She communicates her thoughts with a sketchpad and a sharpie that she pulls out of hammerspace.
- Cute Mute: Though she can speak, she prefers not to.
- It's Okay If It's You: Like Blade she feels this way towards Wholesome Crossdresser Yamada.
- Lipstick Lesbian
- Lotus-Eater Machine: Her ultimate attack, which allows people to see their greatest and/or happiest dream. Eve dreamed of correctly guessing everyone's name, Cruz dreamed of seeing his (nicer) sister, Teruyama dreamed of defeating both Blade and Arclight, Gido dreamed of seeing his long-lost assistant who he loved, Seto dreamed of being rich, and Solva dreamed of ruling the world. Disc wasn't affected due to being a Cyborg, and Blade "already was in paradise".
- Panty Shot: At any given moment.
- Talking with Signs
- The Voiceless