A twelve year old boy, and main protagonist of the story. Ralph was the first elected chief.
- Action Survivor
- Beauty Equals Goodness: Ralph is described as fair haired and charismatic, with the build of a boxer. It is implied that this is why the boys immediately selected him as their leader over Jack, because they felt comfortable with him being in charge, despite not knowing anything about him.
- Big "NO!": Ralph's reaction to Piggy's death in the 90's film.
- Blonde, Brunette, Redhead: The blonde to Piggy/Simon's brunette and Jack's redhead.
- Break the Cutie: Alongside with the twins. At the end, though saved, it's implied he'll never be the same as before he landed on the island.
- Catchphrase: Earlier on in the story, Ralph says "Wacco!" quite a bit. He finds himself saying it less and less as the story goes on, due to things becoming considerably less and less "Wacco!"
- Coming of Age Story: Ralph is very happy about the absence of adults on the island, but quickly realizes how much responsibility he must take as the chief.
- Only Sane Man: Not as much as Piggy, but definitely one of the more responsible boys.
- The Protagonist
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Ralph's the Blue Oni to Jack's Red Oni.
A boy around the same age as Ralph. He is not as well accepted by the other boys due to his specs, asthma, and fat.
Another boy about Ralph's age, who wanted to be the leader to begin with, but wasn't chosen in favor of Ralph.
- Adaptational Attractiveness: Described in the book as ugly, but more or less justified in the movies.
- Ambition Is Evil
- Big Bad: He has a Face-Heel Turn that we're not even going to bother to spoil. It was pretty obvious.
- Blonde, Brunette, Redhead: The redhead to Ralph's blonde and Simon and Piggy's brunette.
- Enfant Terrible
- Even Evil Has Standards: Even though he hated Piggy, he's still shocked at his murder by Roger.
- Face-Heel Turn
- Face of an Angel, Mind of a Demon: In the two films.
- He Who Fights Monsters
- Nice Job Fixing It, Villain: In an attempt to kill Ralph, Jack sets the whole island on fire to smoke him out of the woods. If he hadn't done this, the navy ship never would have noticed the island, and the boys would have never been rescued, and Ralph would have been murdered.
- Putting on the Reich: His mask of mud includes the colors red, white, and black...
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: The Red Oni to Ralph's Blue Oni, respectively.
A boy about the same age as the three mentioned above. Simon is often viewed as the model of purity among the boys.
Sam and Eric
A pair of twins around the same age as all the previously mentioned boys. They do everything together, and are usually referred to as Samneric.
A short yet aggressive boy who joins Jack's tribe as probably his most loyal adversary.
The Lord of the Flies
A demonic hallucination that Simon sees in the forest that manifest itself via the impaled pig's head the kids leave as offering to the monster.
- Breaking Speech: Gives one to Simon about the evils of human nature and other unpleasant things going on with the boys.
- One-Scene Wonder
- The Sacred Darkness: In a very, very twisted sense. The Lord of the Flies represents the inner savagery present in mankind, but in a way it is portrayed as something not actively evil in its interaction with Simon, its horrific visage pretty much informing him about its true nature and inspiring him to inform the others. Pity not everyone's so introspective...